chain plates

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Re: chain plates

Postby admin » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Here is one of mine before the deck went on. In all fairness, after I got the boat all sealed up and stuff, I re-measured and they are not exactly aligned as well as I'd like them. They do more or less point at the mast compression post, more or less.

But don't tell no one.

i550July4thg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admin
Site Admin

Postby ryderp » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:42 am

This page on my blog has some chainplate and chainplate gusset photos: http://i550-381.blogspot.com/2011/08/chainplates-are-in.html

Phil
ryderp

Postby Kevin » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Yes, they only are at frame 110 at the top. A string jig is the best way to get them pointing where you want (toward the mast).

Oh, and a big help later would be to drill the holes for the chain plate itself. That's really un-fun inside the boat with the deck on. And over drill, fill with silica or high density filler and then re-drill. That will make fitting the plates later much easier.

kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby lohwaikin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:53 am

I don’t seem to be able to make an alignment with the compression post, and at the same time staying vertical and having the top edge flushed with deck panel. And I've verified with drawing #67 "For Full and Half Cabin Configuration". But then I realised I'm plainly wasting time pondering about the gusset fit when in reality I am very sure where and how the gussets need to be. So tonight I'll bring out the jigsaw and "make" it fit.

And yes, I'll remember to pre-drill those chain-plate holes. And Phil (#380) has produced some "lightening" cut-outs through the gussets.
I'm not watching the boat weight, but hey these cut-outs make good holders for flashlights, radio and lunch-box with carabiners...

Thanks for the photos guys...
Loh Wai Kin
Hull #437 "Big Bad Wolf"
Singapore.
lohwaikin

Postby ryderp » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:41 pm

Actually, I was thinking the same thing - rather than removing weight, I was adding hand-holds, or hanger supports, or . . .

I had to "custom fit" the gussets using a jigsaw as well. I also installed the jib track backing (1/2" of marine plywood) at the same time and used it to hold the gussets in place while they were glued, filleted, and taped into place.
ryderp

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:19 pm

another effective shaping tool is a belt sander. Preferably one on a stand. I now have a 6x48" craftsman belt sander and it is by far the most awesome shaping tool for jobs like this. I didn't have it when I built the boat and I assure you that my chain plate gusset used ample amounts of silica filled epoxy to fill the gaps created by lesser tools.

I also feel that a square of g-10 glued to the under side is a much faster mounting method then doubling the decking with plywood and then using bolts and washers. It's so massively easy to mount hardware this way. The g-10 acts as backing plate and nut in 1 shot. Drill the big hole, glue on the plate, fill the big hole, (finish as needed, drill small pilot hole before painting so you don't loose them) drill the small hole and tap it for the desired screw or bolt. DONE. I know g-10 is not cheap, but SS bolts, nuts, washers and time aren't free.

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Previous

Return to Building an i550