Leaks, not leeks

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Leaks, not leeks

Postby Tim Ford » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:39 pm

Holy crap.

As casually mentioned in the "Rethinking the Keel" thread, I've noticed water in the boat, and last time I was on it, new water in the cabin sole just aft of the mast. And it had not rained a drop. I bent down to get a closer glimpse and WHOA, there was water leaking out from under the starboard settee/berth. Not a good sign. Those are "sealed" compartments, meant that way for additional flotation and there shouldn't be a drop in there.

So I cut an exploratory and far from elegant hole in the settee and to my profound disappointment and befuddlement, there was a LOT OF WATER IN THERE. I sponged it out and went home.

Tomorrow I'll go back down and look in the other compartment, try to figure out what the heck is going on! Look for a hole in the bottom? More likely, it's because the old keel took a hard grounding (or many of them) and torqued out a ragged rip in the bottom of the keel box.

But this sucks....

bummer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Ford

Re: Leaks, not leeks

Postby monsters inc » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:29 am

I think the screw in inspection hatches may be in my floatation tanks in the near future. Cheap insurance, maybe.
monsters inc

Postby Tim Ford » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:42 pm

Yep, that's definitely in the plans for today. The big ones, too.
Tim Ford

Postby Warren Nethercote » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:24 pm

Once you've put a hatch in you might want to add a tire valve and pressurize the tank - pressurize it VERY gently, only a couple of psi - to see (hear) if the leaking spot becomes apparent.
Warren Nethercote
Boutilier's Pt, Nova Scotia
Build License 573
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=364
Warren Nethercote

Postby Tim Ford » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:15 pm

Weather has changed, unfortunately, but I did get a few inspection ports installed and all the moisture in the compartments has been dealt with. Big question now is: how the hell did it get in there in the first place? I'm guessing: through keelbox leaks and in enough volume to slosh over the dividers between compartments. The next quest will be to find and eliminate water intrusion from the source.

new ports.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Ford

Postby Mist » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:10 pm

Tim, I recommend pressurizing the tank very slowly!!! I’ve found using the blower end of a shopvac to be too much pressure. Believe me, I had to rebuild a water tank at my expense.

Loose duct tape with the blower side of a vac at your inspection port should be plenty of flow. Let air escape from the inspection port too. Use a spray bottle with water and a few drops of dish soap to spray areas and look for bubbles.

If that doesn’t find the leak think about getting thermal images taken.

Good luck!! -Tim
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby Warren Nethercote » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:36 pm

Adding a Schaeder valve and using a bicycle pump is a low risk way to get low pressure.
Warren Nethercote
Boutilier's Pt, Nova Scotia
Build License 573
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=364
Warren Nethercote

Return to Building an i550