Seal cote after fairing with microlite 410

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Seal cote after fairing with microlite 410

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:51 am

Looking for time saving advice on seal coating after final fairing, west system recommends 3 coats of epoxy. how have you other builders handled this step?

Thanks
Mark
i550sailor@aol.com

Re: Seal cote after fairing with microlite 410

Postby slowpoke » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:06 am

:oops: I didn't use west epoxy, or microlite, and to be honest I didn't know you had to seal it. I thought that was what the two part epoxy primer was supposed to do! :oops: I would probably go with just one good coat, don't forget any ridges or brush marks will have to be sanded again.
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:30 am

slowpoke wrote::oops: I didn't use west epoxy, or microlite, and to be honest I didn't know you had to seal it. I thought that was what the two part epoxy primer was supposed to do! :oops: I would probably go with just one good coat, don't forget any ridges or brush marks will have to be sanded again.

It does leave ridges and brush marks, which is why I posted to see how others did it, I used a roller and tipped, but am wondering if squeegee and tipping may be better???. Being as these boats are sailed off a trailer I don't think not going with the seal coat will cause problems, I have just read that it is the way it should be done. So what does everyone think,,,, to seal or not to seal is the question (and what is the best method of sealing)
i550sailor@aol.com

Postby jray » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:16 am

Don't know if what I'd did was correct. I did roll and tip a coat of epoxy after fairing before priming. My boat is in for the season unless I have a good reason and desire to haul somewhere. After three years, no problems other then touch up. I will sand and apply new bottom paint next spring.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby admin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:14 pm

I used 2-part epoxy primers, like Interlux 2000e and PrimeKote. These seemed to lay nice and flat with some light sanding. The only places I don't like on the boat are due to insufficient fairing of the thick stuff (pox and 410 or 407) and not the fault of the paint.

I'm a huge fan of 2000e and would paint my kitchen in it! ok maybe not the kitchen....
admin
Site Admin

Return to Building an i550