Help a brother out....

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Help a brother out....

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:48 pm

KwanDree2.jpg

OK. So, I am at a quandary point. A crisis point. Not exactly Cuban missile crisis magnitude, but up there. Certainly as high as the break-up of Sonny & Cher, or the resignation of Richard Millhouse Nixon.

As per instructions of the lovely people at Interlux, I did a wipe-down with 2333 solvent of the entire bottom and topsides (remember the proper definition of "topsides," those of you listening in Yorba Linda) in preparation of a layer or two of Perfection. The thing about 2333 is: it must have a very low vapor pressure, because it takes a long while to evaporate and before doing so, it puts a glossy shine on the hull--kind of like those people in the BowFlex ads that are all lubed-up and shimmery and/or sweaty.

So, with it sitting there all lubed up, it REALLY emphasized and brought out all the lines that just aren't prefect. Squiggly lines where they should be straight. Snaky lines where there should be a gentle curve. You get the idea. Now, herein lies the question: Am I being too much of a fanatic? Or, should I delay painting once again and go back in with the fairing compound?

Some considerations are:
1) I think my neighbors are getting a bit tired of the hoop house in the backyard
2) I ain't getting any younger
3) my wife says it looks fine and she has an amazing eye (but cares a lot less about boats, in general)
4) once the 2-part poly goes on, you can't apply epoxy filler without sanding all that crap off.
5) I might be OK with the boat less than perfect, but will a potential buyer?
6) will I be OK with the boat less than perfect, actually?
7) is everyone else's boat perfect so that it looks like it came out of a mold?
8) most of the "imperfection" is at places along a radius and I have some fairly wide radius curves,. it is hard to achieve a perfect radius especially a radius that transitions out from narrow to wide.
9) It is, afterall, a homemade boat

So: what do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Ford

Re: Help a brother out....

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:03 pm

KwanDree3.jpg

this part is the worse....ugh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Ford

Postby M&S » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:11 pm

Tim,
I think that it is time to paint.
Answers to you numerically identified points:

Some considerations are:
1) I think my neighbors are getting a bit tired of the hoop house in the backyard
Oh, Yeah? gimme their phone numbers, I'll talk to them. Help ya out.
2) I ain't getting any younger
Good point. None of us are.
3) my wife says it looks fine and she has an amazing eye (but cares a lot less about boats, in general)
She loves ya, man. And she's right.
4) once the 2-part poly goes on, you can't apply epoxy filler without sanding all that crap off.
That's a job for the Fall when the water gets hard.
5) I might be OK with the boat less than perfect, but will a potential buyer?
If that is their main bargaining point, say something about their legitimacy and raise the price.
6) will I be OK with the boat less than perfect, actually?
7) is everyone else's boat perfect so that it looks like it came out of a mold?
No, everyone else's boat has things they wish were more perfect. But they don't take pictures of the bad areas and share
them.
8) most of the "imperfection" is at places along a radius and I have some fairly wide radius curves,. it is hard to achieve a perfect radius especially a radius that transitions out from narrow to wide.
Yes, and that is why most boats don't have hard chines. Regard them as Tubercules and drag reducers.
9) It is, afterall, a homemade boat
AND it is beautiful. Many admire your cockpit curves.

Tim, it is time to paint.

Tim
M&S

Postby Chad » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:00 pm

Your list didn't include "T Hutch is my neighbor and C Eichenlaub built him a perfect i550 and I wanna beat him at the 20xx Worlds (sic)."
From what your list did include, I'd say it's time to paint.

I did a *very little* bit of "surface adjusting" between paint coats, with some Quik-Fair. So it's never too late! Are you doing Perfection all the way under, or just topsides (not from YB, so yes using term correctly)? Doing a bottom-specific paint like Performance Epoxy on the bottom gives you one more shot at the apple, since it gets sanded smooth whereas Perfection is untouchable when it's dry. Just requires another tenth of a boat-unit to add another set of cans to the paint shelf...

May I gently say that the one other boat I have reviewed in person, and which subsequently sold, had a significantly lower level of fit and finish than what is visible in your pictures.
Chad

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Have I mentioned, lately, how helpful and fabulous you guys are? thanks a honest million....great responses and not what I thought I'd hear!

take care,
tf
Tim Ford

Postby Chad » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:35 pm

Tim Ford wrote:helpful

...and don't forget to add the dimples. 4" disc grinder standing by, just let me know the address. Will ship, no charge!
dimples.jpg
more dimples.jpg
Chad

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:13 pm

Gotta have the DIMLPLES!! love the dimples.
Tim Ford

Postby ryderp » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Last Summer I was showing my boat to a friend and told him how I was going to fix this imperfection and that paint issue, etc. He took the beer in his hand and poured it all over the boat, then crushed the can and threw it in the cockpit, and said; "It's a sailboat, not a work of art." That's when I decided just to finish the thing up and get it in the water. Now it has dirt on it from trailering and a bit of blood too, but it floats and it seems to sail just fine.
ryderp

Postby M&S » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:03 pm

Is this a builder INTERVENTION?
Take the sandpaper away, search the cabinets for hidden stashes of the stuff. Even 400 grit is too much temptation.
Your neighbors? Painting is silent, noise complaints are eliminated. Gimme their phone numbers. I'll really fix your getting the hoop shed out of their line of vision. You've built a boat. A beauty. now it is time to paint and sail.
With greatest respect,
T & Susan
M&S

Postby Tim Ford » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:12 pm

(sniff...sob) I love you guys.... (snurp...blubber...sniff)
Tim Ford

Return to Building an i550