Fairing in bulb to foil

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Re: Fairing in bulb to foil

Postby jray » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Did most everyone glass the bulb after attaching the strut and fairing? That was my thought but wanted to ask the advice on which direction most went with. Thanks!
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Ron Bowman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi Jon,

I did not glass my bulb. Just faired and painted it.

Ron
Ron Bowman

Postby jerome » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:56 pm

İ still do intend to glass mine but just for abrasion purposes. Before this thread started, my game plan was to heavily laminate the bulb to foil. Now that İ have learned all about it, İ will just use a minimum of epoxi-colloidal and NO fiber to leave that area as flat and squared as possible. Just like the big guys ! ;) But İ will nicely fair and glass the bulb itself.
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
Built in Turkey, Currently sailing in Sao Paulo , Brazil
jerome

Postby Kevin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:49 pm

I just bolted mine together and to the keel fin. Then I filled and faired it together. No time spent glassing the lead bulb. If it get's scrapped up, then it will get refinished (some day) was my feeling. If you make it bigger, you are just creating more drag too.

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby jeff.dalsin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:47 am

Jerome-

I don't think you will get the abrasion resistance you want by glassing the bulb. I thought is that bulb has such concentrated mass, and therefore high inertia, that substantial contact with anything will pierce the glass skin becuase the underlying lead is quite soft. My 2 cents.

Jeff
jeff.dalsin

Postby jray » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:02 am

Not taking the extra time to glass the bulb will be great. Still have a lot of fairing to do to get everything right. Thanks for the input everyone! All goes well it should be well underway before the weekend is over.

Edit :D. I'm going to cross bolt to the strut, any thoughts on bolt size? I will probably use standard zinc coated bolts. My thought is two 1/2" bolts.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Kevin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:33 pm

I used 1/2" bolts. 2 in the bulb only (way forward and aft) and then 2 through the keel strut (fin). After drilling the holes, I'm pretty sure the bulb only bolts were not really needed. Ron just did the bulb to fin bolts.

k.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby slowpoke » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:53 am

I did three bolts, one 1/2 inch at the thickest point, and two 3/8 inch further aft. Actually used all-thread, so I could cut them to length as needed.
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby jray » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:14 am

That actually sounds good Rocky, I might be off but in regards to the bolts attaching the strut, the bolts are under a sheer stress not a pulling or stretching. Thanks for adding to the options. I'll probably over build as is normal for my thought process. ;)
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby slowpoke » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:02 am

Don't forget to drill the holes in the foil oversize, then fill with epoxy, then re-drill to the correct size. I don't know for sure if you really need to, but i figured better to be safe...
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Kevin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:01 am

yes yes and yes. Always drill and over sized hole, fill and then re-drill the correct sized hole. Water will find a way in eventually. It is the enemy and it will win given enough time. Threaded rod with nuts on both ends isn't a bad idea either. Usually the nuts are smaller than the bolt heads which will allow slightly smaller holes for them.
Cheers, k.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby jray » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:51 pm

Here is another question. I shouldn't be allowed to over think things, it only slows the building down. :lol:

Has anyone considered the different rates of thermal movement between the lead bulb and wood keel strut? I deal with this often between wood and metal at work. My thought is to get the bulb filled in around the strut leaving about a 1/6" around and using a product like G-Flex for final assembly. My concern is with using a ridged epoxy that might develop cracks as time goes by, having the boat in and out of the water. Any thoughts?
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Chad » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Wood does almost all of its swelling and shrinking with changes in moisture content. Thoroughly seal the wood with multiple epoxy coats (unsheathed ends, especially), and it becomes very stable. The lead is likely to have a larger thermal expansion rate than the foil, so GFlex isn't a bad choice to cope with any minor movement. GFlex still dries "hard", just not brittle-hard like typical non-toughened epoxy. It shouldn't be thought of as a caulking substitute that is able to handle gross movement, for instance.
Chad

Postby Kevin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:02 pm

g-flex has a 30% elastisticity compared to regular epoxy that has about 2%. So if you are using some of that g-flex 655 that you got to put your mast together, then I'd agree with chad that it sounds like a good idea. I had pretty uneven gaps around my keel so I used silica filled epoxy. I didn't notice any issues after my first year of sailing, but we are still early in the life of the boat.
k.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Chad » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:11 pm

RM90 keel test:
IMG_0603.JPG

Hmm, should I start on MKII now, or just wait for this one to become fish habitat first?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chad

Postby micah202 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:01 am

Chad wrote:RM90 keel test:
IMG_0603.JPG

Hmm, should I start on MKII now, or just wait for this one to become fish habitat first?

...hmm,maybe jump up and down on the bulb to replicate slamming in waves :shock: :shock: :shock:

,,,,,,, ,,maybe not ;)
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby Chad » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:21 pm

[rationalizing] let's see, sin30 is half of sin90, so as long as I keep the heel angle under 30 degrees, I've at least got a safety factor of two. Hopefully, no slamming occurs when the keel is at 90, though! ...or nobody bails over the high side to stand on the keel...
[/rationalizing]

I think it'll do for my local lake, with flat water and generally light air. Winter's coming, and I'm sure I can use an extra project or two.
Chad

Previous

Return to Building an i550