What look?

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

What look?

Postby Chad » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:36 pm

So as paint time gets closer (!), I need to think what I want the thing to look like. I'm thinking something in the light seafoam green, color of water in Bermuda sorta thing, or as close as I can get blending a couple cans of Perfection. Then a big ol vinyl shamrock plastered over the bow. Sorta like this:

graphics.jpg

It looks like Perfection can't be tinted by mere mortals, just blended with other Perfection colors. Interwebbing around, it looks like some folks have been successful having a car painter tint it, but I'm leery of the folks around here. Anybody have any other bright ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chad

Re: What look?

Postby jray » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:02 pm

You can have a local sign shop cut out vinyl letters for you. I found they don't want to help design it, so you will probably have to provide them with a picture or drawing of what you want. I used them on the Twist and think they are great, sure beats masking and painting, they hold up very well. Big plus is, what ever you want to do can be done easy, the hardest part is making they are just where you want them before burnishing down.

wtzokj.jpg

Edit: After re-reading everything I believe I missed what you were asking, Sorry :oops: Don't know what advice to give you on tinting hull colors. Might visit a custom shop that specializes in boat and car paint jobs. I've seen some great paint jobs on power boats around here, though I don't know what products their using to get the effects.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:13 pm

I'd put the shamrock on the stern...it's going to scream OCS to every RC on the planet. I'd also be leery of putting anything that can delaminate on the bow no matter how serious the adhesive is. We've even had the Rolex stickers peel off in big waves and those things attach with the tenacity of super-glue.

But that doesn't answer your question, does it....
Tim Ford

Postby cstay » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:03 pm

I believe the stern is the perfect size for a large mustache.
cstay

Postby Chad » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:14 pm

cstay wrote:I believe the stern is the perfect size for a large mustache.

...only when it's upside down :oops:

Tim Ford wrote:I'd put the shamrock on the stern...it's going to scream OCS to every RC on the planet. I'd also be leery of putting anything that can delaminate on the bow no matter how serious the adhesive is. We've even had the Rolex stickers peel off in big waves and those things attach with the tenacity of super-glue.

But that doesn't answer your question, does it....

Hmm, I've never had trouble removing regatta stickers but boat graphics have always been tough- like hairdryer and razor blade tough. I'm pretty sure there's a whole different level of adhesive used? ...and they usually aren't slapped onto the boat by the bow guy hanging over the front as the boat motors out to the first start, the way regatta stickers are!

White boats are great for OCS avoidance, but they also damage the soul of the builder. :P
Chad

Postby micah202 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:17 pm

Chad wrote:
White boats are great for OCS avoidance, but they also damage the soul of the builder. :P

..oh sooo true...definitely there's sooo much more to owning an I550 than hiding on the startline...
....''I build my boat,,,I'm a proud builder/sailor,,,I'll stand-out with PRIDE''!!! :D :D :D
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby Kevin » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:49 pm

A handle bar mustache would work as cstay recommends. But he can put that on his boat :-).

If all the boats are white except your, then OCS is an issue, If they are blue, yellow and green, then I think things balance out a bit.

I'd go for an oversized shamrock not quite fitting on the side of the bow versus wrapping it around the bow, but that's just my design eye popping out. A sign guy can do just about anything with a laser cutter these days so go for it.

Oh, and if you want a vector file of the i550 class logo, please advise. I'm considering making a red "dot" to go over the i on my main sail.

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Kevin » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:50 pm

oh, ps. my wife recommend I stop cleaning up my cassette and just slap some paint on it and get it done. I'm thinking some auto clear coat over the rough part to get through the season and then finish it properly over the winter might be the plan.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Chad » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Yeah, the shamrock thing would be neat because it wouldn't be clear until you saw the boat bow-on. One of those "oh, I get it now" kind of things. I also thought of putting one across the bottom, centered around the keel opening- again you'd only see it when the boat was heeled...
Chad

Postby lohwaikin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:56 am

Hi Jon (#061 Critical Twist), what is the radius for the sheer? Looks real smooth and robust. How do you do it? Can you show some "underside" (sheer installation before deck panels) pictures?

Cheers,
Loh Wai Kin,
Hull #437, Singapore.
Loh Wai Kin
Hull #437 "Big Bad Wolf"
Singapore.
lohwaikin

Postby jray » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:55 am

I'm quite sure I have several pictures of the sheer clamp both before and after decking. I will get them up on another thread tonight.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby admin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:40 pm

There are regatta stickers and there are RegatTa stickers. The Rolex ones are not like the WEST MARINE things that go swimming on the first wave. Suckers will require a razor blade if left on for more than 4 days in sunny weather.

They have to withstand this kind of abuse (and it looks like this one, below, isn't!) Just sayin'

Ranger-sailing-yacht-at-the-Maxi-Yacht-Rolex-Cup-regatta-Image-Carlo-Borlenghi-Rolex-665x345.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Postby Chad » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:00 pm

dollars to donuts, that hull has wax on it...
Chad

Postby Tim Ford » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:47 pm

No doubt. Also, probably put on by some hung-over bowman minutes before heading out for Race 1. That's never a good plan. Don't ask me how I know....
Tim Ford

Return to Building an i550