Nose Dive!

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Nose Dive!

Postby slowpoke » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:51 am

So I've stitched up the notch in the bottom three different times, and I still have this strange dip in the bow. Does this come out when I stitch on the sides, or do I need to re-cut the notch?
:roll:
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Re: Nose Dive!

Postby jerome » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:51 am

Do you mean the front part of the bottom panel ?

İf so, joining those panels was actually on of the hardest panel assembly on the whole boat. İf i tried to really close the gap pulling hard on the ties in order to get the panels to join, I would end up with way too much rocker and a very assimetric distorsion with one of the panels making a strange "bong" sound and twisting, thus either increasing or decreasing the V.
İ ended up closing the gap as much as possible while still maintaining an acceptable symetric shape, with correct rocker and V. However, that left me with a lager large gap between both panels wich was later reinforced with carbon fiber.
İ guess İ must have overcut that middle seam to start off with.
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
Built in Turkey, Currently sailing in Sao Paulo , Brazil
jerome

Postby jray » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:14 pm

Are you using a build cradle? I didn't even stitch the bottom because after getting it secured into the cradle the two sides just came together. Things get stronger when you get the hull sides stitched and the transom in. Before you fillet and tape the inside chine it is possible to move things around some. If what your experiencing is a slight twist it will likely correct itself when the sides are stitched.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Ron Bowman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:22 pm

I had to open up the v cut a little bit to get those panels to come together correctly.

Ron
Ron Bowman

Postby slowpoke » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:09 am

Thanks guys, it's nice to know I'm not alone on this one. I found that I could keep a good shape if I do like you guys are suggesting, and don't pull the ties tight. And yes, I have Chad's build jig, he passed it on to me, thanks Chad!!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Return to Building an i550