C-TECH rig

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

C-TECH rig

Postby Justwannagofast » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:28 pm

I may have missed it on here....but....does anyone have a Spar drawing from C-Tech
If so please could you send to me. Geoff@velocityboatworks.com
Justwannagofast

Re: C-TECH rig

Postby micah202 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:48 pm

....an aside,,but you might want to see what 'Forte' has for reasonably 'local' carbon masts,,
,,they did good stuff for the rocket22's
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby jray » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Justwannagofast wrote:I may have missed it on here....but....does anyone have a Spar drawing from C-Tech
If so please could you send to me. Geoff@velocityboatworks.com

I don't remember any complete drawings, section drawings and measurements only. If anyone has more then that it would be Kevin or Chad. Might drop C-Tech a email, great people to work with, they might have what you're looking for.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Tim Ford » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Jon, I don't remember seeing anything that resembled a full-on drawing either. I am a little bit heartened to read that you don't remember one, as the sheer amount of items I seem to be unable to hold on to these days is scary. (I'm blaming it on being on overload...too many things for the limited harddrive in my head to store).

Wonder if there is anything on the old i550 forum?
Tim Ford

Postby Chad » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:08 pm

Here's the first draft of what I got from C-Tech (I don't think there is anything proprietary here, I'm careful about that stuff):
McNeely Mast sketch.pdf

…and my more fully filled out "shop drawing" to use while doing the fit-out:
i550_Mast.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chad

Postby Justwannagofast » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:41 am

Thanks guys, looking at Forte, but they need a place to start, so putting together an info package. I wish there were more hours in the day.
Justwannagofast

Postby Tim Ford » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:02 pm

A guy who used to have a hull in progress who left the class (long story) was particularly dismissive of For-Tay's product. He said the layup was crappy. I have no particular beef about anything in the forte line-up, have used one of their poles for years on a 36 footer, but the workmanship on the CTech bits does seem to be a notch better than the F company's.

That is all.
Tim Ford

Postby Chad » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:24 pm

My prod tube is from Forte (I needed it sooner in my build than I wanted to wait for the rest of the rig), and my impression is that it isn't as well made. It just has a coarser, rougher aspect to it, and I've seen little voids where I've cut into it. This is a generic tube, not a mast, maybe they do different work on their masts, dunno.
Chad

Postby Justwannagofast » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:03 am

I'm suprised with the info that is out there that Forte doesn't have a decent product. I really want to offer Carbon, I will keep working on getting the costs down. It's time consuming.
Justwannagofast

Postby Kevin » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:43 am

I'll dig a little in the way back machine and see if I can find some info. I believe I have the dimensions used for my rig, which is the same tube as Chad's only with 1 spreader and the hounds above the forestay to lock in bend at the tip for that masthead kite.

When I was looking for help with rigs I go nothing from Forte. When I got a quote just for the mast tube it was just the tube and it was 2x more than I paid for my entire rig from c-tech (granted I got a deal due to awesome exchange rates at the time).

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Justwannagofast » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:44 am

Right now. Dwyer wants to do the aluminum rigs. And my pricing from them is great. Even with a shitty canadian dollar. I can bring them up here and get them sprayed black and do all the fit out.
Neil Pryde sails. Wants to be the OEM builder. And also have me act as an agent in my area, for other products. I know the pricing will be very good. They will use Dimension Polyant Carbon cloth, a one design material. Sails look super sexy.
Evolution, the canadian loft, has given great prices for custom and is going the same route as NP.
Ullman USA has also given great pricing, for custom sails.
Ronstan wants us to use only their hardware, and I really like their product. Also a little easier to get the boat endorsed by them, than with Harken.
And as far as anything I need for these boats, I will do my best to pass the best pricing along to the home builder. Just check with me before you buy. I'm confident I can get the best deal and selling the items is more of a service than a money maker.
My goal all along is to get more people sailing. Leave no i550 owner or home builder behind, and offer a durable, well built price conscious boat.
All is not lost.
Justwannagofast

Return to Building an i550