East Coast IntergalactiX

Tips from those who have sailed one!

Moderators: admin, Kevin

East Coast IntergalactiX

Postby Tim Ford » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:37 pm

Just thinking out loud here, indulge me please.

We really haven't seen much i550 racing here on the E. Coast. I'm planning to be in Maine in early August and considering trailering my boat up there with me. It means I'll have to get my boat in better shape and fix up my trailer, but it is conceivable that I'd be able to pull that off in the next 7 months...

What are the odds there'd be someone to race around then? Maybe in the Maritimes? Bras d'Or would be awesome....I haven't been there in almost exactly 40 years.

Canadian customs can be tough with boats though, I know that. Unless things have changed in the past 36 years, the last time I took a boat over the border to sea kayak Rocher Percé.

I don't know...just throwing it out there.
Tim Ford

Re: East Coast IntergalactiX

Postby Warren Nethercote » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:08 pm

Tim,

I plan (dangerous words) to be sailing this summer but I also have a scheduled window for a knee replacement in the June-August time frame. I will get four to six weeks warning of my surgery date.

The August time frame includes the Bras d'Or Yacht Club Regatta in the first week of August in Baddeck. I have never sailed it, but it is described as a good time by those who have gone. The next weekend is a two day regatta (SMAKR) at my home club, St. Margaret Sailing Club (near Halifax), preceding Chester Race Week (on the NS South Shore), which is the highlight of the NS PHRF season. I think that travelling to a regatta would help with Canada Customs.

So I would love to join you, wherever (Maine?), but might end up in rehab instead. I have given my surgeon's office no blackout periods for surgery.

The Bras d'Or is a lovely sailing area. A lot of American cruisers summer there.
Warren Nethercote
Boutilier's Pt, Nova Scotia
Build License 573
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=364
Warren Nethercote

Postby Tim Ford » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:10 pm

Oh my, sorry about that Warren! What's September like up there? :lol:
Tim Ford

Postby monsters inc » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:00 am

I don’t mean to intrude on the east coast thread, but out here on the west coast, I plan to do as many of the gulf island races as possible. Like Mr. Ford, I would like to see any of the left coast fleet. Chime in if anyone is interested or has events planned for next season. Cheers all
monsters inc

Postby Warren Nethercote » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:43 pm

September in Nova Scotia is a wonderful month but becomes risky for sailors. It is the peak of hurricane season. Not many make it all the way here, but we do see them as tropical storms.
Warren Nethercote
Boutilier's Pt, Nova Scotia
Build License 573
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=364
Warren Nethercote

Postby Tim Ford » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:00 pm

Not intruding at all, Monsters! If all y'all can get something going along the Gulf or Left Coast, more power to ya!
Tim Ford

Postby monsters inc » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:42 am

Warren, our September’s are greaat sailing as well, but not much in the way of hurricanes. Hope you get a chance to get out next season.
monsters inc

Return to Racing an i550