some thoughts on boat-WEIGHT.......

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

some thoughts on boat-WEIGHT.......

Postby micah202 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:54 pm

...brought over from another thread

.my initial comment.........''weighed the trailer when the boat was off,,,,so my weights are....1550lbs gross,,,,trailer=687lbs,,,,boatweight=~863lbs with sails and all sailing equiptment...from looking at the boat's build,I'm not sure where the build weight would be reduced much,,but there's some weight to be reduced with a lighter rudder and boom... .....................if I cared :D''

nortorious wrote:You are one of the few to have weighed their boats - or at least to have admitted it. 863 pounds with sails and other personal stuff on board? It is probably closer to the 800 minimum than you think....
The rules for this class for weighing in are:.
Minimum weight in dry condition with all water removed shall be 800 lbs (363 kg). The
hull, keel, rudder, rig, shrouds, stays, and required running rigging shall be included. All
unsecured equipment, and sails, motors, tow rope, anchor and rode, safety gear, and
personal gear shall be removed.
The rules for weighing in for both US based classes are essentially the same..Depending upon what you actually had on the boat, you could end up a bit under! To see, you could certainly pull off everything that should not be on the boat for an official weigh in and weigh it all separately. I hope you do as we need that information as a class. Or rather all the classes and builders need to know where the boats are really ending up weight wise.

yeh,I guess most anything in the class is exploring new territory!

....I weighed the full boat on trailer at a highway truck scale...even though closed,the scale and display were operable,,and I was able to unhitch the trailer from the car.I beleive the scale was in 50lb increments ,,ironically the scale showed 1550!!
...having just bought the boat,,it only contained the basic sailing stuff,,,less the hatches for the companionway and coffin,,,(I mean cabin) bunks.... in weighing the trailer,,I had just launched the boat,so the trailer was wet. I lifted the tires and slid a weigh-scale under each as well as the tongue,one at a time,,,,,,,,so there's some variables either way in the process,but mostly there'd just be tie down lines and sails extra in the weight .

...I'd encourage builders to weigh their boats at various stages, such as once the hull/bulkheads are assembled,,,,,once the full boat is assembled before/after epoxy and fairing,,,and on completion.A standard process would be two bathroom scales and a beam crossing each of the 2 primary bulkheads
.....I once had a used 49er that had belonged to the McKee's,,it was interesting to see that each and EVERY part had been weighed and marked in GRAMS...interesting to see there's a worthy variable in one design spreader weights,,,and what a difference that thought-focus could do to a final product.Kind-of extreme for our purposes,,but I BET there's be VERY interesting discoveries in weighing sheets of plywood at the yard.
...also useful to weigh different components such as the keel separetely.
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Re: some thoughts on boat-WEIGHT.......

Postby admin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:19 pm

micah202 wrote:ironically the scale showed 1550!!

bizarre.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Chad » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Rocky locked the other thread, and this is kinda fun for me so I ran with it a little...
Mist posted his current hull weight of 290#: http://i550class.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... =175#p2739

So for fun I looked over his blog and filled in my weight spreadsheet based on what it looks like he's done, and I get 280#:
Mist weight so far.rtf

( the formatting goes wonky if I just copy and paste the text, so here's a text doc to maybe show it more clearly.)

There's a couple assumptions in there that may not match Mist's build exactly, but it seems pretty close. Back when I weighed my hull at a similar build point, I got the spreadsheet to match within just a couple pounds of the measured weight. Looking at his scale, it goes to 450# and so it would take two to weigh the hull currently. I no longer have my four kart racing scales, and my wife's bathroom scale isn't easy to use at this stage of build. I'm pretty curious where I ended up though.

You can mess with the spreadsheet yourself here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chad

Postby slowpoke » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 pm

I have not yet installed the deck, and I can easily pick up the bow of my boat, or the stern. Maybe 150-200# ?
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Mist » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:24 pm

Boat weight update; The entire deck, including cabin top, of Mist is glassed (one layer 9 oz glass and a layer of peel-ply). The only remaining glass to apply to the topside is on the aft side of frame 110 and the transom. The peel-ply will not be removed until I finish the bottom of the hull, hopefully, I flip the boat next weekend. Since last post the boat gained 30 pounds (now 315 lbs). The deck glassing operation require 1.25 gallon of resin 10 lbs, 3.5 lbs hardener, plus the glass. I'll weight the boat again after I apply the glass to the bottom.
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby admin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:35 pm

That's great news with regard to your progress, Mist! Maybe there will be the first meeting of the i550's on the Chessy this summer...that would be cool.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Mist » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:30 pm

Yah! I'm getting into it recently and am hopeful for a sail on it this year. I wanted to say thanks to Chad for the weight data sheet that he posted several weeks ago. I finally spent some time with it and it will be fun to compare several boats in the future. I've several updates on it to finish and it's a great tracking tool/guide.
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Return to Building an i550