If not Perfection, then What?

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

If not Perfection, then What?

Postby Warren Nethercote » Sat May 07, 2016 5:36 pm

My local chandlery just told me they can no longer get International Perfection. I said, "I guess I'll have to buy it on my trips to the US," but the guy replied, "No, International has stopped making it!"

Anyone else heard of this? My guy bought all the stock he could, but it's already nearly sold out. One can of Matterhorn White wasn't enough for my future needs, so I guess I'll go the Brightside route, at least above the waterline.
Warren Nethercote
Boutilier's Pt, Nova Scotia
Build License 573
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=364
Warren Nethercote

Re: If not Perfection, then What?

Postby Dan » Mon May 09, 2016 7:34 pm

We used International Interthane 990, and have done in the past with great success. Seems very similar to Perfection just cheaper

http://www.international-pc.com/PDS/2484-P-eng-A4.pdf
Dan

Postby jray » Tue May 10, 2016 12:52 am

I used system 3 linear urethane for everything topsides. After four seasons I'm very happy with its performance. Environmentally friendly compared to some others and water clean up of the spray equipment.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby noemar » Wed May 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Try Jamestown Distributors .I believe they ship anywhere. They carry their own brand of products called Total Boat. I have used many of their products with good results.
www.jamestowndistributors.com
noemar

Postby Warren Nethercote » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:40 pm

I've just finished putting 3 coats of straight and one coat of cross-linked System 3 Waterborne LPU on my cassette, tiller and spreaders (brush application). It went well and I liked the lack of odour and water-based clean-up. It seems to flow on and self-level well although adding the cross-linker seems to make it slightly more susceptible to runs. One minor concern remains - before buying the paint I had used some stearate-treated Norton sandpaper so I carefully wet-sanded everything with wet-and-dry paper to try to get rid of the stearate residue, which System 3 warns could lead to coating failure. I just wish I had a local supplier, although I can special order through one regional guy (Stright-Mackay, in Pictou NS). I bought my test can from Noah's in Toronto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Warren Nethercote
Build License 573
Warren Nethercote

Postby noemar » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:07 am

How about Epithanes?Or try Velocity boatworks
noemar

Postby Warren Nethercote » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:21 am

Stright Mackay is much closer than Velocity to me, and my local North Sails Atlantic Yacht Shop deals with Stright Mackay wholesale. I hadn't thought of Epithanes, although if it isn't waterborne and I didn't use the System 3 I would probably stay with International and go with the 990. The cost of International 990 is much less than anything other two-part paint locally (and they can custom-mix colours), but the 'no smell' aspect of System 3 is attractive. Using toxic two-part finishes in my shop during heating season (November through April plus or minus) is essentially verboten.
Warren Nethercote
Build License 573
Warren Nethercote

Return to Building an i550