racing stories

Tips from those who have sailed one!

Moderators: admin, Kevin

racing stories

Postby jray » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:46 am

Update on the Labor Day distance race. The course was changed at the last minute, shortened slightly to 17 miles and favored more up then down legs. Maybe 1/3 of the course was down wind enough to fly the spinnaker, the rest just off reaches and beating up. We got killed up wind but made up some on the reaches and spinnaker runs. We actually had a blast racing for the first time, which means we didn't come in first but not last either. Sure would have helped to have more wind today, threes to sevens with the occasionally burst of nothing and shifts in the island shadows. We're learning more each outing, what works what doesn't and changes that are needed to better prepare for next season. All Islands Race next weekend, should be a 19 or 20 mile race. We're signed up and looking forward to another opportunity to push the Twist.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Re: racing stories

Postby Shazza 273 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:56 am

:) :)
Shazza 273

Postby micah202 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:39 am

hey jray,,good to see you're having some fun,,,,whatsay yer come to portland with me oct 1/2,and/or the following weekend and help me show those boys what a cabin-boat can do!...they've got a couple of melges and a flying tiger lined up too.
...I'll pitch-in for a jug of your favorite!! ;)
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby jray » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:38 pm

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make the trip this year. I will have to wait until next year, either pull all the way over or meet up or somewhere in between. Have fun racing, I'm quite sure it will be a great time.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby micah202 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:31 pm

..looking forward to seeing you next year...let us know of an event or two that are in your direction,,cheers!
.....I'll have no problem putting those PDX homeboys in their place,,,was just being polite!!
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:00 am

Just remember that at PDX they have a 4 knot current to add to the fun. I was in that neighborhood recently and there is definitely some local knowledge advantage.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby micah202 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:11 am

yeh,was there last week,,I think it's tide-effected river current.With high sailing angles,,a fair bit of traffic with the other fleets and whatever the wind's doing,,, there'll be plenty going on.
I'm hoping to recruit kerry for local knowledge and banking that Eric's still got his cast on :mrgreen:
micah202

Postby jray » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:51 pm

The last race of the year, the All Islands Race went off on Sunday. We actually got a great start finding room between to big boats and just enough speed get through. Wind at the start variable 0 to 2s and unfortunately didn't get a lot better as the race went on. By the time we got out of the bay and turned north things freshened up some but not enough to help us catch up to the big boats. We finally rounded Safety And Cedar islands, looking forward to setting the kite for some down reaching when we lost wind again. Half way between Cedar and Wildhorse Island we tapped out. 4 3/4 hours into the race and only 1/3 done, it was time to have a cold one and make our way back. 15 boats started only 5 finished.

I've got about three more weekends left before we pull out for the year. Happy to get in some races this season, even if they were drifters. It will give me something good to think about when the snow starts and the bays freeze over.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Return to Racing an i550