Chuck's i550 (#525) in AL

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Chuck's i550 (#525) in AL

Postby chuckand » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Greetings,

I've been considering options for boat construction and have gravitated toward the i550 (wide cockpit, half cabin) based on available information, boats on the water, and a generally good feeling about support from the community at large (read... lots of "been there, done that" folks willing to share information to help get more boats sailing).

That said, I'm not "all in, gung-ho, to the moon" at this point; my approach is to focus on some sub-projects such as keel/bulb and rudder that have a clear path to completion while I gather knowledge, references, and determine what I want the outcome to be. I'm going to do my best to not reinvent the wheel and will likely be leaning on you guys plenty along the way. Looking forward to new friendships and sharing what's going on!

Anyway... that's where I come from and where I'm going. It's a pleasure to be part of this forum and I've learned a lot just re-hashing what's already been shared. Thanks to all those that administer and contribute to this resource. I was a little "on the fence" until I found an active online community focused on the boat rather than the politics.

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
chuckand

Re: Chuck's i550 (#525) in AL

Postby admin » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks for signing up and welcome.

I was thinking, you know, we COULD start a thread on the Affordable Care Act....
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:46 pm

(you may need one more post to activate the PM function)
admin
Site Admin

Postby chuckand » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Gald to be here...

Already got updated bulb files from Chad; hoping to turn them into a plug shortly. It'll keep me off the streets anyway... and out of ACA threads ;-).
chuckand

Postby micah202 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:19 pm

chuckand wrote:Greetings,

.................... at this point; my approach is to focus on some sub-projects such as keel/bulb and rudder that have a clear path to completion while I gather knowledge, references, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)

..welcome!...sounds like a great,pragmatic approach ;)
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Bulb

Postby chuckand » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Borrowed Chad's bulb artwork and got a buddy of mine to loft a 3D model; got a few tweaks to make, however it's not far from carving into foam (did I mention I have a 4' x 4' 3-axis CNC router in my garage?). Attachment is first cut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chuckand

Re: Bulb

Postby micah202 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:02 pm

chuckand wrote:Borrowed Chad's bulb artwork and got a buddy of mine to loft a 3D model; got a few tweaks to make, however it's not far from carving into foam (did I mention I have a 4' x 4' 3-axis CNC router in my garage?). Attachment is first cut.

...NOICE!!...sounds like a handy tool in th'box!!
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:36 am

Chuck,
Welcome to the class. I am doing the same here in Colorado, my keel, rudder, carbon fiber compression post will be complete in the next few weeks, so that they will be done and out of the way before my garage rapidly shrinks.
i550sailor@aol.com

Postby mirjo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:56 am

Hi
good luck with the build
and good clew with finishing things like keel asap
mirjo

Return to Building an i550