Half Cabin Panels

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Half Cabin Panels

Postby lohwaikin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:00 pm

Advice required:

I have faithfully produced the half cabin panels as per drawings #29 & #30, and stitched them together.
After installation onto the frames (and with epoxy filleting all completed), I noticed that the lower edges of both side panels are almost 1" off deck level.
I believe the Meranti marine plywood is too stiff to make the contours required of the design.

Any suggestion how to make the side panel lower edges closer to deck level, or any means of smooth transition?
I have been thinking of gluing on fillet sections of EP foam then smoothen it over with thick epoxy.
However my idea will make a smooth exterior, but an unsightly protrusion inside the berth (may knock into the occupant's face).

Loh Wai Kin, Hull #437, Singapore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Loh Wai Kin
Hull #437 "Big Bad Wolf"
Singapore.
lohwaikin

Re: Half Cabin Panels

Postby Chad » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:32 pm

I didn't build the ply cabin, but....

Can you push the bottom edge inward with your hands? (Carefully, I know others have snapped the ends of their cabin panels by torquing on them too hard). If your test indicates that you can push the edge inward, then the deck will constrain the edge once it is installed. The trick will be to get the cabin edge held in place while you fillet and tape that edge- probably temporary blocks screwed through the deck, some wedges, a temporary stiffening batten, etc.

If the edge of the cabin won't budge, you're stuck with adding a filler of some sort. You could use a sliver of ply edge to edge with the cabin piece, making sure you tape both sides. Or you could use masking/packing/duct tape as a dam on the inside once the deck is in place, tool some thickened epoxy into the gap and then fiberglass both sides.

You say filleting completed, is that to the frames, or just the longitudinal joints of the cabin panels? If the cabin is still removable from the boat, you can scribe the bottom edge to fit the deck which will effectively lower the whole cabin by the gap amount (and require the tops of frames 89 and 110 to be similarly trimmed/lowered).

Lots of choices!
Good luck.
Chad

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:38 pm

If you look at

http://www.nbayracing.com/i550buildPage2.htm

05.30.09 Torqued

I think what I did was to bring the sides into confirmation with the deck and hold them there with clamps. If you do this, you have to let the forward ends of the house float free (they'll move forward by virtue of squeezing the sides in). Once you have the sides squeezed in far enough to make contact with the deck, along their lower edge, you can anchor the leading (forward) edges with cable ties or something. I clamped mine and put weights on the ends, over a fairly long period of time, to let the panels gradually assume the flat shape along the front of the house. But the bottom line is: get the side edges clamped (anchored) flush with the deck, and THEN set the forward edges.

Worked for me, hope it isn't too late for ya!
Tim Ford

Postby lohwaikin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:23 am

This is not looking good, I've glued all cabin panels to the 3 frames.
Side cabin panels are just too stiff to be pulled closer.
Nevermind, I'll just blend the slope to deck level with foam and epoxy.

Cheers,
Loh Wai Kin, Hull #437, Singapore.
Loh Wai Kin
Hull #437 "Big Bad Wolf"
Singapore.
lohwaikin

Postby ryderp » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:39 pm

Instead of using foam, I'd suggest just taking a piece of Meranti and bend it along the shape of the cabin side, then take a pencil and transfer the shape of the bottom of cabin side onto the new piece(s) of plywood. Cut out the plywood to match the curve on the cabin side, and then butt glue the piece to the existing side. Use glass tape on the inside to provide some structural strength until the whole cabin is glassed. My entire cabin is butt jointed (made out of cedar strips) and once it was glassed on both the inside and out is was extremely strong.

In general, don't worry too much about this kind of thing. I have little patches all over the boat and no one but me will ever know they are there. Fairing, sanding, and painting covers up a lot of mistakes.

Phil
ryderp

Postby lohwaikin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:02 am

Thanks guys.
I've fixed the gap according to Phil's recommendations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Loh Wai Kin
Hull #437 "Big Bad Wolf"
Singapore.
lohwaikin

Postby Tim Ford » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Looks good, Loh!

With the i550, there are always more than one way to skin a cat (with apologies in advance to all cat lovers...own a couple myself, though they'd argue strenuously that they own me)
Tim Ford

Postby ryderp » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:38 pm

The side panels look great - they flow into the deck really nicely.

Phil
ryderp

Return to Building an i550