Nice zebra look !

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Nice zebra look !

Postby jerome » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi guys,

over the weekend I built the wooden block on which the keel plate will rest whenever the keel is down. I have no idea how you call it. But i think it is really nice looking. Took me a while do built but I really enjoy the final result. It is made of plywood sheets glued together so all the different layers give the piece a zebra look which I intend to keep for sure. The part will not be painted.
So I am wondering how is should finish it off without messing it up.
So from Lamination 201 ;) , knowing that the part will be exposed to sun. water and abuse from the keel plate BUT that I want to keep its original look, here goes the question of the day =

+ Should I laminate it with fiber glass and epoxi ?
+ Should I just lay many layers of resin but no fabric ?
+ Should I not use resin, but instead a UV high gloss finishing enamel ?

Tried to attach a picture but could not. The file is probably too big but I dont know how to resize it. I am still battling with my new Apple computer :(

New try of posting the picture. I think it will work :)
CIMG8803- reduced.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jerome on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
Built in Turkey, Currently sailing in Sao Paulo , Brazil
jerome

Re: Nice zebra look !

Postby jray » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:40 pm

All of the cedar strip builds I know of use a light weight glass epoxy, finished with a clear coat. I'm not sure how it will hold up with the keel weight and movement. Why not a good quality lemon or teak oil? It would become a maintenance but would allow for the abrasion that might happen between the plates.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Ron Bowman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:01 pm

I agree with Jon on this, Jerome, that there will be a certain amount of abrasion between your top plate and the zebra block so you may have some ongoing maintenance trying to keep it looking good. I just painted the top of my keel box with two part polyurethane paint and it's scuffed up from the aluminum keel plate. I think your best bet to keep it looking good would be a layer or two of glass on top finished clear. But then you could have some UV issues if you don't keep it coated. It's easier to see paint failure than clear. I'm not sure why there is abrasion. My keel is very tight in the sleeve. It doesn't move around inside the sleeve much. In fact, it's hard to go up and down when it's humid. But it does hum when we get up over about ten knots. So maybe the scuffing comes from the humming?
Ron Bowman

Postby Kevin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:39 pm

I would glass it with some 6oz cloth (maybe 2 layers) to give it some protection and then fill the weave with some 105/207 west systems epoxy mix. The 207 hardener has UV protectors built in. That's what is used for that clear finish usually. You could also use regular epoxy and then a 2-part polyurethane clear varnish, which is paint without any tint to it, to clear coat the part as a 2nd option. That's what I used on my mast which looks great and has held up just fine. Although I'm not stored outdoors and that's a big factor. As for clear versus paint, I think you'll know if either fails. Clear finishes will go milky when they fail. I have some window sills on my porch that are in need of some refinishing if anyone has some spare time this summer :).

Ron, you might consider beveling that trailing edge of your keel to stop that hum. It's just slowing you down.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby slowpoke » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:48 am

Hi Jerome,
Just checked your blog, not too long now and you'll be sailing! Congratulations on getting your cockpit glued in!
I would glass it also, the 2 layers of 6 oz. glass with the clear hardener sounds real good. ;)
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby jerome » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks fellows for all the good advices !
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
Built in Turkey, Currently sailing in Sao Paulo , Brazil
jerome

Return to Building an i550