Simple Electric for the simple

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Simple Electric for the simple

Postby Tim Ford » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Among the many things about which I know nothing is DC wiring (not to mention AC wiring).

Here is a simple plan to get juice to the trolling motor, under the cockpit and into the rudder tower. The two studs...should they be in copper? I spend so little time in electrical aisles of Lowes etc that I have no idea where to get these parts....can I get a 10 foot length of battery lead to run back to the studs? Does the wiring need to be marine grade?

Any feedback would be great, thanks.

SimpleDCtoMotor.jpg

ruddTower.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Ford

Re: Simple Electric for the simple

Postby jray » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:06 pm

I didn't use marine grade wire, just coated cable from the automotive parts store. You do want to stay with larger cable, less resistance to power flow. I don't remember exactly but believe I used six gauge wire for the runs from the batterys to the transom.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Chad » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:47 pm

I bought the receptacle that fits the motor's plug and mounted it to the cockpit side (it is sort of a cup, and would hold water if mounted flat on the deck). It's a good idea to add an in-line fuse to the wire run.

Two exposed terminals scares me- imagine a screwdriver rolling across the deck and making contact with them. At the least you'll need to fix the paint where the charring occurs, or replace the roasted wires, or battery, or the smoldering boat....

I haven't used my motor since the second day sailing. I have a short oar that can get me around the launch ramps, and I've found it's just easier to adjust my thinking to "dinghy" rather than "yacht". Your launch situation may dictate otherwise, of course.
Chad

Postby Tim Ford » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:21 pm

Not a worry, I bought a battery box that has an internal fuse and stuff...charge level indicator and even a 12V outlet (see photo)...as far as the exposed terminals, these are going to be inside the rudder tower, totally protected from anything gnarly or rolling around anywhere. So no worries, but good to be reminded of...I'll make sure no one throws loose change or their charm bracklet into the hot space.

BelowDeck-cabin.jpg
Still got a bit of sanding and mud slinging below before I paint it white.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Ford

Postby jray » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:11 am

Looking very nice, almost ready for that first overnight weekend. ;)

Any thoughts on a splash date?
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Mist » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:11 am

Hi TF,

Does your rudder tower have a drain in it? A pool of seawater within that cavity is a pretty good conductor. This might lead to corrosion of the terminal(s) or an early discharging of your battery. Just a thought.
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby Tim Ford » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:30 pm

Good thinking and I had considered that. I think what I am going to do is use two inspection port caps. One left intact, and one with a small cut out to allow the motor leads in to the terminals. Bit of a PITA, but should keep the space dry. I may even loosely "attach" the inspection port lid, drill a hole thru the center, run the leads thru the middle of the cap.

For motor usage, I'd attach the leads to the terminal post, and then screw in the lid, allowing the wires to rotate a bit in the lid.

Should keep the area pretty dry.
Tim Ford

Return to Building an i550