Sailing Wing-and-Wing

Tips from those who have sailed one!

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Sailing Wing-and-Wing

Postby Warren Nethercote » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:16 pm

I have just returned from judging at the J70 North Americans at San Diego where I was rather surprised to see boats going wing and wing from time to time. It was actually claimed that J70s could make equivalent VMG to reaching going wing and wing in 10-12 knots true wind, although we rarely saw that much wind in San Diego. The more common use was as shown in the picture, when a following boat (B for 'behind') would bear off and go square for 6 to 10 boat-lengths to get in a deeper lane than the leader (A for 'ahead'). Wing and wing involved some risk, for if the 'human outrigger' for the genneker sheet leaned too far outboard the jury had authority to give on-water penalties for breach of rule 49 (Crew Position; Lifelines) - and we did on one occasion.

Anyone ever tried much wing and wing sailing in an i550, and did it seem worthwhile? Might that the j70s did it reflect an underpowered boat? It does, perhaps, speak to the benefits of a slewing sprit.
Attachments
Wing and wing.jpg
Warren Nethercote
Boutilier's Pt, Nova Scotia
Build License 573
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=364
Warren Nethercote

Re: Sailing Wing-and-Wing

Postby jray » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Warren, I have done quite a bit of wing on wing. It is a balancing act but does work to get clear of other boats. I use it more on short course W/L races then on longer ones or distance races. Works well you do loose boat speed but may be ok VMG, I don't have the tools onboard to check that.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Return to Racing an i550