Camping on an i550

Talk about it.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Camping on an i550

Postby Shazza 273 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:25 am

Couple of new images on my blog of our camping trial on Shazza and a new video of same.

Funny that Shazza has been in the water about 18months and this is the first time we've had the chance to really give an over-night trial a go. It was also the first time I have ever sailed at night which was pretty cool, new video on you tube of that also.

If you want a look, type-- i550 Shazza in a you-tube search :D
Shazza 273

Re: Camping on an i550

Postby slowpoke » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:20 am

I saw the pictures on your blog, you look pretty comfy in there!
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Shazza 273 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:40 am

Hi Rocky, I have to admit I thought it would be Shite in the cabin--

you know I built the thing but this was the first time I had cleared everything out and put down a thin mattress. It was honestly really good. Shazza is sealed from F124 back, my feet were not touching that frame by a few inches and my head was at F54, I thought that was great (I'm about 5'11").

:)
Shazza 273

Postby jerome » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:12 am

Josh, İ did not remember you had sealed Shazza from f124. You did that for flotation purposes ? Suddenly sounds like a very good idea to me....İ just installed two large inflated bags on my boat , between F169,5 and 214. They looked big outside but kind of small once their inside. İ could probably still fit another 2 or 3 bags.
İ am using heavy duty nylon /cordura bags which are mainly used as flotation devices in optimist İ believe
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
Built in Turkey, Currently sailing in Sao Paulo , Brazil
jerome

Postby Shazza 273 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:24 am

Hi Jerome, yep sealed up purely for floatation from f124 back. One; for bad weather / bad mistakes and secondly, there are always going to be collisions--hopefully never bad enough to need all that floatation but you never know.
Oh yeah, it also made Donna feel very confident which is always a plus to have a happy crew/wife :)

Your bags are the way to go if you still want to be able to use the rear area for storage etc when the weather is nice and the bags can come out.
Shazza 273

Postby Chad » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Great to see the boat in camping mode like that. Part of the reason I chose the i550 was to use it to camp cruise the little lakes around here.
Chad

Postby jray » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:26 pm

Has anyone besides me thought about adapting a camping tent to cover the hatch and half of the cockpit? With bendable fiberglass poles there shoild be more room to sit under it vs the normal boom and tarp tent. I'm definitely planning some overnight weekends next year. The trick is it has to be easy to set up and take down while on board. Most of what I have planned will be anchor off camping.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Shazza 273 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:42 pm

I have been thinking along those lines since the weekend Jon. The blue tarp was good for a trial run and worked fine but it would be good to have something custom made like you're suggesting.

Chad, my thoughts have also been to go camping from the time of looking to buy the plans for Shazza. For overnight camping, I'm happy that I've been able to show myself and like minded people that it's possible / comfortable to do camping style trips. :)
Shazza 273

Postby Kevin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:30 pm

There is this gucchi solution... [a]http://www.ronstan.com/marine/product.asp?ProdNo=RF3925-30[/a]

Seems like something similar could be made by anyone smart enough to build an i550. Some used tent poles and some of that sumbrella fabric would do the trick. Garage sales are good places to find old tents that aren't worth much more than the poles usually. Get some old color fabric on close out. sew on some pockets and voila. secure to the mast and the rudder and call it good. Remove the boom for less head smashing too.
Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby jray » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:28 am

That's kind of what I was thinking Kevin, thanks. Bring it down to the deck, close in forward around the mast and some Skeeter netting across the back. I'm so ready for some weekend boat camping. To bad snow is coming. :(

Might try a over night this weekend without all the extras. Plan on sailing both Saturday and Sunday before pulling her out for the season. It will be the last chance this year.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby jerome » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:36 am

İ had no idea this existed on the market but İ checked the video and since İ have been around kite surfing for the last 8 years or so, here is my immediate reaction : get yourself a used "C" inflatable kite and adapt it (for info "C" kite were very popular before the introduction of the bow kites. C kites have more arc and therefore usuable height if used as a tent.)
İ am 100% sure it will work perfectly with minor adjustment such as sewing on some straps etc...
Even better, get yoursefl 2 kites and sew them trailing edge to trailing edge. You want something with a large entry towards cockpit and small exit around mast ? = buy a large and a small kite and sew them trailing edge to trailing edge.

You will have the same inflated leading as the high priced stuff they are now selling.
Jerome
i550 -hull #270
Built in Turkey, Currently sailing in Sao Paulo , Brazil
jerome

Postby dannyc » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:49 am

Shazza , caming is a great idea , particarly on the dewent in April, whilst the the national are on for the trailables.
dannyc

Postby Shazza 273 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:14 am

My testicles still remember the water temperature on the Derwent in summer being around 12 degrees C. Lucky we're putting the esky in Shazza because I would need to be drunk to deal with that cold again.
Shazza 273

Return to General i550 Chatter