spinnaker chute

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

spinnaker chute

Postby Marino » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:17 pm

Wanting to possible use a spinnaker chute, what size would be best to use or can I purchase one somewhere?
Marino Zorz
Toronto, Ontario
Build License 307
Build log: http://photos.app.goo.gl/M2m7Afvf2f8p35nz5
Marino

Re: spinnaker chute

Postby jray » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:32 pm

I'm working on a launch/retrieval sock that will attach to the deck. Haven't got it all together yet, but will be setting it up in the next few weeks. Don't know if it will be something similar to what you're looking for. If it works I would be happy to give you measurements. As far as I know there's nothing you can buy that would work.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Marino » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:30 am

My mistake, I am used to using the term "chute". I should have used "launch/retrieval" sock.
Marino Zorz
Toronto, Ontario
Build License 307
Build log: http://photos.app.goo.gl/M2m7Afvf2f8p35nz5
Marino

Postby jray » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:24 pm

IMAG0941.jpg

Mockup, looking like it is going to work. Will step the mast and test everything on the trailer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Warren Nethercote » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:04 am

Jon,

Have you tried your launcher yet? I ran one for 10 years on a small PHRF boat and loved it, and believe you will do the same if your arrangement works smoothly.

I would make two observations: first, I had a fabric cover to protect the chute from things like bow cleats when things went wrong (as they occasionally do) ; and second, although it is too late now given the completed moulding, I would have set the launcher mouth to port to favour launches at port-hand windward mark roundings, although the benefit may be more perception than reality if the mouth is far enough forward. Recoveries are not an issue, although you need to avoid piston style jib hanks in favour of the fabric/snap button style (which is, I suspect what you already have). Ask me how I learned that lesson.
Warren Nethercote
Boutilier's Pt, Nova Scotia
Build License 573
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=364
Warren Nethercote

Postby jray » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:19 pm

Thanks Warren, haven't had her out yet. Plans are to launch for the season next week. I will post up on how the system works. 95% of the time I sail and race by myself which is why I made the scoop and sock. Launching was never a problem but retrieval was. Even with locking the helm down when my weight goes forward bad things happen. I should be able to do everything and still maintain control of the helm now? ;)

I've been doing a jibe/launch at the windward mark and always seem to find myself on port when coming into the leward mark. With that I thought having the sock on stbd made since. Might not be correct time will tell. The tabs are sewen on the kites with patches, don't know if that's what you were referring to.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Warren Nethercote » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:28 pm

No, the fabric cover I was referencing covered my deck cleats and chocks, to avoid snags.
Warren Nethercote
Build License 573
Warren Nethercote

Postby jray » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:02 pm

Easy enough to do. I will look at that while she is still on the trailer. I always have the jib up when launching or retrieval so the kite will always go around the forstay. Something simple that could use Velcro might work to cover any exposed fittings. Easy on and off.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Warren Nethercote » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:03 pm

Here is my spinnaker sock in action although the video camera is poorly located for that purpose. The recovery is a bit ugly, but it works well for this the smaller of my two spinnakers. The bigger chute gives problems ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifs1WyL91WI&t=4s
Warren Nethercote
Build License 573
Warren Nethercote

Return to Building an i550