Standing rigging

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Standing rigging

Postby jray » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:55 pm

I need to get some input on rigging. I believe the wire sizes were 5/32" for the forestay and 1/8" for the sides. Any advantages one way or the other from Muilt-strand and Dyform wires. I don't think I want to try swaging my own t-ball fittings or terminals. There are companys that will put the t-ball fittings on the wire lengths. Is there a type of swageless compression fitting anyone would recomend.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Re: Standing rigging

Postby Kevin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:41 am

Jon,

Both Jeff and I used Rigging Only for our wire. They swagged the t-ball fittings on the top and left the other end a foot too long and bare for us to terminate. We used hi-mod connectors which I'd recommend. I got the stud version which threads into the top of the turn buckle. And if you don't have a large cable cutter, a dremel with a cut-off wheel works pretty effectively. Very easy to install. The hard part is lining up the strands in the cone piece which is pretty small on the 1/8" wire. And yes, 5/32" on the forestay and 1/8" for the shrouds is what I used.

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Tim » Wed May 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Is any one using pbo or other light rigging?
Tim

Postby Chad » Wed May 04, 2011 9:13 pm

I'll be using a combination of 5mm Dynex Dux and various other vendor's 3mm heat-set dyneemas. I've been collecting lengths from a couple sources, to see how they work out.

I think the PBO option looks really slick, is probably better from a windage if not weight and longevity perspective, but I like the cost and DIY aspect of the dyneema-based products.
Chad

Return to Building an i550