Columbia SC i550 Sailing

Tips from those who have sailed one!

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Columbia SC i550 Sailing

Postby Mist » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:54 pm

Hey Dawg House, Are there any i550 sailing or close to sailing in the Columbia SC area? It's looking like my daughter will be a Gamecock this fall. It sure would be fun to drag Mist (296) down there a sail a bunch.
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Re: Columbia SC i550 Sailing

Postby Big_Dog » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:33 pm

She made a good choice of school to go to. My son recently graduated from THE USC with a chemistry degree, so it is time for me to get back to finishing the boat. Let us know when you come down. What is she planning to major in?

The i550 map pin is in the woods behind our house and the community has good lake access. There is a completed I550 in Charleston and if Frankie gets wet, there would be another boat 4 hours south.
Jon
#36 – Still In the Dawg House
Columbia, SC - Lake Murray
Big_Dog

Postby admin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:57 pm

There is going to be a total eclipse of the sun on August 21, which is also my birthday. The curve of totality passes right through Charleston, which is our favorite vacation destination. Wonder how the wife would feel about being tailgated from 600 miles by an i550?
admin
Site Admin

Postby Big_Dog » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:31 am

The town is on the edge of the shadow, so total darkness time will be short. We're very close to the center and expecting 2' 30" in Columbia. http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps/ga-sc.gif

Y'all better see if the Charleston i550 is in town. It just wouldn't be neighborly if you didn't try to connect.
Jon
Big_Dog

Postby Mist » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:07 am

We'll it's final, while I was out on sea trials aboard USS Gerald R Ford my daughter enrolled at USC. She'll duel major in dance and occupational therapy. She'll start this fall. Truely, I don't know the dates that I'll be coming to Columbia yet. But, get the boat ready for late August/September time frame. I'm certain I'll be making many trips to Columbia over the next several years. This fall's trip is looking to align with TFs birthday eclipse. Maybe the wife's can go shopping and have tea in Charlestown while we sneak in a sail around the harbor??? How do we contact the fellow i550 sailor in Charlestown? Let's set things up.
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby admin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Wasn't Frankie cut up? And what is the hull number of the boat in Charleston? Was that the famous CB boat? I was unaware it was ever completed.

But then again, I'm unaware of a lot of things....
admin
Site Admin

Postby Big_Dog » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:47 pm

History time with the Dawg. (The Mr. Peabody way way back Time Machine)

CB1 is i550 #36 is nice and dry in the garage (aka: The Dawg House). Finally finding a little time to get out of the office. No pressure …. Someone is coming end of August.

CB2 is i550#336 was started in Sandusky Ohio and after passing a short time thru Charlotte NC it went to Wilmington NC. It transferred hand to Joe ‘s group and moved to Jacksonville FL. It once again changed hands to Ben and was moved to Savannah GA. The delamination as shown on this site was too extensive and she went down.

The Charleston connection is Paul’s Slightly Barbaric i550-286. This was one of the faster builds that started in July 2010 in Texas, splashed July 2011 in Charleston and has moved several times since. The i550 map STILL has it stationed in Kittery Maine. However, she moved to San Diego where Rocky spotted her out on the bay. Paul was then stationed in back in Charleston and as of hurricane Matthew (Oct 2016) was still there. IM me and we'll see about making the connections.

Joe found some work to do, but Frankie was still intact. Now if he could take time from managing the organization he has, to finding time work on finishing Frankie.

There was a famous i550 in Tampa Bay area that was for sale. However it is not showing on the Murray Yacht Sale site (BILL WRIGHT). Anyone having information on the heist, needs to come forward.

See you at the end of August. Do not forget to schedule freshman orientation.

Happy Easter Y'all.
Happy Easter.png
Jon
Big_Dog

Postby Big_Dog » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:40 am

Well yesterday the lights went out in Columbia.

IMG_0242-B.jpg

IMG_0245-B.jpg
Jon
Big_Dog

Return to Racing an i550