Jibing the Assy

Tips from those who have sailed one!

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Jibing the Assy

Postby slowpoke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:12 pm

never having raced a sportboat before, the question i have is this; is the windward sheet of the spinnaker run around the outside of the tack, or is it run between the tack and the forestay? :oops:
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Re: Jibing the Assy

Postby Kevin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:37 pm

I do inside jibes so between the sail and the forestay usually. The hardest thing is looking at all the lines at the dock and knowing that when you pull the chute the first time it will come out over the jib lines. You "tack down the jib" with the spin is the way I learned it. Otherwise you are pretty screwed, although you can hoist under the jib, just a little harder to pull off cleanly. I screwed up a dose once on a open 5.70 and had that problem. You have to douse over the jib sheets or you are hoisting under them. Not as big an issue with the cabin back to 110. A open 5.70 has a little bump that stops at the mast.

I also do a windward douse during a typical W/L race into a bag I made for the companionway. Worked pretty well, but this is what I need to work on the most this year. Getting back down wind.

cheers, K.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby jray » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:01 am

Rocky, I believe the other part of your question is yes also. Some jibe the spinnaker around the front of the tack instead of between the forestay and the tack. I dont want to try this as I know that I would run over the lazy sheet and rap it around the strut and rudder before I knew what was going on. There is a fitting that can be mounted on the prod that catches the lazy sheet as it comes around. I'm going with kevin's recomendations, but may try the other sometime when it dosn't matter.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby slowpoke » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:42 am

Thanks Jon,
That's the way I've seen it done before; the lazy sheet goes out around the tack of the spin, to jibe you blow the sheet and let the spin blow out in front of the tack and around, but that was on a normal boat where the tack attached at the base of the forestay.
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Kevin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:03 am

You do blow the sheet and let the kite float out. The goal is to jibe the boat so that the kite float out and you turn the boat as the clew gets to the headstay. So how fast you jibe and how fast you trim in the new sheet depends on the wind you are dealing with too. This is all theory for me of course because I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to flying the spin. Unfortunately I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've even hoisted the kite.

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Ron Bowman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:21 am

We try to pull the clew to the forestay first as we make the turn in order to avoid wraps and twists. If the clew is pulled in to the forestay, the middle of the spinnaker will blow through(across in front of the forestay) as you make a turn. If we don't control our clew like that, we tend to get twisted or wrapped.

Ron
Ron Bowman

Postby Tim Ford » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:48 pm

I was watching an M32 vid the other day, probably from SA. I noticed one of the crew (mast man) on the M32 (stationed on the leeward side, just behind the house, which is tiny on an M32 anyway) seemed to grab the loaded sheet just back a meter or two from the clew and give it a quick tug to overtrim it briefly. Then he let go at the time the driver turned the boat for the jibe. The added trim (overtrim) seemed to give the kite a bit more initial velocity and inertia to get it out and over. I'm assuming that's what they were doing, because their jibes were really pretty. This was in moderate to heavy breeze...probably not much help in the light stuff. See if I can find the vid and post a link.

here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r07Ht6gQ ... dded#at=50

check out at 0:35

never seen this technique on any of the sprittish boats I have raced on, but it looks cool
Tim Ford

Postby jerome » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:21 am

really cool video ! İ wish İ were the onboard camera, watching, learning and not messing up with their synchronization
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
Built in Turkey, Currently sailing in Sao Paulo , Brazil
jerome

Postby tokyotrashbaby » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:23 am

all valid points mentioned. a quick rundown for everyone who is wondering or looking for options on doing the ayso thing.

"Connecting the Ayso"

1. make sure your halyard is running up the mast freely, and isnt inside, around, or between anything like stays or spreaders. and tie it on
2. grab the sheets, and ensure they are OUTSIDE EVERYTHING. and tie them on.
3. grab your tack line. make sure it runs OUTSIDE EVERYTHING. now when you hook it up remember this saying "Tack on top". meaning; make sure you run your tack back to the kite bag but is on top of your sheets the whole way back. (this will eliminate hoisting and having outside sheets.)

aslong as you have everything running outside the boat your hoist should be foul-up free. i have seen many times kites being hoisted inside spreaders etc. not cool.

