Iron jib, motakker, 12v paddle

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Iron jib, motakker, 12v paddle

Postby Chad » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:39 am

I don't know anything about trolling motors. I've thought of fitting a sculling oar, but the idea of rowing a broke boat (I know it'll happen at LEAST once!) back to the ramp upwind is unappealing. I'm fitting a battery anyway, so why not use a trolling motor to throw on for a slow ride back? What say the fisherfolk?
Chad

Re: Iron jib, motakker, 12v paddle

Postby jray » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:42 am

All I have been using for an aux is a 50lb thrust electric trolling motor. Works great and has gotten us in on several occasions from a mile or so out. It's not a outboard so speeds are slower, depending on the battery or batterys in my case, one forward and one just behind the keel box, run times are in the six to twelve hours. I keep everything charged with a solar panel over the cabin and haven't had to take either battery out for charging all summer. I'm not one to suggest going green but I didn't want the smell and fumes of gas in the cabin where everything is stowed between sails. If pressed I could make up a drawing of the e- system I used. Not hard to do but for those on a weight diet, batteries are heavy. The plus is they are mounted low and you get to decide where to put it, or them. ;)
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby ryderp » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:37 am

I just bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Minn-Kota-Freshwater-Transom-Trolling/dp/B004360NKY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345606211&sr=8-2&keywords=minn+kota+trolling+motor from Amazon for $99. I did spring for the circuit breaker however. It's only 30 lbs of thrust, but I'm hoping that it is strong enough - the reviews were very good and I liked the shorter shaft. We'll see what it looks like when it shows up.

I have no desire to have gas on-board and of course gas motors are quite expensive.

I'm going to have a couple of paddles as well - you never know...
ryderp

Postby slowpoke » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:16 am

I just bought an electric trolling motor off a friend for $30.00 u.s., I used to have one on my dingy, would ride around in it for days before charging the battery. I knew when I started building that I would use an electric motor.
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby lohwaikin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:53 am

I never knew that the electric solution would be cheaper than petrol OBMs. A Suzuki DF 2.5 hp 4-stroker cost SGD 960 (approx. USD 770) here in Singapore. A Tohatsu MF 3.5 hp 4-stroker costs SGD 1450 (approx. USD 1160). But if it indeed is, may I know what's your cabling route like between battery(ies) below deck and the trolling unit on the transom? Maybe we need charging terminals (with waterproof covers) on the cockpit panels to avoid dismantling the battery(ies) below deck? I always thought the batteries are integrated into the top housing and the direct-drive motor immersed. And yes, I bought myself a collapsible paddle with boat-hook.

Solar panels sound expensive and very practical for this island sunny all year round. But I've no idea how the charging circuit is like. Would you please enlighten?
Loh Wai Kin
Hull #437 "Big Bad Wolf"
Singapore.
lohwaikin

Postby Chad » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks for the replies- sounds like it'll work fine for my needs. I'm wanting to avoid the gas issues as well, although the idea of leaving the mast at home and going tubing with a 10 hp outboard a la Mac26 is a sorta appealing, eh? -ok, meh be not.

I thought of fitting a cig lighter plug somewhere aft in the cockpit. I don't think it's a good idea to use an external cig lighter for charging from a solar panel though, since they aren't too waterproof with the cap off and the plug in.

A friend gave me a handful of 12v batteries that his company used as the backup power for automatic gate systems- they're about twice the size of a lantern battery. They'll fit next to the keel under the "bunkflat".
Chad

Postby Kevin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:02 pm

I'd recommend a long shaft motor and wish I had bought the long shaft version of the torquedo I have. I have a very low mount because of the short shaft on the motor. For a casual sail I can't leave the motor hanging on the back, it drags in the water. Especially true in Lake Michigan chop, which typically can be 2-3 foot when the winds out of the North.

The no gas thing is fantastic.

I have a paddle as well which has come in handy a couple of times.

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Chad » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:17 am

Torqueedo would be nice, but overkill for my needs I think.

There's ways of adding an articulating arm to mount the ob to, so it retracts further forward into the cockpit- handy for folks that sail where the rules require the motor to remain "mounted".
Chad

Postby jray » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:21 am

lohwaikin wrote:Solar panels sound expensive and very practical for this island sunny all year round. But I've no idea how the charging circuit is like. Would you please enlighten?

