Vallejo Race this weekend....

Tips from those who have sailed one!

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Vallejo Race this weekend....

Postby bendoo » Mon May 02, 2011 8:02 am

Posted to SA and thought I would would post here...but not alot of news....

Vallejo was a bust...we hit the line close to the pin end a little late, headed for pressure towards Berkely/Richmond (contrary to the rest of the fleet) got lifted and thought we were doing it right, watched others on the Angel Island sde of the course getting lifted as our breeze died and started to sweat...consolidated w/ the rest of the fleet around the Richmond long wharf....sailed among boats from the previous start and thought we were good again....then started a 3 hour tacking circle jerk where we slowly got pushed backwards by the ebb....watched one boat after another drop out....finally called it quits at 4 pm and headed back to Berkeley...took the boat apart and drove to Vallejo for a beer and a $85 tote bag...BUMMER....1 early report suggested that 15 of over 200 boats actually finished....hate to hope that that is what happened, but hate more to think I pull another DNF in a sailable race....Monday will tell the tale (when results get posted)....

Vallejo is one of the biggest races on the Bay, kicks off the season for many....too bad there wasn't more wind. Party Sat eve was ockin!! Sunday is a slightly shorter race back to San Rafael and is usually a beat to weather. It looked like it would be another drifter so bailed on that as well.

Looking forward to to dialing this thing in and also Thur eve beer cans on Lake Washington, or lovely little local lake.

Despite the results, Saturday was a great warm lovely day to be out sailing on the boat I built!!!!
bd
bendoo

Re: Vallejo Race this weekend....

Postby slowpoke » Tue May 03, 2011 1:53 am

As a friend of mine once said, "It really isn't about whether I win or lose, it's about whether I did the best i could to sail my boat to the best of it's potential, and how many beers I can drink while I'm doing it!"
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Return to Racing an i550