Jib rail positioning

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Jib rail positioning

Postby jerome » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi Guys, İ am just about to drill the holes to fix my jib rail and my intention is to set them up exactly as per plan: between f110 and f89, angled inwards towards bow tip, set at about 13,15 inches from deck to hull joint. (page 29 of 31)

Have you guys done any differently ? Should the be moved inwards, outwards or foward , backward ?

tks
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
Built in Turkey, Currently sailing in Sao Paulo , Brazil
jerome

Re: Jib rail positioning

Postby jeff.dalsin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:19 pm

I set mine after I had hoisted the main and jib. My sailmaker gave his thoughts on slot width, sheet lead, etc. Still not sure it's in the right place!
jeff.dalsin

Postby Ron Bowman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:11 pm

I set mine up after I hoisted the jib too. I think your lead location will depend on the size and cut of your jib. Too far forward will pull the leach closed - not enough twist. Too far aft will be twisted open too much. So I hoisted my jib; then just pulled the sheet by hand and tried to find where the sheet angle will go through your clew and a straight line following the sheet angle will intersect your forestay at a 90 degree angle. Then center your tracks at that location allowing yourself the ability to adjust your car forward or aft from that location. Gotta keep in mind that your jib car will be a couple of inches or so above the deck too.

Ron
Ron Bowman

Postby Chad » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:13 pm

Setting up the track per the plan gives you a sheeting angle of 15 degrees. An open 5.7 is 12 degrees. I think most other builds have moved their tracks all the way inboard, tight to the cabins, which should give you something around 11.5 degrees.

Or go for sideways track with floating leads, or no track and floating leads...
Chad

Postby jerome » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:14 am

Josh are you with us ?

İ took a detailled look at your set up (fantastic help by the way) http://i550---shazza.blogspot.com/2011/ ... out-2.html and was very surprised to find out how backwards your jib rail is positionned, that is between F124 and f110. Any specific reason ?

Ron and Jeff, is the final location oıf your jib rail different from plan specs or did it end up being pretty much at the same location ?
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
jerome

Postby Shazza 273 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:03 am

Yep Jerome, the specific reason they are where they are is due to me F&^%$#g it up. The track should be further forward than were we have them by about 6-9 inches. They work as is but there is no using the back half of the track, but we do have a big jib and small and they both work well with the track where it is. At the end of the day we only use about 6 inches of the track anyway and we've gotten away with the bad track placement. Probably got lucky also because of the length of our track (when in doubt use a longer track ?).

You idea of 89-110 sounds better than what I did.
Shazza 273

Postby jerome » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:39 pm

thanks for the honest response dude ! Rocky, that's another blooper for our list !
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
jerome

Postby jeff.dalsin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:50 pm

Jerome-

My track is tight in to the cabin top and essentially runs from 89 to 110. I'll get a pick when I finally get the boat out of storage.

Jeff
jeff.dalsin

Postby jerome » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Ok,plans are not all that off than. İ just remembered that İ already glued the reinforcement ply underneath the decks......and İ think İ am too lazy to change that now. İ will go with the set up as per plan then change it AFTER i hit the water. İ am getting tired of finding excuses to postpone the splash and the summer is rather short here...!
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
jerome

Postby Ron Bowman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:18 pm

Jerome,

My tracks are 13 inches inboard from the sheer line. They are 16 inches long and the forward ends are 95 inches aft of the stem.

One idea that I copied from Jeff was to use ¾ inch aluminum channel as backing plates for the track.

Ron
Ron Bowman

Postby jerome » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Awesome Ron,
that is just about what İ ended up with. Except for the alu channel as backing plate. İ'll go with the old plywood reinforcement.
TKS
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
jerome

Return to Building an i550