Hull Stringers and reinforcing/bearers

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Hull Stringers and reinforcing/bearers

Postby Dan » Sat May 24, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi All,

Building Hull 515. Spent (possibly too much) time on strongback, but already enjoying its benefit especially after the vagueness of last build.

Have been enjoying forum for 6 months, but cannot find too much regarding what people have done for stringers, and what timber they have used where and placement of.

Just dry slotted bulkheads in but my thoughts are hull stringers would be good for rough coastal sailing, what has everyone done ?

Regards
Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan

Re: Hull Stringers and reinforcing/bearers

Postby jray » Sat May 24, 2014 11:58 pm

Looking good Dan! I used clear fur strips for the sheer clamp. Other stringers were 6mm ply set on edge reinforced with carbon. I have several pictures of what I did. Message me with your contact information, would be happy to send them on to you.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby jray » Sun May 25, 2014 12:02 am

If you are not aware, you have to have five posts before you can message. Sorry! Just post up a few more.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Chad » Sun May 25, 2014 2:15 am

Full length fir stringers for the side panels for me, too. 1/2" wide, 1.25" tall, worked well. If I built again, I'd add full(er) length stringers for the hull bottom, too. The stop/start method between frames works, (especially if you have the full hull mold as in your pic), but nothing fairs like full length sticks.
Chad

Postby slowpoke » Sun May 25, 2014 5:21 am

I also used full length stringers for the sides, notched into the bulkheads.midway. good luck with the biuld!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby lohwaikin » Sun May 25, 2014 6:14 pm

Dan,
I'm really impressed with your strongback construction: 1 feet spacing and steel base.
I used 2 feet spacing, now that the boat is nearing completion I do feel the strongback straining under the weight of the boat as I pace down the length of the hull.
I was using 1/2" interior ply for my 8 supports, I expect them to last about a year under humid conditions, which by that time I'll be long done with the build (yeah...).

My stringers were 1/4" thick ply of 2" width, started from F110 till transom. One strip per side panel. Filleted with 17oz biax tapes.
If I were to do it again I'll run the stringers full length.
And I will also to glue on some cleats (2x1s) on frames 53 and 169 to resist the crushing effect of the side panels during frame installation, and also to provide for glue area for subsequent top panels.

Man, you really have a neat workshop...
Loh Wai Kin
Hull #437 "Big Bad Wolf"
Singapore.
lohwaikin

Postby Dan » Mon May 26, 2014 9:49 am

Hi,

Thanks for all replies.

We have some 32mm x 19mm (in our talk) clear oregon left over from last build I will use on sides panels midway like Slowpoke. Full length seems the way to go this early in build.

Jray, yes have seen pics of your method, a good option for stop start. Would prefer to use wood over carbon if I can (cost in SA, work etc…). Will do similar on sheer? What animal did you use?? (!)

Chad, interesting to hear recommendation for hull bottom stringer. Can you feel it while sailing/on water?

Lohwaikin, Thanks. Strongback took a few days to build and even though it is box section we added four adjustable feet to level between ends. Rock solid. It can be flat packed to posted onto next builder in an hour!
Yes agree about cleats. I am using aluminum rect box, as I have some. 6mm ply is new to me, but loved how the panels all came together and even perfect at stem.

A very satisfying day.
Dan

Postby Tim Ford » Tue May 27, 2014 1:15 am

Man, that's a great workspace too, Dan. Except for the phone. I'd 86 the phone. ;)
Tim Ford

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Tue May 27, 2014 5:05 am

I have to admit, I have a little shop envy going myself. My boat is on big casters so I can move it side to side and squeeze myself in-between . almost not fair...
but..... on the plus side... I don't have a phone.
Your shop looks great, and the cradle ++++
i550sailor@aol.com

Postby Chad » Wed May 28, 2014 2:26 am

I meant internal stringers, for panel stiffness. Bottom stringers make the bottom fair, without needing to closely space the build jig. And they stiffen the hull bottom, in places where you don't have full height deck-to-hull longitudinal bulkheads.
Chad

Postby Dan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:17 am

86? You guys don't miss a thing! Phone is for intercom/delivery. Barely rings as I have all material except lead for build. Like most i550 builders I just need time and doubt anyone is going to deliver that.

Not much building at the moment, but going to get my head around easiest way to install discussed stringers. Thinking it might be worth while to build big boat method i.e leave side panels off for as long as possible for access. A few people have mentioned it, but would seem the easiest when incorporating full length stringers.
Dan

Postby slowpoke » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:26 am

Check out chad's blog, he built his boat that way.
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Return to Building an i550