Low and Be Holed...got some fairing to do

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Low and Be Holed...got some fairing to do

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Woe on to thee who has seen the bottom and does not yet see the promised land. It has come to pass that there are some areas on the bottom that are not as high as others. So my salvation is probably some thick, thick 410/pox mix to build these areas up, high enough to fair and fill in some seriously depressed square inches? Anyone have any brighter ideas?

It is probably a half inch of so off the curve. In the worse spot(s)...gulp

IMG_1245.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Ford

Re: Low and Be Holed...got some fairing to do

Postby micah202 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:13 pm

..sounds like the plan
,,,,unless yer want to go back-in-time and build a full male jig before laying-up the panels :shock:
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby micah202 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:16 pm

..sounds like the plan
,,,,unless yer want to go back-in-time and build a full male jig before laying-up the panels :shock:

..from everything I've seen,this 'time-consuming extra-step' would save MUCH time and frustration with the build overall ;)
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby Chad » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Use a notched (square notched, like in the flooring department, for spreading tile bedding) trowel to apply a build layer or two, and 36 grit on your longboard to knock it down. Once the longboard and a long straight batten say the shape is fair, go back and fill the gaps left by the notches.

Use cheap, thin epoxy and offbrand filler powder unless you have stock in West...
Chad

Postby Chad » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:15 pm

micah202 wrote:..from everything I've seen,this 'time-consuming extra-step' would save MUCH time and frustration with the build overall ;)

...and full length longitudinal stringers and shear clamps, IMO.

I've given out plans for this build jig:
Jig_iso.pdf

...and to it I would also add some longitudinal stringers forward between f53 and 89 if I were to build again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chad

Postby admin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:31 am

Chad wrote:
Use cheap, thin epoxy and offbrand filler powder unless you have stock in West...

advice of the month!
thanks Chad, I'll follow up on the flooring tool....actually own a couple.
admin
Site Admin

Postby micah202 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:53 am

Chad wrote:
micah202 wrote:..from everything I've seen,this 'time-consuming extra-step' would save MUCH time and frustration with the build overall ;)

...and full length longitudinal stringers and shear clamps, IMO.

I've given out plans for this build jig:
Jig_iso.pdf

...and to it I would also add some longitudinal stringers forward between f53 and 89 if I were to build again.

....methinks that would help,,but -nothing- like building the hull upside-down on a full frame!
...as I say,it seems like it'd be a lot of work,,but I'm sure it'd build a better boat quicker.

...sorry,no PDF's :cry:
micah202

Postby Chad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Sorry, I missed your "male" jig description, and assumed you were talking female.

I can see that assembling and glassing the hull panels on an upside down jig would help create a fair hull since a builder could more easily see the fair shapes, but then what?

I think the glassed hull shell would still be very wobbly, and then you'd need a female jig to hold fair while you installed the interior. Unless you propose installing the bulkheads up into the upside hull- you first!

I think this boat's hull skins are too thin and pliable to hold a fair shape without the interior parts. I think right side up in a female jig is the only reasonable way to hold the skins fair while adding the structure that keeps it fair.

The Portland folks are reporting reasonable success with their more elaborate female jig, and my hull came out very fair (except in places where I didn't have enough support as mentioned above), so I don't think there's a big problem that needs a radical new solution. Heck, even the no-jig builders achieved fair hulls, once they realized the need to introduce some lateral curvature to the frame sides.
Chad

Postby ryderp » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:03 pm

Another solution might be to use 1/2" plywood on the bottom panels and then groove the edges so that the 1/4" panels sit in the groove. The low spots that I had were at the cradle frame locations and were generally because the side panel plywood slipped down relative to the bottom.

Filling the low spots was a pain, but it really didn't take that long although it was discouraging at the time because it's really hard to see the low spots until everything else is faired.

Phil
ryderp

Postby micah202 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:47 pm

....I'll shift the discussion of male-plug to another thread entitled 'discussion of male plug' ;)
micah202

Return to Building an i550