Build Progress

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Re: Build Progress

Postby Shazza 273 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:11 am

jray wrote:I didn't realise the picture was posted earlier in another thread. If that is the worst mistake I make today things are going to be great.

:D
Shazza 273

Postby Kevin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:47 pm

micah202 wrote:
Tim Ford wrote:Definitely dominant in the paint scheme overall look of the boat dept. (The PSOLOTB Award)

All I needed was one more warm day (temps >60) but it looks like it isn't gonna happen soon...so I wait to do the decks/house/sole fiberglassing job a little longer. Still I can't
complain, 5 straight days with temps near 70 in late Nov.

IMG_0299.JPG

...you'd be AMAZED t'see what can be done with one little ceramic heater inside the boat ;)

.....not t'mention an infra-red lamp or two(NOT inside)

....I've spraypainted with ambient temperature below freezing!! :shock:

True enough, but Tim F is building his boat out doors, not even in a shed. So that adds to the challenge factor considerably. I don't have any warm weather to send you way Tim or I would.
k.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby micah202 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:03 pm

Kevin wrote:
micah202 wrote:
Tim Ford wrote:Definitely dominant in the paint scheme overall look of the boat dept. (The PSOLOTB Award)

All I needed was one more warm day (temps >60) but it looks like it isn't gonna happen soon...so I wait to do the decks/house/sole fiberglassing job a little longer. Still I can't
complain, 5 straight days with temps near 70 in late Nov.

IMG_0299.JPG

...you'd be AMAZED t'see what can be done with one little ceramic heater inside the boat ;)

.....not t'mention an infra-red lamp or two(NOT inside)

....I've spraypainted with ambient temperature below freezing!! :shock:

True enough, but Tim F is building his boat out doors, not even in a shed. So that adds to the challenge factor considerably. I don't have any warm weather to send you way Tim or I would.
k.

...all I can suggest is a roadtrip to Baja,,,hopefully I'll take my own advise soon :)
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby Tim Ford » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:07 pm

I'm going to reassemble the hoop house next week, plastic in the ends, build one end in with 2x3's and an insulated wall with a proper chimney and then plug in the wood stove. The tarp is flame resistant and there is a giant pile of limbs and branches I can burn to provide some weekend heat...sorta killing 2 birds with one stone because the pile of dead biomass in our yard is an eye sore and this will make the spouse-unit happy. If I can keep the darn thing in the 60's I'll be happy, should be do-able if the sun ever comes out and the deep freeze stays away this winter. Maryland winters are weird, sometimes it's v. mild, sometimes it's brutal...I think we are due for a mild one, & I just bought a bunch of Hawaiian flowery shirts.

I have kicked off pox in 40-50 degree weather with 3 60-watt desk lamps inside the boat...worked OK :idea:

i550nov8e.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tim Ford on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Ford

Postby Chad » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Kevin wrote:True enough, but Tim F is building his boat out doors, not even in a shed. So that adds to the challenge factor considerably. I don't have any warm weather to send you way Tim or I would.
k.

Tim Ford wrote:That is my goal. I'm going to have to heat my structure this winter and spring to do it, but I'm going to make a solid attempt.

Yeah that's what I thought. What "structure", Tim? Hoop Haus, v.2?

Edit: oops, asked and answered!
Chad

Postby micah202 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:18 am

Tim just keep that heater continuously going on low,,,and the fireplace for YOU!
...ahhh,wood-heat!
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby admin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:06 pm

Lest you think work has ground to a halt in the frigid East, here is some progress.

I took yesterday off knowing the high was forecast to be in the mid-60's. I have been blocking off the ends of the hoopy structure and stringing tarps, dark side out, on the south side and on top of the white tarp that forms the roof...with solar noon being at about 32 degrees (of altitude) the southern exposure tarp turns into a big heat wall (assuming zero or very light cloud cover). Last week, in 50+ degree ambient temps, I got the boathouse up to about 68, and yesterday, with the high approx 66, it got up to 80 and by then the 205 was kicking off too fast, so I had to ventilate the shed and keep the thing at about 74-78 for the best part of the day.

