build status

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Re: build status

Postby micah202 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:19 pm

i550sailor@aol.com wrote:
lohwaikin wrote: The rudder is very responsive: I have a full section 4-feet rudder, no tapering. Cheers,

Loh,
Is you rudder the plan set rudder?, if so let me know how you like it. I have mine built but not sure I should have done more research.

....yeah!...congrats!!!

...don't worry 'bout the rudders,,an easy adjustment if you care to next winter.....the 4' is below the hull?
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby slowpoke » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:33 am

I'm in the process of sanding again, also. I sprayed both coats of pro-line two part, with wet sanding in between. It seems as though the orange peel is worse after the second coat. I'm sanding it back down again, this time i plan on rolling it. Any suggestions?
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Mist » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:49 am

Rocky,

I recommend reviewing Russell Brown's "Rolling Perfection" instructions. It's a $3.50 pdf available on his webite. I believe he owns Port Townsend Boatworks and has great results. A few things his method does is thin the paint 15% although Interlux only recommends a maximum reduction of 10%. Another technique he uses is to pour the paint on a flat pallet to wet the roller. I'm attempting his method with a few modifications; instead of using the flat pallet, I'm using a roller pan to wet the roller then rolling the roller in a cookie sheet to even out the paint within the roller. Lastly, I apply to paint to the boat with his technique. Though his instructions are for Interlux Perfection paint, I'm certain you'll get good ideas and technique for your paint, which is similar. One thing I learned in the first attempt is that you need to put the paint on as thin as possible to get level coverage. Also, between coats wait longer than the minimum re-coat time. My next go around I'm going to wait to near the end of the recoat window before I apply the second coat.

On my first attempt the first coat went on so smooth, it appeared as I sprayed it. I 'm going to keep fiddling with technique until I achieve similar results with full coverage.
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby slowpoke » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:28 am

Thanks Tim, I'll give it a try. It was pretty frustrating seeing another $100 get sanded off the boat! What kind of roller were you using?
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Mist » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:18 pm

Rocky,

I use the 9" wide 1/8" TIZ yellow foam roller by Wooster. I bought them from thepaintstore.com. Oh, and another thing, use a new foam roller for each side of the boat. I noticed that by the time I finished one side of the boat the foam roller became over saturated with paint. Therefore, it was putting too much paint on the boat and not flowing out as well as it could have.

BTY, I don't know what happened with the west system yellow rollers but they recently changed and don't seam to work as well as they used to.
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby slowpoke » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:23 am

Thanks, I'll give it a go!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby lohwaikin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:01 pm

Michael,

I built the rudder as per drawing, all 54" of it.
My rudder cassette is 14" tall.
Also about an inch of the rudder top taken by a stopper.
So I should have 39" under the hull.

I have been out sailing it at least once per weekend since launching it in Nov'14.
It's quite a handful to sail this boat solo.
5.8 knots is my best speed (from mobile phone GPS Apps) close reaching (or maybe broad reaching? I can't tell);
I run out of guts before the boat runs out of speed...
I usually ease off the main-sheet, or point the tiller, or both, to get the boat upright and ease off the pressure on my bum...
More crew should make the boat go faster I supposed.

2015-01-11-4 (Forum).jpg

Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Loh Wai Kin
Hull #437 "Big Bad Wolf"
Singapore.
lohwaikin

Postby slowpoke » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:48 am

Loh, any chance you could show me how to make a main? And are you going to make your own spinnaker? Are you using any of the free sail design software online? 5.8 is pretty good for one up!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby lohwaikin » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:36 am

Rocky,

Sure. I will gladly contribute after learning so much from this forum.
Give me some time to pull out my receipts and photos, to get organised a bit.
I will start a new topic.

BTW I use Sailcut CAD 1.3.5.

Cheers,
Loh Wai Kin
Hull #437 "Big Bad Wolf"
Singapore.
lohwaikin

Postby slowpoke » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:37 am

Great, thanks! I've been looking into making my own sails, but I'm not sure how to cut the panels.
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:55 pm

Rudder hung and eleKtric motor and mount on. Is the motor close to the rudder? Heck yes. Is that going to be an issue? Probably not. With the motor tilted up one notch, the rudder swings clear of the prop almost to full tiller-to-port arc.

and rudder unships easily for quick conversion to power. Motor mount is the quick pin-pull lift-off that Eric built for some of the class. SO that's a cinch.

DO I wish I had seated it farther to starboard? Maybe....time will tell.

