Iron jib, motakker, 12v paddle

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Re: Iron jib, motakker, 12v paddle

Postby stealth » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:44 am

jray wrote:Here is a very crude drawing of the electrical on the Twist, minus the radio, lights, and gauges. All of the battery wiring is six gauge, don't go to small here as the smaller the wire the more resistance it has. Larger wire for longer runs. I put in a charge control unit for the solar to prevent the solar panel from back feeding from the battries during the night, draining them. Some solar panels have this built in others do not, good to check with the Mfg.

Scan0001.jpg

In connection with a electric trolling motor could the new UK sail be a advantage: http://www.uksailmakers.com/News/SAIL-P ... 1_793.html

As alternative to a dirty Petrol powered outboard would I personally choose a green and environmentally friendly Gas powered outboard: http://golehr.com/lehr-marine/

The above makes sailing a greener sport :):)
stealth

Postby jray » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:15 am

Just upgraded my aux from the Minikota trolling moter to a 2.5 Suzuki four stroke. I've been using the trolling motor for almost three years now and have the impression that it will get me into trouble sooner or later. Just not enough when I really need it! After dropping a battery and the trolling motor I am actually saving on weight with the Suzuki. Just above idle I have more power then the electric at full. So far a great addition to the boat. I looked at the Leer and other options and finally decided on the Suzuki, Honda makes a 2.3 which would work just as well but it is air cooled and much louder then the Suzuki. My biggest problem with having a gas aux on board was the fuel. The fuel tank is on the motor and a tank will last most all of the racing season. All up weight with fuel is only 30lbs. The Honda is two pounds less.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:48 am

I was close to going with an electric, as I don't want an engine at all, but I guess in the end, gas it will be,,,, what motor mount did you use?.
i550sailor@aol.com

Postby jray » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:04 am

I got the motor mount from Eric one of the guys who started the Portland group. My understanding is they had shop make up enough units to keep the costs down, so they had extras for sale. That was three plus years ago. I don't know if any are still available.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby admin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:32 pm

A quick question Jray: some four strokes don't allow the engines to be oriented in certain positions, like laid over on their control arm, to prevent oil from the crankcase leaking into the cylinder(s). Is the Suzuki immune to that? I saw the shot of yours lying on the passenger seat in the VW. Bold move!
admin
Site Admin

Postby jray » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:59 am

The Suzuki is not immune to the four stroke curse. One side only or in the tilt/carry position. If I find the need I will make a fixture to stow it in the cabin. Since I'm normally sailing short handed I plan on just leaving it tilted on the transom when sailing. A bit more time to get through the break in but so far very happy with the little motors performance.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Previous

Return to Building an i550