White Perfection

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

White Perfection

Postby jerome » Mon May 23, 2011 7:59 am

After preping the hull to the best of my ability İ have applied white Perfection on a large "medallion" İ have on each side of the hull but the results are not as good as I expected.

No matter what I do, the end result is far from spray look. İ have tried it all, rolling and tipping with a brush (leaves brush marks), tipping with a fresh roller (leaves a tiny orange peel texture), no tipping at all (pretty much the best results so far, no roll marks to be seen)....The point is that it looks good right after İ apply the stuff but does not properly level out to a flat, glass like surface.
Actually It is like granulated... and shows this very tiny inverted " V" marks. Although I really clean the surface well, I might have some static that attracts super fine dust particle onto the surface. That could explain the small inverted V things. But even wiping the surface before with an anti static rag gives me the same results.
Although I let the paint rest, I also thought it could be be really microscopic bubbles that burst on the surface of the thin layer and give this texture....
Or maybe I am not thinning enough and the paint does not really have enough time to flow before it dries out.

İ am not sure what is up but İ am not pleased with the results İ am getting. İ cant get it smooth AND glossy. İt is usually very glossy after it dries but not so smooth. THen after İ sand it off, it becomes really smooth but not glossy....

Since İ have already a good coverage after 3 layers , İ feel like applying my last coat with much more thinner just to make sure it flows better and gives me a glossy galssy final surface.
I could eventually forget the idea of getting the last coat glassy and just sand it smooth with 1500 grit and then polish or buff with some product just to restore the gloss. But I think I would be wasting the best of Perfection if I did that.
Most of the guys who have used Perfection on the net have reported great finishes without any need for final sanding and buffing.

Any idea of what I am doing wrong ?
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
Built in Turkey, Currently sailing in Sao Paulo , Brazil
jerome

Re: White Perfection

Postby Ron Bowman » Mon May 23, 2011 12:42 pm

I also used white Perfection, Jerome. Hopefully it's just a problem with how you are thinning the paint because that's easy enough to fix. My recollection is that Interlux has two different thinners for that paint - one for rolling and one for spraying. I think the difference is that the kind used for rolling doesn't evaporate as quickly giving the brush or roller marks a chance to flatten out before the paint hardens. So you may want to confirm that you have the correct thinner. Assuming you do have the correct thinner, it sounds like you aren't thinning enough. If you don't thin enough, the paint will harden before it flows out smooth. If you use too much thinner, the paint may run. So there is kind of an art to mixing in just enough thinner to get it to flow smooth but not run. Your weather conditions will have a lot to do with how much thinner you will need.

Ron
Lunatic Fringe #108
Ron Bowman

Postby M&S » Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 am

I think Ron has covered everything I would mention. Is the humidity this time of year stable in Turkey? And surface temperature can have an influence too. Best of luck and skill.
M&S

Postby jerome » Tue May 24, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks guys for your help. İ applied the last coat yesterday with the utmost care in preparation and application but got the same results with tiny granulates all over. The very strange thing though is that İ applied a more sloppy coat on the transom and from what İ saw this morning it looks prety damn flat and glassy... :o

So İ dont know what my problem is on the hull sides but it might have gotten contaminated with something,somehow. İt does not look too bad though and the gloss is definitl there. İts just that from an angle, you can see all those stipples.

By the way, İ received the answer from Jay- İnterlux this morning and in his opinion İ might be getting roller stipple and micro air pockets because İ am applying it too thin ! !!!

So what the heck. İ will just paint it to the best of my abilities and go sail it.

cheers
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
Built in Turkey, Currently sailing in Sao Paulo , Brazil
jerome

Return to Building an i550