build status

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Re: build status

Postby Mist » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:15 am

Measure Twice Cut Once, a perfectly place extra hole. Darn it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby Mist » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:20 am

Fore deck is installed on Mist
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby jray » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Looking great Tim. What are you using for the deck top? Looks light, will it stiffen up enough to hold crew weight when someone has to go forward? Good to see your progress pictures.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Mist » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Jon,

The whole foam thing is a slighlty costly experiment. I have a few ideas and I need to become familiar with foam fabrication and layup. The deck is 1/2" Corecell foam (model A500). I ran a few tests prior to selecting it. I compared 1/4" Okoume w/ 10 oz glass on oneside to the 1/2" foam 10 oz on oneside & 6 oz on underside. The foam was 2/3 the weight and a 1/3 stiffer. Now in reality, I maybe slightly concerned. The foam combination in the cockpit floor is very stout, no doubt, stiffer than ply. On the foredeck the 10 oz glass is not installed on the exterior yet so I'm alittle cautious about achieving the desired stiffness. If it does turn to be flexy I'll add fore and aft stiffners underneath. The jury is still deliberating. The 10 oz exterior cloth won't go on until the cabin top is complete. I'll update on this topic as I progress.
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby admin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:47 pm

Lookin' good man!
cheers,
-TF (and is it a race to see the first eye Five Fitty on the Chesapeake? btw You still owe me a fone call ;-)
admin
Site Admin

Postby Chad » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:16 am

admin wrote:Lookin' good man!
cheers,
-TF (and is it a race to see the first eye Five Fitty on the Chesapeake? btw You still owe me a fone call ;-)

Yes, looking good TimK! Consider using stitched cloth on the bottom (yeah, too late now I know), it'll make the foam a bit stiffer than woven cloth. Skim/squeegeeing a mayo coat of microlight filled epoxy into the foam first?

-and admin-Tim, way to spot yerself a bit of advantage! "Hey, I'm 200% closer to done, let's race!" (smiley)
Chad

Postby Mist » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:29 am

Hey TF,

I apologize greatly if I was supposed to call. I haven't been avoiding a call just absent minded. By this time now, my mind has stopped I can't remember what I was to call about. I'll try to call tomorrow after work.

There are way too many variables for me to make a race out of launching Mist. Actually, I'm a little dis-hearted each time I post as my progress, to me, seems slow. I just look forward to both of us on the water somewhere on the beautiful Bay.

Chad,

I don't want to sound un-informed but what's stitched cloth? I have been loading the foam pores prior to laying the glass.
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby Chad » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:16 am

Sorry, stitched or knitted just means not woven, so the fibers don't go over and under each other. Uni, biax, and triax are examples of stitched cloths. The fibers are straighter, so they take loads more quickly rather than unbending a little bit first. Hard to find biax in weights as small as 6oz though.
Chad

Postby Tim Ford » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:12 pm

I was joking about the race to be Foist on the Bay, but it wood knot surprise me in the least if Tim K beats me in....work is a killer lately and the house is raising it's ugly head to get some major fixes done, and soon, too! So Tim K has a shot at it, I think his progress is pretty darn good (also I am outside and limited by the weather).

Hell yes, RACE IS ON!!! :lol:

Tim K, dont sweat the fone call no big deal, we can touch base this weekend if you'd like....I'll be halfway to Hampton at SMCM this weekend. Hope to take a dinghy out with the kid on Sat.
Tim Ford

Postby Mist » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:05 pm

All-Righty! Motivation, Gotta Like THAT!!
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby Tim Ford » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:50 pm

West System products that have been consumed. I have one more shipment due today from Jamestown and that's it.

I hope...

DeadWestSoldiers.jpg
Tim Ford

Postby lohwaikin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:25 pm

Ha ha, I am well past the 8th gallon of epoxy and the top deck has yet to be glassed, underside totally untouched, keel and rudder yet to fair.
Where did all the glue gone to...?

