What Size through-bolt?

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

What Size through-bolt?

Postby Tim Ford » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:43 am

Hey! Quick question to people who have bolted their bulbs to the keel foil, horizontally, coming through one side of the bulb, perpendicular to the keel foil, and back out the other side of the bulb: in simple, understandable measurements, such as mm or inches, what DIAMETER bolt did you use? I bought a couple of 5/8ths inch bolts which, in retrospect, are completely and ridiculously oversized for this particular application. I'm wondering, is 3/8 or 7/16ths adequate? My white oak laminate is all 5/4 strips, and I want to go straight through the center of these when I drill the holes for the bolts. Not sure I can get carriage bolts as long as I need, so I guess threaded rod is the fall-back plan.

so, what'd y'all use?

thanks!
Tim Ford

Re: What Size through-bolt?

Postby jray » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:07 am

3/8" standard bolts, I counter sunk enough for the heads and nuts to be inside the bulb, then covered them with thickened epoxy.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Tim Ford » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:41 pm

As always, thanks a million Jray. I don't think I could have ever put this thing together without you and the rest of the lad's advice.

Well, maybe I could have but the boat would sink...
Tim Ford

Postby slowpoke » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:29 pm

I used 3/8s threaded rod, drill the countersinks for the nuts, then drill through the bulb/foil assembly with a long 3/8 bit, determine the actual length you need, and cut. Don't forget your countersink has to be big enough for the socket to fit over the nut on the end of the rod!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby ryderp » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:37 pm

I also used 3/8" threaded Stainless Steel rod, trimmed to appropriate lengths with washers and nuts on both ends. I used three rods.

Phil
ryderp

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Thanks, gang. And yes, Rocky, I would have forgotten to leave room for the socket! :lol:
Tim Ford

Return to Building an i550