making your own alternative deck hardware

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

making your own alternative deck hardware

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone made something along these lines. I saw a 40' race boat with spectra deck cleats and struck me as a good option for the i550. No snagging, lightweight, easy to make? Someone mentioned they had 'dog bones' to hold loop in place and not a knot, and if they only pull in the right direction easy to waterproof.

There are ones like ropeye.com but was wondering if any one has attempted to make something similar? Thoughts ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan

Re: making your own alternative deck hardware

Postby admin » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:57 pm

Hey Dan, great question.

We went almost entirely with spectra loops. Mine are no where near as pretty as the ones you have posted a photo of, but they work! We just drilled the hole, inserted a low friction bushing, tied an overhand knot in the spectra to form a loop, pushed the loop thru the bushing from the underside, and filled in the hole with some thick bog (rather sloppily, sorry to say). I inspect them for chafe everytime I go out, but so far so good.

spectra cleats.jpg

Just remembered, we also put a big nylon fender washer underneath, one with a small hole and we filed the hole smooth so there were no 90 degree edges on the inside of the hole -- crude drawing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Mist » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:00 pm

Bellow are a few photos of homemade chainplates. I used the Colligo 5mm dux soft shackle inside a 3/8" ID g-10 tube.
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby Dan » Mon May 09, 2016 7:14 pm

Interesting, thanks all. I kind of wished I had done the chainplate option - bit late now.

Now we just want to get on the water, so we flipped the hull in two slings which was easy for two people and low and behold interior is easier to paint final coat while upside down.

Will revisit the above when fitting hardware.
Dan

Return to Building an i550