Port stern quarter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Ford

Postby Tim Ford » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:22 pm

(as seen on FB) Left the backyard and living comfortably at a boatyard. I miss it. :cry:

IMG_3588.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG

Green dot soon.
Tim Ford

Postby Chad » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Woot!
Chad

Postby Marino » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:21 am

The snow has melted away, and it's time to contiune work on i550-307.
Marino Zorz
Toronto, Ontario
Build License 307
Build log: http://photos.app.goo.gl/M2m7Afvf2f8p35nz5
Marino

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:55 am

Got the keel in yesterday. I went pretty well, we ended up lifting the thing up into the slot rather than lowering the boat down on to the foil. I got sort of hung up with about 18 inches into the slot, but we wiggled it a little and went pretty heavily with the McLube and then it slid in easily.

Plan is to launch as early as this coming weekend, but I still have the vang purchase to run and the jib track/leads to install.

IMG_3740.jpg

IMG_3745.JPG
Tim Ford

Postby slowpoke » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:26 am

Looks great !
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby ryderp » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:35 pm

Congratulations, and good luck with your maiden voyage.

Phil
ryderp

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Looking great Tim, can't wait to see some photos on the water.
i550sailor@aol.com

Postby Warren Nethercote » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:43 pm

The first steps .......

My Soling "goin' down the road" behind the new owner's truck. Not only does its departure give me space in my workshop, but it finances the early part of the build.

Tomorrow I am off to judge at the Radial Youth Worlds in Kingston, and on the way back I will stop off at Fast Composites (aka Phil's Foils) in Ottawa to talk about what they can do in way of composite spars. With the Canadian dollar at $0.76 US a Canadian-built spar has certain attractions. If there is anything useful to report I will start a new string upon my return.
Warren Nethercote
Boutilier's Pt, Nova Scotia
Build License 573
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=364
Warren Nethercote

Postby admin » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:42 pm

I hope that when you took that photo, you were saying to youself, "Non, je ne regrette rien."
admin
Site Admin

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:31 am

Get your boat going Warren. We think we got 2 bullets in tonights race, and saw 10 knots on the the speed puck several times, working on little bugs but all in all, the boat rocks!
i550sailor@aol.com

Postby micah202 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:13 am

Noice!!.....congrats man!.
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby admin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:33 am

Had the 2nd sail and the first real "shakedown" cruise yesterday. I wrote it up here: http://nbayracing.com/i550Build.htm

but what I did not add was:

I'm a terrible trailer backer-upper and it takes way too long to get the boat ready to head out in our time of dwindling sunlight and ramped up work schedule. So I'm gonna put it in a slip for a few months. Just in time to hit the zenith of tropical storm season in these parts (no worries, the trailer is a mere 40 yards away). A least the barnacles are growing more slowly.

Couple of observations:

- the 2:1 jib sheet arrangement is super nice
- amazed at how light the helm is even wih the big kite up on a shy reach
- amazed at how stable the boat is, despite being so lightly ballasted. I had the feet in the straps and hiked out trying to put the boat on its ear in 8 kn (jib reaching) and didn't even get close to rail in the water.

who the hell designed this thing?

Tom-i550-shake-down.jpg

and yes, the jib sheet on the port side is missing a turning block into the cleat, aft of the car/track...it's "in the mail."
admin
Site Admin

Postby jray » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:09 am

Without crew 10's will put her rail in the water. A little more and you might loose rudder control. Drop the main and she'll come back down. Good fun!
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:53 pm

admin wrote:Had the 2nd sail and the first real "shakedown" cruise yesterday. I wrote it up here: http://nbayracing.com/i550Build.htm

but what I did not add was:

I'm a terrible trailer backer-upper and it takes way too long to get the boat ready to head out in our time of dwindling sunlight and ramped up work schedule. So I'm gonna put it in a slip for a few months. Just in time to hit the zenith of tropical storm season in these parts (no worries, the trailer is a mere 40 yards away). A least the barnacles are growing more slowly.

Couple of observations:

- the 2:1 jib sheet arrangement is super nice
- amazed at how light the helm is even wih the big kite up on a shy reach
- amazed at how stable the boat is, despite being so lightly ballasted. I had the feet in the straps and hiked out trying to put the boat on its ear in 8 kn (jib reaching) and didn't even get close to rail in the water.

who the hell designed this thing?

Tom-i550-shake-down.jpg

and yes, the jib sheet on the port side is missing a turning block into the cleat, aft of the car/track...it's "in the mail."

Good to see you out there Tim, I added the 2:1 jib and made the attachment point, my attachment point to crane launch, works great.
- My helm is maybe a little too light, I think the mast needs to go back a little to help with pointing.
- the boat does seem stable ( I almost wished I didn't go to class maximum on keel weight).
- it's a work in progress,,,,, sail it and have fun! (we hit 11.8 Wednesday)
i550sailor@aol.com

PreviousNext

Return to Building an i550