main sheeting options - redeux

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

main sheeting options - redeux

Postby mmarkomarko » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:22 pm

I know this subject has been discussed in forums over and over again.

I have decided against the traveller due to cost, complexity and clutter, and have decided to go for a bridle set-up. I realise this will give me less control, but so be it.

I notice two options floating about for a boat this size:
Melges 20 approach with a central swivel base:

and VX-One without it:

Having gone over the galleries and build blogs, I notice that all (most?) i550 builders have either opted for a traveller (a majority) or for a setup similar to M20s. Melges 20 has similar sail area to i550, but is longer and heavier. VX-one is a little lighter and with slightly smaller SA than i550.

Do you guys think that the VX setup might work for i550? Or would this be too difficult and hard on i550? Not having a central swivel looks appealing as it wouldl free up the cockpit area, plus these swivel bases are expensive buggers! Of note - I am not overly athletic and likely to sail short-handed (:

Just noticed that VX one has two bridles - any idea why?

I am a complete noob to sailing so perhaps I am asking a dumb question, and should just follow along with what others are doing?
mmarkomarko

Re: main sheeting options - redeux

Postby Chad » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:25 pm

I know the VXOne was all over SA a few years back- I gave up the habit and haven't seen how it has developed since. I don't recall the twin bridle back then, but it does seem the people involved with the class are pretty bright. Maybe that's why I can't figure out what it's for either. Twin bridles or single aside, the biggest difference between the two setups is whether the sheet comes to you straight off the boom or goes to the floor first. It's a lot more efficient to come straight off the boom, but it's harder to rig a cleat there (which can also keep you out of trouble, by forcing you to always hold/tend the sheet...).
Chad

Postby Warren Nethercote » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:52 am

Solings used to have a mainsheet led straight off the boom like the VX1 with an integral jam cleat there but it wasn't called a 'head knocker' without cause. You could just put a ratchet on the cockpit sole and have jam cleats on the side decks, but that is not much cost saving over a jamming cleat swivel.

Edit: does the split tail of the VX arrangement give better self-centring?
Warren Nethercote
Boutilier's Pt, Nova Scotia
Build License 573
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=364
Warren Nethercote

Postby mmarkomarko » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:59 pm

Warren Nethercote wrote:Solings used to have a mainsheet led straight off the boom like the VX1 with an integral jam cleat there but it wasn't called a 'head knocker' without cause. You could just put a ratchet on the cockpit sole and have jam cleats on the side decks, but that is not much cost saving over a jamming cleat swivel.

Edit: does the split tail of the VX arrangement give better self-centring?

Thanks, Chad, Warren! Thankfully, there still a bit of time left to think this over - it is one of the last things to go up on the boat.
mmarkomarko

Postby mmarkomarko » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Guys, does this thing seem adequate?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292083061259
Clearly not as nice as Harken's solution but....
mmarkomarko

Postby Tim Ford » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:10 am

I have the Harken 57mm on my boat with a big roachy main...here are the Harken specs vs the Holt

holt 57 specs.png
harken 57mm.png

so I would say heck yes. BTW, the Harken 57 is used on J70s, much heavier boat, and hence, heavier loads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Ford

Postby mmarkomarko » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:51 am

Excellent, thank you.

It should be possible to couple this same base with an automatic ratchet block from holt for a bit more moneys. Is it worth the 20-30 pound cost difference?
mmarkomarko

Postby admin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:59 pm

I have Ronstan autos on my spinn turning blocks and think they are a good idea for the loads we get from the kite. With the main, we haven't had any trouble using a set-up borrowed from the Melges 20. With that big block on the mainsheet, we've had no main trim issues, but keep in mind we've never had the boat in breeze more that 15-16 kn. But even in that, my 100 pound daughter had no issues trimming main. So I guess it depends on what your local conditions are like, Marko.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Building an i550