Epoxy Cup - 2011

Tips from those who have sailed one!

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Epoxy Cup - 2011

Postby Kevin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:50 pm

The 2011 Epoxy Cup will be held August 19 - 21, 2011. We'll be sailing on Lake Mendota in Madison, WI.

Just wanted to put this out there so people know the date and place. Official notice of race and other details will be provided in the due course of time.

Cheers, Kevin.

p.s. It's Ron's job to create a base for our awesome trophy with room for name plates and everything. Looking forward to seeing it in person again this summer.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Re: Epoxy Cup - 2011

Postby Tim Ford » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:54 pm

Excellent! I am going to scrounge every spare minute to get this thing finished by then. Or, at least, I will once it effin STOPS SNOWING.

tf
the new snow belt
Tim Ford

Postby slowpoke » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:39 am

I would like to propose the following rule for the Epoxy Cup races:

Should anyone win 3 consecutive races during the Annual Epoxy Cup Series, That boat for the next race shall have to tow a beer cooler on a 10'(ft) line behind them. Said cooler must hold at least twice as many cans of beer as there are boats competing. Cooler may be towed sitting on a boogie board, however if it falls off the tow boat must perform a 360 penalty turn and pick it up again. Said boat may choose to skip the last mark and accept a DNF, so they can be at the finish in time to share out the beer! :lol:
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Kevin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:17 am

Now you're talking. That should put the epoxy cup in perspective. Is there an additional penalty for any lost beer? How about a ice requirement to ensure maximum enjoyment.

By the way, I'm 100% positive that there will be crew positions available if you want to come and enjoy the fun. We'll find a spot for you.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby slowpoke » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:37 am

I'd love to, but like all great men, I have a woman behind me, ready to kick me in the @## if I just take off for a week, so it'll be up to her!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby slowpoke » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:40 am

What are the winds like at that time of year on Lake Mendota? Average depth? :?: In other words, what are the conditions we are likely to encounter? Does anyone know?
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Kevin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Typical Midwest summer conditions :-)

That means it could be blowing 15-20 out of the Southwest, Northwest or Northeast. Or, there could be a big high pressure system parked over the area an you get light to variable. Or you could have a large thunder storm system move through which gives you calm, 25-40 and then something more consistent on the back side like 8-12. So it's a crap shoot basically.

We launched at a public ramp last year which has a shallow exit of about 5 feet. I think we went out keels down. Once out on the lake it has good depth so there are no hidden sand bars or anything like that.

This is Jeff's stomping ground so he might have more beta for you.

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Ron Bowman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Where we sailed last year was great. Large public parking area to set up. Jeff got the cops to look the other way about us leaving our boats at the lot overnight so we didn't have to take our rigs down. Very nice ramps and docks. There are no reefs or underwater obstructions in the bay where we raced but we were told that the mooring area is shallow so I think we left our keels up until we got out into the bay. Really a beautiful lake right in the middle of the city of Madison. Can't say enough good things about the race officers too. They were very good both days with different crews.

As far as the weather, it's pretty variable in the midwest. It's usually dead calm right before the tornado hits.

Ron
Ron Bowman

Postby jray » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:17 am

Sounds like a great time, the forcast is just like it is here most of the time. If you dont like what the weather is doing just wait 15min. Trying my best to join in this year, Wife's on board for a small vacation just have to get this bunch of epoxy and ply in the lake. ;) and learn to sail her? :lol:
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Kevin » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:49 am

Jon, We offer a generous on the water training program. It's called, spit out the back. I personally went there last year. To confess, the first time I hoisted my spin was Saturday morning of the EC last year. So you will be in good company if you don't have the boat fully sorted. Plus there will be an award for the one who makes the longest drive to get to the event.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby jray » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:14 am

I would like to officially sign up for the miraculously in the lead water training program. The spit out the back one doesn't sound like as much fun. I'll need some ringers for crew, doesn't pay much but the ale will be good.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Return to Racing an i550