Sneak peek a building plan or studie plan..

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Sneak peek a building plan or studie plan..

Postby JanBøilerehauge » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:32 pm

Is there any possibility to get a sneak peek on a studie plan or a building plan, to get an impression how to read those plans...I'am a rookie into buildingplans and boats, but I never give up :D
JanBøilerehauge

Re: Sneak peek a building plan or studie plan..

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:12 pm

Hi Jan, here's a link to the old "Construction Guide" -- I think Tim Reiter owns all the intellectual property so I don't think I'm going out on a limb in providing this to you.

http://old.boat-kits.ru/files/i550_cons ... ckwith.pdf

Please feel free to send us any questions, we are a pretty helpful bunch! :D
Tim Ford

Postby monsters inc » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:31 am

I recommend the templates and plan package. Full cabin being the most pleasant version to my eye. There may be light opposition to this, but as Tom says, we will all give of our experience thus far. Building is not hard, but does take some patience. Cheers Mike.
monsters inc

Postby Marino » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:52 am

If you planning to make the the keel strut, start with making that and housing first. Also go through the blogs and see how others proceeded in their built.
Marino Zorz
Toronto, Ontario
Build License 307
Build log: http://photos.app.goo.gl/M2m7Afvf2f8p35nz5
Marino

Postby lohwaikin » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:40 pm

Hello Jan,

There are 70 drawings in the paper plan, but each of the 6 configurations uses about 30 of these drawings.
With the exception of deck and hull panels, where you need to joint plywood panels to longer lengths, all 6 frames & 1 transom can be drawn on individual sheets of 2440 x 1220 mm plywood panels. The plan also include recommended layouts (nesting) of required piece-parts within the 19 panels of 1/4" (6.3mm) marine plywood. There is a 2-page cross-reference table of drawing numbers versus boat configuration, to help you "stock-take" your panel production process. A table of offsets, with critical cross-sectional dimensions calculated at every 12-inch "stations", is extremely helpful when it comes to constructing the building-stock (base support). Every panel is dedicated a drawing page, dimensioned in straight-forward X-Y positions to outline the cut-out profiles. No lofting is required, this is a stitch-n-glue design. The plan is lacking in metal fittings details though, but this forum has almost covered every single one of them in more than one favor, in the form of photos and shared personal drawings. Fiberglass schedule is not required (tape all joints, sheath outside, paint inside). Cockpit floor stiffeners are not detailed in the plan, but this forum and almost all build-blogs mentioned it.
I don't think you need study-plans, the 15 build-blogs (though a couple went offline) on this site described the building process in vivid details.

Cheers,
Loh Wai Kin
Hull #437 "Big Bad Wolf"
Singapore.
lohwaikin

Postby admin » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Great response, Loh...but you didn't mention the most important thread on the Forum: "How NOT to build and i550 Guide" :lol: :o :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80
admin
Site Admin

Postby JanBøilerehauge » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:03 am

Thank you !
JanBøilerehauge

Return to Building an i550