Opinion: Toe Rails or Not Toe Rails

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Opinion: Toe Rails or Not Toe Rails

Postby Tim Ford » Tue May 31, 2011 3:43 pm

First off, I am really lucky to have Tim K. building "Mist" in the neighborhood (Chesapeake Bay). He is a stand up guy and a supportive co-builder and a generous soul. Tim sent me some dougie-fir with some lovely scarfs cut into them to use as toe-rails.

Second off...I have reached a new stage of pre-senile, paralytic, inability to make decisions. So I thought I'd solicit a few opinions:

The idea is to use the toe-rails, not only as more secure footing on the foredeck, but also as a way of fairing out the topside/deck joint which is admittedly a bit wavy on my boat.

I like the idea of the toe-rails, but I am also highly enamored of the look of the Melges 20 with the radius'ed smooth transition from the deck to the topsides. I just like the look.

So, just soliticing votes here....what would YOU DO? I can't decide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Ford

Re: Opinion: Toe Rails or Not Toe Rails

Postby Tim Ford » Tue May 31, 2011 3:53 pm

BTW, the rails would end (aft end) at the beginning of the cockpit.
Tim Ford

Postby jerome » Tue May 31, 2011 4:38 pm

Back into that "paralysis due to analysis" mode ? :)

really seems to be just an aesthetics issue. İn my opinion will look good but less sporty .
My topsides to deck joint is not perfect either but İ guess İ will not be noticeable after the deck is painted.
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
Built in Turkey, Currently sailing in Sao Paulo , Brazil
jerome

Postby Tim Ford » Tue May 31, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks. BTW, fantastic paint job (on your blog!)
Tim Ford

Postby jray » Tue May 31, 2011 7:25 pm

I have to agree with Jerome, probably more of an aesthetics question. It will add some safety for anyone forward. It will increase your fairing a little and make extra stuff to paint over. I am just going to use non-skid and hope not to spend much time up there. ;)

Edit: probably bring all the water from the bow back to where your sitting!
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Tim Ford » Tue May 31, 2011 7:40 pm

Yep...I thought about that, too. Cockpit will be a little wetter and I do not plan to spend much time on the pointy end...but I will be out with the kid/s on occasion (not that they are little kids anymore, but still I'd prefer they stay on the boat).

decisions, decisions....
Tim Ford

Postby Mist » Tue May 31, 2011 11:34 pm

Hey tf,

I figured the toe-rail issue would bring up contemplation. I'm certain I'll put them on Mist. I do plan on installing them in one long stick along the sheer to keep them all lined-up. But, at a few increments, maybe 18 - 20 inches apart, along the length I'll put about a 1 1/2" of packaging tape on the underside of the stick. Once the toe-rail is glued in place I'll be able to carefully cut away the 1 1/2" portion of stick where the packaging tape is. The missing piece will provide an opening to allow a majority of the water to wash overboard before it arrives at the cockpit. Again, I will not be offended if you don't use them.
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby Chad » Tue May 31, 2011 11:42 pm

Well, they're required for ISAF OSR's for Cat 0 (round the world), 1 (across an ocean), & I think also 2 (a long ways down the coast), to extend aft at least as far as the mast. So if you want to dream some big plans for this boat...

Kidding aside, definitely don't run 'em aft of the chainplates is my opinion. Haven't your crew spent enough time hiking over the things in other boats?
Chad

Postby bendoo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:42 am

Having spent some time dancing/sliding around the foredeck of my boat, (and you are only up there when some sh..t needs to be fixed NOW as all hell is breaking loose...) And given that I haven't painted any non-skid on up there yet....I will tell you I haven't missed them and (though the idea is a good one) I don't think I would add them. The area is small enough that you can hook SOME part of your body over the windward rail. For me, it would mostly be a cosmetic option. If you like the looks better w/out, maybe wait and see if you want them later...they would be easy enough to add after the fact.
bendoo

Postby Ron Bowman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:40 pm

Most of the boats I've sailed on have toe rails but, like Ben, I haven't missed them on the 550. Might look cool, though.

Ron
#108 Lunatic Fringe
Ron Bowman

Postby jerome » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Take a look.

toe rails sport boat 18 Houston-20110521-00216.jpg

That should give you a good idea of what it will look like. Thats on a Sportboat 18 İ have been following. He also has the stanchions and everything else !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
jerome

Postby admin » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks, Jerome! That's pretty cool. What really intriques me, though, is how that jib track load is tied into the coach roof structure!
Boy, that's some narrow sheeting angle, too.
admin
Site Admin

Postby jerome » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:02 am

Yeap İ know, İ really looked at that a lot and could not figure how it could properly work
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
jerome

Return to Building an i550