spinnaker measurements

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

spinnaker measurements

Postby slowpoke » Fri May 03, 2013 2:28 pm

I know this might be posted somewhere else, but could I get some spin measurements? I've seen the square foot/meter stuff, but what I need is luff/leach/foot/sq meter. I'm a firm believer in the 2 spin method, with both a reacher and a runner, so if you have both, can you give me the measurements for both? :D

Thanks!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Re: spinnaker measurements

Postby Chad » Fri May 03, 2013 5:53 pm

I haven't pulled any measurements off mine yet, and with it snowing (!) today, I'm not going to be able any time soon it seems. I asked for a single, AP kite, and found this from my sailmaker:

"The spinnaker has a true area of 39.34 m2 and a foot length of 18.5'. We might be able to go a little bigger on it but with only one sail I think it needs to be a little more all purpose and not overlap the main too much."

and there's this thread
Chad

Postby ryderp » Fri May 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Here are the dimensions of my Spinnaker:
Luff Foot leech
Spin 29.75 22.22 24.91

I would not have gone this big except that I bought a sail that was already built. I'll probably end up buying a smaller chute some day.

Phil
ryderp

Postby slowpoke » Wed May 08, 2013 2:42 pm

Any others?
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Tim Ford » Wed May 08, 2013 4:25 pm

ok, as mine were sort of swiped from MAD sails (same designer) they are:

luff 28'6"
leach 25'5"
foot 19'4"

but that may not be the final as the builder said "Yoda" may want to "tweak it" himself.
Tim Ford

Postby Kevin » Mon May 13, 2013 8:04 pm

<yoda>
Me thinks 18" to the luff you should add. Save you angst whilst you first hoist it will. Nicely fit a viper kite should be, 425sqft they are. A higher clew and shorter leach they have.
</yoda>

For the non-StarWars fan...
Add 18" to the luff of Tim's measurements. Better yet, get your rig up and then measure sprit tip to masthead for your sail maker. Rig rake will impact that measurement so YMMV. I think the viper kite seems to be a good fit. I have a used 'old cut' kite that I plan to hoist to see how it fits for future reference. That class might be a better source for used kites than the m20 kite which I feel is about 3 feet too long in the luff.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Chad » Mon May 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Guessing "yoda" in Tim's note refers to Dave Ullman...

-forgotten has he about sailing more than ever I will know-
Chad

Postby micah202 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:36 am

...no measurements,,but I'd have to say that an old set of melges 20 sails can be adapted to the i550 nicely!

...the chute's clew end's up ~2-3' behind the shrouds
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby Kevin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:14 pm

I'm assuming that position is with the pole articulated to weather 45 degrees. Has the chute been altered at all? Erwan's boat struggled with the big chute in light air and the luff seemed just a little too long, maybe 18" too much.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby micah202 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Kevin wrote:I'm assuming that position is with the pole articulated to weather 45 degrees. Has the chute been altered at all? Erwan's boat struggled with the big chute in light air and the luff seemed just a little too long, maybe 18" too much.

..if you're referring to the melges chute,,, I believe I had the pole straight forward for such a comparison,,,and yes it was long for the i550,,,thus 'adapted' for the i550 by having a sailmaker chop the appropriate amount from the midsection
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby Kevin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:49 pm

Yes, I was referring to the m20 spinnaker. Ron's was not modified so it had 33' luff or something like that. Your modified dimensions would be helpful for comparisons. I need to remeasure mine as well since it's been enlarged, I'm told that adding to the middle was much harder then trimming some out.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby micah202 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Kevin wrote:Yes, I was referring to the m20 spinnaker. Ron's was not modified so it had 33' luff or something like that. Your modified dimensions would be helpful for comparisons. I need to remeasure mine as well since it's been enlarged, I'm told that adding to the middle was much harder then trimming some out.

...my mast's a bit short so any measurements would be scewed :?
...best to just send the required #'s too the loft guy,let him do his magic,,,sometimes we just try to do -too-much- ourselves!! ;)
micah202

Return to Building an i550