West coast of Bc regatta cancellations

Tips from those who have sailed one!

Moderators: admin, Kevin

West coast of Bc regatta cancellations

Postby monsters inc » Sun May 23, 2021 4:54 am

West coast regattas are not happening , we just got notice that Cow Bay in August is cancelled. Too bad. Missed Thetis island, Saltspring island, Swiftsure, so far . Nanaimo snake island regatta is off , and our hopes are the maple bay may be a possibility, and Sidney as well. Oh well. Chime in if you are racing anywhere else. Cheers
monsters inc

Re: West coast of Bc regatta cancellations

Postby Tim Ford » Tue May 25, 2021 1:16 pm

Sorry to hear this, Monsters! Surprised so much is still being cancelled.

We are almost back to normal here (although, a blue-water race I was supposed to do next month, on another boat obviously, has been cancelled due to issues in the destination country, Bermuda).

Has there been a major spike in the number of cases in the Pacific Northwest?
Tim Ford

Postby monsters inc » Wed May 26, 2021 5:14 am

To be honest, I don’t follow the press releases. I have not met anyone in person that was diagnosed with COVID, yet, but I notice we are miles behind most states in restrictions. Hopefully it changes soon.I will be out on the water enjoying a sail whenever possible this summer.good health to everyone. Cheers
monsters inc

Postby Warren Nethercote » Fri May 28, 2021 11:44 pm

On the other coast it's quiet too, but NS just released its reopening plan today and it looks like we'll be club racing by late June and running regattas in some form by mid to late July. August keelboat regattas look likely at this point, as long as we keep following public health directives and meet our vaccination targets. Dinghy regattas will be more difficult with management of the dinghy park being the main challenge.
Warren Nethercote
Boutilier's Pt, Nova Scotia
Build License 573
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=364
Warren Nethercote

Postby monsters inc » Sat May 29, 2021 5:49 pm

I think it will turn around here soon, with our health announcement last Tuesday. June may bring more opportunities as larger gatherings are allowed.As Warren pointed out, the organizers and onshore operations are where the challenges lay. Until then we can test and tune up our boats and crew. Full sails ! Following seas!
monsters inc

Return to Racing an i550