I've gotten the entire house fiberglassed and some of the side decks. I'm not doing huge pieces of cloth b/c I've come to the conclusion that I suck at this. Got the rudder tower completely glassed and also fabricated a mast step. So, considering this is really the dead of winter for us, I'll take it. I looked back on my build-log and Jan 29th last year was a serious pain in the ass.

IMG_0450.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Shazza 273 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:19 am

Woooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo !
Shazza 273

Postby jray » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:22 pm

Shazza 273 wrote:Woooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo !

+1 Great Progress Tim. :)
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Chad » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Indeed, go the Tim!

Your chance to pass me is coming up, while I fiddle around trying to get my cockpit floor glassed, around all those already-installed foot bensons. I'm jealous of you flat-floored-cockpitters, now!

About boat heat, although my shop is heated, it's $illy to keep it above about 40 when I'm not there, and 50 is warm enough when I'm working. I keep my epoxy in a smaller room kept at around 60, and I leave a small ceramic fanned heater running inside the boat whenever I need to cure epoxy. I just toss some towels/blankets over the hatch to seal it up. I put a cooking style probe thermometer right where the heater first impacts the boat, to make sure things aren't really cooking, and then check it a few hours later on the other side- I usually get about 90 degrees on the hot side, and 70 on the cool side.

Obviously, if you can continue get the temps you're getting free from the sun, then you're good to go already.
Chad

Postby Kevin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:30 pm

Way to go Tim. Keep up the good work. We have temps in the 40's this weekend. Makes me want to get the boat going all the more. May water temps may be doable this year.

As for keeping things warm, I built a warming box for my epoxy and heated it with a simple incandescent light bulb. It was just a 18" x 18" x 24" box of left over pink insulation board that I duct taped together. Mounted a ceramic bulb holder through the top and plugged it in when needed. It easily kept the epoxy at about 60 degrees over night and made working with it doable in the morning before the ambient temps rose by mid day. I used an oil filled electric heater to keep the cure going inside the boat over night.

Cheers, Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Tim Ford » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 pm

I wanted to bump this Thread up and also get post number 3,000 on the forum!

Here is what a fine, spring day looks like in the mid-Atlantic. Eat your heart out, Montana!

AfineSpringDay.JPG
Tim Ford

Postby Chad » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:43 pm

We got a few inches of the cold white stuff last weekend, too.
Re-doing a bathroom has slowed my progress a bit, but I'm still moving ahead. I need to get this little 8'er out of the way so I can finish some details on the 'Mix before spring really gets here...

IMG_1033.JPG
Chad

Postby jray » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:54 pm

Hay Tim, more than happy to share the white stuff with all of you on the East side. ;)

Think Spring!
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby slowpoke » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 am

still fairing the topsides, but I hope to get it done in the next 2 weeks. I can't wait to flip this girl!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Justwannagofast » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Tim Ford.

Looking at your boat pics.

I really like the curves in the cockpit. Looks very comfortable.

Nice work

Geoff.
Justwannagofast

Postby Tim Ford » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks. In retrospect, I would probably not do that again...well, maybe I would but not the method I used (which was totally seat of the pants). It added a lot of time to the building process. If I had just gone with the planset benches, I'd be sailing in St Maartens now! (i wish :-)
Tim Ford

Postby Justwannagofast » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:30 pm

Well it gives the boat an even further modern feel..it just looks good.
Justwannagofast

Postby Chad » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Tim Ford wrote:I wanted to bump this Thread up and also get post number 3,000 on the forum!

Here is what a fine, spring day looks like in the mid-Atlantic. Eat your heart out, Montana!

I just ran across this pic of Tim's Hoop Haus- apparently he's relocated to some fancier digs:
HoopHausV3.jpg
Chad

Postby Tim Ford » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Yeah, that's it. My wife keeps asking me how I'm going to get the giant cat out the basement door. I keeping telling her I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Tim Ford

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:01 pm

got some paint on this weekend, but need (some sanding...see what NOT TO DO thread) another coat
Perfection is some awesome stuff though...

i550starbdPaint.jpg

i550bowPaint.jpg

i550portsidePaint.jpg
Tim Ford

Postby ryderp » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Beautiful
ryderp

Postby jray » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:00 am

Pretty cool to see the hoops and stringers reflected in the paint. Looking great! Better then you think, trust me. ;)
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Previous

Return to Building an i550