"The Hoist"

1. have the three corners ready to run and hanging out of the bag.
2. go nuts and hoist the halyard
3. when the halyard gets to the second spreader start on the tack aswell.
4. both corners should hit thier limit at roughly the same time.
5. sheet on. if it is light and/or doesnt fill easily heat the boat up a bit untill it fills and then promptly bear away and ease the chute to flatten the boat.
6 hold on.

tips;
-i know kevin was talking about hoisting under the jib. i would steer clear from doing that. i have never done that and never will. easy way to add unwanted friction to the hoist, make the ayso even easier to fill with water and turn into a casting net for prawns, as well as allowing the chute to fill before the hoist is completed.
- we hoist from behind the sidestays, leeward hoist. this keeps the kite sucked behind the main as it goes up allowing it not to fill until the tack exposes the chute to the breeze.
- if your doing w/l then you can hoist and drop from under the lowers and saves you dragging it around the wires in a windward drop.

"The GYBE!!!"
this varies slightly depending on pole choices, but lets keep it simple and leave the pole as a fixed one.

1. as the skipper starts to bear the boat away to go deep, easy the sheet out allowing it to float the clew out.
2. when the clew gets to about where the forestay is the skipper should turn the boat, the main needs to be thrown across and the sheet hand with the chute, needs to pull like crazy on the "new" sheet (skipper can feed the old sheet through the blocks to help reduce the friction for the sheethand while sheeting the new side on).
3 skipper must remember to not instantly heat the boat up out of the gybe too much or you can wipe out. dont stay too square out of the gybe but dont go too high and help out the sheet hand to fill the kite by steering the boat up a bit if he is having trouble filling it.
4. settle the boat down and hang on again.

"The Drop"
Leeward drop
1. grab either of the sheets and start pulling it into the boat
2. when you have the clew, the tack needs to be fired and you need to gather the kite along the foot quickly.
3. once you have the two corners in the bag, fire the halyard and pull it down and into the bag (the kite should stay under control behind the mainsails shadow)
4. tidy up and start hiking.

windward drop.
1. grab the lazy sheet taking up the slack and pull it in under the bottom spreaders and the lowers (if you have gooseneck stays go over the top of them)
2 when ready, start pulling the chute in by the windward sheet, when you get the clew close to the forestay fire the tack and gather the foot into the bag.
3 . fire the halyard trying to gather the kite from the middle between the two tapes so your pulling it down evenly instead of one side leaving the other tape to fill again and drag the kite out.
4. tidy up and start hiking.

tip. make sure your halyards are clear to run. i usually tidy them up by dropping the tail of the halyard down into the cabin first followed by the rest fed down. same with the tack. saves the rope trying to run out from underneath the coil and a birds nest happening.

the outside sheet thing. really not needed. the chutes are small enough to do inside gybes. plus you'll have about double the rope to pull round!

hope that helps a bit. works for me on all the sportsboats i sail on.
tokyotrashbaby

Postby admin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:12 pm

That's a beautiful thing, TTB. Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Postby slowpoke » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:16 pm

Please try to get video of this next time you're out Andrew, it would help soooo much! And thanks for the description above! :D
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby tokyotrashbaby » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:37 pm

slowpoke wrote:Please try to get video of this next time you're out Andrew, it would help soooo much! And thanks for the description above! :D

no worries. im going to fit a bracket to the stern for when we have the go-pro camera. so you should be able to see us do it.
tokyotrashbaby

Postby tokyotrashbaby » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:39 pm

good thread on anarchy. worth a look.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... pic=120407
tokyotrashbaby

Postby tokyotrashbaby » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:51 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_p_vYLzg3k

watch our first hoist in the vid. you see me feeding it out while rob pulls the halyard up. notice how the kite goes up and is sucked behind the main! then when the halyard is made i go straight for the tack like and rob heads for the sheet but doesnt sheet on until the tack is made.
tokyotrashbaby

Postby slowpoke » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:43 am

I watched the video, and checked out the thread. Thanks Andrew, I think I have a better understanding of the use of the assy now. But another vid in real time would be be appreciated!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Return to Racing an i550