Cheers,
Loh Wai Kin
Hull #437 "Big Bad Wolf"
Singapore.
lohwaikin

Postby slowpoke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:46 pm

I have an epoxy supplier out here in oceanside where I'm getting epoxy for $75.00 for a 1 1/2 gallon kit. It mixes at 2 to 1, so you get 1 gallon of resin and 1/2 gallon of hardener. Their web site is fiberglass source.com, (760)722-1666.
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby micah202 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:36 pm

..tim,,,how come only 6 gal of resin for the 10quarts of hardener...the other 4 became pisscans? ;)

...rocky,,that sounds like a good deal,,,if I'm guessing correctly,,that resin will be a bit thicker viscosity than 5:1's usually are,
,which isn't a problem for glueing ,be sure to use a rubber squeeqee for laminate(applying cloth),,,but the resin isn't recommended for sealing bear wood...they probably have a designated -sealer- for that,,and the sealing,penetration,economy would be MUCH better using that.,using 2 coats.

...with 'Carbon' as an example,I see that even with the 5:1 resin some builders have a challenge to fully seal bare plywood! :shock:
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby Kevin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:22 pm

I'm on gallon 11. Like a fool I started with a 5gallon and didn't buy a second. That would have been the smart move.

I like plastic scrappers for laminating cloth.

I had no issue sealing bare wood using 2 coats of 5:1 epoxy so I'm not quite sure what issues Carbon might have had. I found coating the interior was a good use for that little extra resin from taping that was left over.

That was my experience anyway.

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby slowpoke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:57 pm

I find there's always a place to put that exta epoxy so far. This stuff allows you to thin with 10% acetone to seal the wood, but I tend to use it un-thinned, and just brush on my leftovers. The rear of the boat is already sealed and painted, I didn't want to try doing it after I got the cockpit done and on. the only areas not painted are the points where I'll be epoxying the cockpit floor down.
If anything it seems like this stuff runs a little too easily, I've gone back and re-coated some taped areas that I felt the tape was starved in.
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:01 am

micah202 wrote:..tim,,,how come only 6 gal of resin for the 10quarts of hardener...the other 4 became pisscans? ;)
:

there are actually 7 in the shot, the one on top the boat is all but empty....I must've tossed out a couple back in the early days, too, before I got the idea of saving them for a foto. Some of the qts were from earlier projects that didn't involve the i550 so there's a bit of cheating going on with the foto. The final reckoning of how much supplies got gobbled up will come after the boat gets wet...in my carefully logged and filed :roll: receipts from JTD and such. riiiiiigggghhhhtttt
Tim Ford

Postby micah202 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

Tim Ford wrote: The final reckoning of how much supplies got gobbled up will come after the boat gets wet...in my carefully logged and filed :roll: receipts from JTD and such. riiiiiigggghhhhtttt

...probably best to lose those records,,'specially if there's a wife involved! ;)
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby ryderp » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:06 am

Ignorance is bliss.

Phil
ryderp

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:01 pm

What records? ;)
Tim Ford

Postby slowpoke » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:16 pm

I was going to ask what the average amount of epoxy is that is needed to complete a build, but I see I'm too late; Nixon's secretary strikes again!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby slowpoke » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Bye the bye, i finally posted a few fuzzy pictures on my blog. I'll try to get some more tonight. Just to let y'all know, I've completed the inside rear of the boat, and have started taping the cockpit. The cockpit floor and the deck sides are glassed on the underside, and I have a roughed out keel sleeve curing around my keel. Aft of the cockpit opening I've got everything painted inside, so I'm thinking about glueing in the cockpit floor before I do the side decks, so I can tape the cockpit sides to frame 169. If you look at the pictures you'll see that I just don't have the room to work with it as a single unit. Slowly the wheel turns..........
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby admin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:29 am

nice! progress is a good thing.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Chad » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:07 pm

last paint this morning:
IMG_0662.JPG
Chad

Postby micah202 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:18 pm

Chad wrote:last paint this morning:
IMG_0662.JPG

...ooooohh,,aaaahh..........verrrry noice!
micah202

PreviousNext

Return to Building an i550