how much paint ?

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

how much paint ?

Postby jerome » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:50 am

Went to West Marine yesterday to check out what paint they had available. İ will use Brightside for deck, Perfection for hull, and VCOffshore for under water line. But İ have no idea how much İ should buy... Any ideas ? İ know some of you guys mentionned this on your blogs (or was it on the forum of the old site ?) but İ am too lazy to look it up.
Organizing all that data is crucial.....!
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
Built in Turkey, Currently sailing in Sao Paulo , Brazil
jerome

Re: how much paint ?

Postby jray » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:22 am

I dont know if this will help out, One full coverage of the hull bottom for the paint that I am using is 3 pts, 48 oz per coat. Many paints require diffrent coats to achieve the final product. I'm not sure how many coats for the products you are useing. It is a fun and trying time in the build, it is good that paint can be covered with more paint. Been there done that! :oops:
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby bendoo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:27 am

buy too much and return what you don't open......I can never figure it out accurately enough to be confident that I got just the right amount.....and NOTHING is worse than running out mid job...
just don't lose the receipt!!
bd
bendoo

Postby Kevin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:53 am

Since I keep my boat on the trailer I didn't use bottom paint. I primed with e2000 (??) and then topped that with perfection. For the record, both the primer and perfection are 2-part paints and the thinner needed for it is very nasty. An organic respirator is an ABSOLUTE must. Don't even think about it without one. Even in the open air I wouldn't do it. And wear double gloves to keep the stuff out of your skin if at all possible. Jeff used Brightside and said it worked well for him. And both our boats held up well through their first year of sailing. My next paint job will be with a 1-part system.

And I'll 2nd Ben's advise to by an extra quart or two. Easy to return, especially to worst marine.

k.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Return to Building an i550