footrest location

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

footrest location

Postby slowpoke » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:01 am

For those of you that have already done it, how did you determine where to place the footrests? right now it's a little hard to lean out off the side to see where my feet end up, without falling! Any suggestions? :?:
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Re: footrest location

Postby jray » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Nothing scientific here, just sat in the cockpit and guessed where the best location would be. I believe mine are about 12" out from the sides. I can tell you I'm very happy I put them in. ;)
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Tim Ford » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm only 5'8"...I was once 5' 8.75" . At this rate, I'll be 4' 2" by the time the boat splashes. At any rate, I hung my ass way out on the rail and used a car battery to see what felt comfortable as a footrest. I believe I'd rather have the bensons too far out than too close to the centerline. Well, to some extent anyway.

If you'd like, I can measure where the top of the benson is from the boat's centerline.

-- the incredible shrinking man
Tim Ford

Postby Chad » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:00 pm

If your cheeks are hanging more than a couple inches past the rail, your feet are under the straps. But just sitting, or pulling hard on a line, I don't think you'll be further out than the top of the thigh or mid-butt. So I put my foot braces at about the distance from my feet to the crease where my cheeks meet the back of my thigh, with my legs slightly bent. It seemed right to me to place them a parallel distance from the rail, rather than the cockpit sides.

A friend's boat had them way too close, and to drive you had your knees bent way up (those silly stainless hoops that fold up "for your convenience"- meh) . It was really tough, with no leverage or ability to brace, sorta like squatting. Don't do that!
Chad

Postby Tim Ford » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Looks like yours are about 6 - 8 inches inward from mine. But, you're probably 6 inches taller. Plus my daughter is 2 inches shorter. So......

GeorgeBenson.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Ford

Postby ryderp » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:50 pm

Here's a picture of my bensons (before I put the grip paint on). I basically just sat on the deck and put them where I thought they'd be comfortable. I've only sailed the boat a few times, but I think that I got them right.

Phil
ryderp

Postby lohwaikin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:13 am

My bensons are placed 16" from centerline, for a reason: there's nothing underneath therefore the bensons must serve as cockpit floor stiffeners too.
The bensons are split fore-aft at frame 169, because the traveller track is going across there.

2012-12-29-2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Loh Wai Kin
Hull #437 "Big Bad Wolf"
Singapore.
lohwaikin

Postby Chad » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:30 pm

I used my bensons as on-top stringers also, so aft of f169 the only structure underneath is a centerline girder.

Mine are about 20" from top to top, for what that's worth.
IMG_0911.JPG
Chad

Return to Building an i550