...Portland configuration vs Class.org rules....

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Re: ...Portland configuration vs Class.org rules....

Postby micah202 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:00 pm

....I think that 'totalXS' made an important suggestion on SA as to collecting actual data that relates to the measurement on hulls.
....I really think the realities of the results of a set of hull measures would make it pretty clear that we're getting into a very semantic argument when we compare rules,,what they allow,,what is needed to allow a novice,on-floor homebuild ,,and how to stop a 'builder with intent' from walking through,,,,,,,and then,,once more boats are on the water--just how little all the variations actually matter!!

...attachments--it looks like those are dead-links--I'll see if I can 'revive' them,,otherwise,they are in post #2305 on the SA thread

-----------------------
....from 'XS'.....
Here are the promised quickie measurement forms for both the North American i550 and i550class rule sets. They cover only the basic hull measurement checks. All of the measurements are pretty easy to get with a measuring tape, a straight edge or two and while you can do it yourself, a helper will make it easier and go faster.
For all the fretting about hull shapes, very few have ever bothered to do a measurement check and even fewer have made that information public.
I would ask the anyone who does this please post the results. If not here, on your respective websites and newer Openi550 one.

Attached Files... it looks like those are dead-links--I'll see if I can 'revive' them,,otherwise,they are in post #2305 on the SA thread

Attached File NA measurment form.pdf 30.15K 6 downloads
Attached File i550class measument form.pdf 29.17K 4 downloads
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby admin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:45 pm

nice work on this move, fellows ,espec. micah202!
admin
Site Admin

Postby micah202 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:32 pm

admin wrote:nice work on this move, fellows ,espec. micah202!

....thanks,,though I'd say that the most credit goes to the folks who were involved in the past on both sides of the 'divide',,,,holding back from public commentary,,,,yet providing relevant information to intermediaries to put forwards......this has helped a lot,,a clear sign that there's a lot of hope,,will to find a good workable centre to move forward on.
....will all parties be -fully- happy with the result??....possibly not,,there's always going to be some differences,but with some 'deferral to consensus'**,,,we should be able to find a place to centre.

.......**...of course ,,we'll need to have a 'stake-holder' base to get that consensus agreement from,,,,should that be boat-owners,,,builders,,plan holders?,,,I'm not sure...

..........hopefully an interim executive council is coming together,,,who'll brainstorm with all parties,,,come up with some suggestions,,,all on a forum accessible to all stake-holders ,,so all parties can feel involved.....once a couple of the exec-council have confirmed their willingness,,and both 'groups' have ratified the interim council,,,some key descisions on structurecan be made.....

......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby Chad » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:46 pm

micah202 wrote:...CHAD...after having a gander,,I'm not clear about all those colums in the spreadsheet....
.........are the last 2 columns ..''PDX proposal 2/23'',,and ''Version 3C'' the final iterations of each rule??..once you confirm that's the case,,I'll do my best to cut/paste these 2 columns onto one page,so that a side-by-side comparison can be acheived ;)

Yes,
each column was an attempt to format each rule proposal in a similar way for side by side comparing. At some point the numbering systems diverged and made that more difficult…

the 2/23 pdx proposal was the last from them, and as far as I can tell is what is published now on their site
the 3c version was the last version the rest of us came up with
Chad

Postby Tim Ford » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Juat an opinion, but the latest exchange between Watershed and Eric on the SA thread makes me think, and why do we want to have anything to do with this guy? At this point, I'm thinking, let PDX be PDX and let''s move on being us.
Tim Ford

Postby slowpoke » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:06 pm

I second!!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby micah202 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:10 am

......I really don't blame you guys,,it was a sad event to see eric firing-off like that ,,especially after the restraint and good will shown from these quarters so far.
...let's remember that there's something beyond eric here,,,and although it's not very obvious,,,there IS some shifting going on over there,,as well as a review on approach within the strange little 'council-of-four' :?

....it would not be a bad thing if something of a (proposed)uni-rule set were established,no?

............that's about as far as I can speak publicly before there's a bit more developed in the 'group'
micah202

Postby Tim Ford » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:54 pm

Well, ya know, someone from the PDX group COULD grow some BALLS and tell Eric to STFU.

Someone in PDX should reign that guy in.
Tim Ford

Postby Marino » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Can someone tell me something. I read a lot about unification on this thread, but when I go to the i550NA site (which is suppose to be open to discussions) there is no threads that I can find about unification.
Am I missing something here?
Marino Zorz
Toronto, Ontario
Build License 307
Build log: http://photos.app.goo.gl/M2m7Afvf2f8p35nz5
Marino

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:14 pm

an interesting observation, I rarely go there. Maybe micah202 can answer that one?
Tim Ford

Postby micah202 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:37 am

Tim Ford wrote:an interesting observation, I rarely go there. Maybe micah202 can answer that one?

....yeh,,there's rarely much activity on the NA site,,something of a dust-bowl.
...yer saw a fresh post in the last2 months?
,,,,,,between here and SA,,I'm pretty sure all are covered--otherwise,,I just email directly with the parties over there
micah202

Postby Big_Dog » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:56 am

Happy Thanksgiving
Here's an update from the unificationist’s ....

The group formed to explore reunifying the i550 has been working though the different rule sets with some progress.
We are working to develop a new rule set and operating with the following mission statement:
A: Neither group should feel they had to 'surrender' to the other's rule.
B: Minimize the number of boats, built to the current rules, eliminated by the unified rule.
C: All groups feel validated in some way.
D: The rules are kept simple, easy to read, follow & apply.

...We ask that all parties keep in mind the potential benefits for all i550 owners if we can unify as a single organization, we greatly appreciate the restraint shown by some parties, most of the time, and request that the goodwill continues to grow. Part of this project has been to collect measurements from our own boats in order to have some actual data. To move forward most effectively, we need to better understand the variations in the boats built to date. If you are willing to help by measuring your hull please PM me, Jray, or couchsurfer (micah202)
Jon
#36 – Still In the Dawg House
Columbia, SC - Lake Murray
Big_Dog

Previous

Return to Building an i550