I will attempt to put a drawing of the electrical system I installed and the materials used. It will have to be later this weekend as I'm a little busy right now. As normal I probably did way more then needed but am happy to pass the information on. Even with the solar and two batteries the cost is much less then a new gas outboard.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby jray » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:29 pm

Here is a very crude drawing of the electrical on the Twist, minus the radio, lights, and gauges. All of the battery wiring is six gauge, don't go to small here as the smaller the wire the more resistance it has. Larger wire for longer runs. I put in a charge control unit for the solar to prevent the solar panel from back feeding from the battries during the night, draining them. Some solar panels have this built in others do not, good to check with the Mfg.

Scan0001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby ryderp » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:50 am

What did you use for a battery? I bought a 12V deep cycle battery but when I got it home I saw that it has a note on the side saying that it needs to be kept level. Obviously that isn't going to work on a sailboat. Did you use a fully sealed battery?

Phil
ryderp

Postby micah202 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:09 am

as an aside,,,be SURE there's enough distance between the motor and rudder so yer don't chew up the rudder when someone shouts 'hard to starboard'.........don't ask me how I know! :shock:
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby jray » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Optima

I used NAPA marine Optima batteries. There are others available out there. I like them because if I have problems they are warranted locally, are sealed and can be mounted sideways or upside down if you like.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby TexLex » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:12 pm

jray wrote:Optima

I used NAPA marine Optima batteries. There are others available out there. I like them because if I have problems they are warranted locally, are sealed and can be mounted sideways or upside down if you like.

What size are you using?
TexLex

Peregrine
Hull 030
http://i550peregrine.blogspot.com/
TexLex

Postby jray » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:35 pm

I believe they are group 24's or the equivalent. If I find they are some different size I will let you know. I have been running basically on one all summer with no problems keeping it charged. Having two on board is kind of redundant. I don't mind the extra weight down low and I like a backup available if needed.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby jray » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:00 pm

Batteries are a D34M

Check the websight optimabatteries.com
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby cstay » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:01 am

Wheel chair batteries are deep cycle and fully sealed. They also cost like 70 bux and are small and lightweight
cstay

Postby ryderp » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:05 am

An update on the trolling motor - I sent back the 30 lb thrust motor that I bought for the boat and instead bought the same Minn Kota motor with 55 lbs of thrust. The smaller unit worked fine but It struggled a bit pushing the boat into moderate winds. I was concerned that it wouldn't have enough power when I really needed it.

Phil
ryderp

Postby jray » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:33 am

I've found that the 55 lb is as small as I would want to go and have been in a situation that I wished it was a bit more. Even with the 55, when the winds are 15+ plan where you drop sail. It is not enough to push upwind much in those conditions. It will get you in to the dock, wind off the forward quarter or aft just fine. Not a big deal, just have to learn how it performs plan your docking and you won't have any problems. In no wind conditions I've used it to get in from 2+ miles out no problems, not fast but moving.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby lohwaikin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:03 pm

This was back in January. Got myself a Suzuki DF2.5 4-stroker.
That was after a discussion with boater friends who adviced on at least some minimum form of engine power to get back to shore in case of emergencies.
I live near the equator with average tide difference of 1.5m, producing very strong coastal current along narrow straits.

2014-01-21-5 (Forum).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Loh Wai Kin
Hull #437 "Big Bad Wolf"
Singapore.
lohwaikin

Postby Tim Ford » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:54 pm

Jray, I would be thrilled to see that wiring diagram, if you wanted to give it a go with a pen on a napkin. When it comes to wiring, I'm Joe the Plumber.
Tim Ford

Postby jray » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:03 pm

I drew it up for someone some time ago. If I can't find a copy of it, I will do it again and get it to you.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Tim Ford » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:15 pm

Thanks! I vaguely remember seeing a mention of the drawing somewhere....maybe back in the "old" days? Anyway, I'm too lazy to research it, and way too tied up, time-wise, lusting after farm animals. ;)
Tim Ford

Postby jray » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:00 pm

Found it! Just look back about ten posts in this thread.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby admin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:59 pm

DUH!! big slap to the forehead.

I was looking at the forum without logging in and then logged in just to post. Lesson learned!
admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Building an i550