Rigging times

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Rigging times

Postby slowpoke » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:29 am

How long does it take you to rig you boat for launch ? How do you raise your mast, back to front, or front to back ? And how do you stow your shrouds ? Better men than I would like to know.......... :D
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Re: Rigging times

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:42 am

I am doing mine from front to back, like a lot of other sport boats, because the keel is in the way going from back to front. using a hinged base, it's a snap.
i550sailor@aol.com

Postby Chad » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:29 pm

Back to front. Use an angled-hinge step to let the mast point at the transom corner, then just walk it up. It's nice having two shrouds to push against when you're up, while you fiddle with making the forestay connection.
Chad

Postby jray » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:01 pm

Back to front also. Like Chad I enjoy having the shrouds help when it's standing. My present trailer configuration allows me to lower the strut enough that it isn't in the way. Will be working a offset hinged step this winter.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby ryderp » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:57 pm

Rocky,

I also attach the shrouds first and then put up the mast from the back. To answer your other question: It seems to take a good 45 min or so to get the boat ready to sail - from the time that I pull into the ramp area.
ryderp

Postby admin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:32 pm

we tried doing it with the rig out over the bow of the boat and discovered the shrouds were too short. So I emailed the rigger. He said, "did you try it the other way?" I said "no." He said "duh." (not really, he's on here occasionally so I have to tell the truth...he didn't really say that, but I know he was thinking it!)

SO we went down to the boatyard and tried it again this time from the stern and everything fit and the rig went up. BTW, three people are better than two. And it is good to have all the shrouds attached to help hold the thing up while you pin the headstay.

Forgot to add, I doubt if it took us more than 20 minutes to pin the shrouds, get the rig up and pin the headstay....15 minutes maybe?
admin
Site Admin

Postby i550sailor@aol.com » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:04 pm

What does the offset base look like?
i550sailor@aol.com

Postby Kevin » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:45 pm

I have a hinged mast step and I lash the base of the mast to it allowing the mast to go to starboard when down. Rest on mast on the rear travel crutch which is clamped to the motor mount. With the shrouds in place and a 5:1 come along hooked up to the jib halyard it's a piece of cake. walk it up, pull on the halyard to take up slack, tension with come along, attach forestay.

An angled hinged mast step has the rear pin at the angle you want the mast offset from center. I looked at that and felt that it was more work than it was worth so I used the lashing method.

Jeff just used a line around the base of the mast to keep it in the ball part to the mast step as he walked his up. The c-tech rig is pretty light it's manageable.

Cheers, Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Return to Building an i550