Waterline.

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Waterline.

Postby noemar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Has anyone figured out a simple way to determine the waterline on these boats?
Noel
noemar

Re: Waterline.

Postby Chad » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:39 pm

Trick question!

Looking at some pics (Kevin's, DBSS), the empty boat sits with the tranny in the water a little, and the nose an inch or two above the water. That's not the waterline I'd paint though- it'll look really goofy. I arbitrarily chose about an inch above the bow knuckle and above the chine at the transom as the two ends of my waterline. It looks fine, and should end up covering the wetted surface 90% of the time.

As for method, I used the string across level surfaces trick: level the boat (side to side mostly), then level a couple sticks off your bow and stern datum points (I used some adjustable sawhorses I have), then stretch a string over the sticks (I used spring clamps to weight the string end and provide tension), and make little tick marks where the string touches the hull- you move the bow and stern ends a little in opposite directions until the string just kisses the hull, not so that it lays along the length for any distance. Then, using 1/2" or 3/4" 3M Fineline tape, connect the tick marks in as smooth a line as you can, sighting along as you go and redoing it until you're really happy with it.

waterline scribing day.jpg
waterline done.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chad

Postby Merit 25 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Laser level would also work, but is quite a bit more pricey than Chad's solution.
Merit 25

Postby Kevin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Merit 25 wrote:Laser level would also work, but is quite a bit more pricey than Chad's solution.

Compared to all things boat, a laser level is dirt cheap. Less than a turnbuckle and 2 thimbles. I painted all with 1 paint, perfection, and didn't worry about the waterline. I sanded out the bottom chine to chine, it's not "shiny" but it's darn smooth. Some day it will get repainted and that may change. Who knows.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby admin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Kinda begs the question why put a wooderline on a drysailed boat? (FYI wooderline is how we pronounce waterline in Baltimore)
admin
Site Admin

Postby noemar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:02 pm

If it ever gets done it may sit on my mooring in the New Bedford,MA haarbah(as we say in MA)
By the way I will be visiting the grandchildren in Ellicott City this weekend. How far away are you from there?
Noel
noemar

Postby Chad » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:55 pm

admin wrote:Kinda begs the question why put a wooderline on a drysailed boat? (FYI wooderline is how we pronounce waterline in Baltimore)

I'll drysail mine, but wanted the sandability and durability of a hard paint for the bottom. So I needed a line to stop at, to separate the sanded bit from the shiny bit. And if there's a line, might as well be something like the "right" line, I suppose...
Chad

Postby Chad » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:01 pm

...and here's a pair of pics Jon has posted elsewhere of his boat at rest. His isn't as bow-up as some others, maybe has sails/gear forward?

Chad

Postby jray » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:18 pm

The second picture with no wave action is where she sits. If you look at the hull just above the water you will see the waterline I used for the bottom paint. Basically came up about two inches above where the blisters were from the first paint attempt. ;)
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby noemar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:16 pm

Chad, pics you attached not accessible on my computer??
Noel
noemar

Postby Tim Ford » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Boy is that a nice looking boat. It doesn't look like 18 feet either, until you glance at the CattaLeener 27 on the starboard beemo.

Noemar, I am amir 20 mins from Ellicot City....depending on what you consider to be Ellicot City these days, as it has morphed into a boundaryless metropolis since I used to hang there (pre-tourism) in the 60s 70s and 80s....but I'm about 20-25 minutes from the donut factory (otherwise known as the patapsco river bridge), in the Towson/Ruxton area. I'll be home all weekend, bring an organic respirator with you for some fun with 2-part poly-U paint!!!
Tim Ford

Postby Chad » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:54 pm

noemar wrote:Chad, pics you attached not accessible on my computer??
Noel

Here's plain links to the sources, hope this works:
download/file.php?id=67&mode=view
download/file.php?id=225&mode=view
Chad

Postby noemar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Thanks
Noel
noemar

Return to Building an i550