Plans for 2012

Talk about it.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Plans for 2012

Postby Tim Ford » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:19 pm

Hopefully we'll see some more boats out of the build-shed next summer. I intend to splash #87 by Independence Day.

images.jpg
images.jpg (10.3 KiB) Viewed 5796 times

That is my goal. I'm going to have to heat my structure this winter and spring to do it, but I'm going to make a solid attempt.

Any ideas on getting together this coming year? It looks like there are at least 11 east coast boats in various stages of construction. The industrious Mid-West guys are ready to rock. And we could always schlepp out west and invade Portland if worst comes to wurst!

All ideas are welcome...splashing your boat is even more welcome (I know I know...who am I to talk?)
tf
Tim Ford

Re: Plans for 2012

Postby Mist » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:46 pm

Folks,
While I'm making steady progress at the moment, I don't see that continuing for too much longer. I've commited to a few other construction projects in the spring (much like I did last year). Additionally, I'm building to a budget. Currently, I'm saving dollars (many of them) for sails and deck hardware. As it stands right now I have no shortage of work to do before the building materials run short. The short of the long story is I'm hoping to sail in Charleston Race Week 2013 will a boat that has atleast a little tune-up time on it.
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby Chad » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:15 am

I'm working hard at getting the boat done this winter, and then will have to kick and scratch to get all the hardware and sails together. After that, I have the non-trivial task of building crew in a town with zero sailing. I may be sailing one-up for a while.

Kevin, Chris (texlex), and I talked a little about a mebbe twice yearly midwest meetup- once each north and south, or something. I don't mind road tripping occasionally, but the crew thing is gonna bite me there as well. Sailing is tough in a small, non-sailing town!
Chad

Postby jray » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:36 am

Depending in date and location I would be willing to pull the Twist out for some fun. Crew might be a problem depending on timing. I'm setting the boat up to single for next years weekly kiss races (beer can) but can not imagine flying the spin one up. Flying isn't so much a problem as launching and retrieving.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby micah202 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:15 am

jray wrote:Depending in date and location I would be willing to pull the Twist out for some fun. Crew might be a problem depending on timing. I'm setting the boat up to single for next years weekly kiss races (beer can) but can not imagine flying the spin one up. Flying isn't so much a problem as launching and retrieving.

.. have you thought of adding a launch/retreival system for the chute?
...as for crew,,,,if you're travelling to an active-sailing area,,itshouldn't be too hard to line-up crew.

...I like the idea of occaisonal 'midwest' events,,, though I guess we'd have to go as far as nebraska before some folks from the east might do the trek :roll:
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby jray » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:51 pm

I gave lots of thought to putting a launch/retrieval sock on deck. After sailing some I found it was easy to just use the cabin hatch. We will have a snap in bag there next season, similar to what Shazza has. The only problem I found with launching from there is the kite wanted to hook where the lower stays attach to the mast. The spinnaker is repaired now and I will be putting some foam and tape there keep it from happening again.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby ryderp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm hoping to be in the water in time for Put-in-Bay race week next summer. Check out the youtube video at:
http://i-lya.org/pages/sail-regatta.php
It would be pretty cool to have some other i550's there.

Phil
ryderp

Postby Chad » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:23 pm

So early August, 3 days of racing. A scant 11 hour drive to OH for me. Even closer for the west-of-lake-michigan-ites. And about 7 hours from Baltimore, it appears. Sounds appealing.

Could we qualify as "center boarders"? Which PH region is that? Assuming(?!?) no i550 OD start, is "class rules" PH class rules, or OD class rules? It's unclear in the oddly worded 2011 NOR...

Jon, your'e launching behind the shrouds and not through them, right?
Chad

Postby Kevin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:04 pm

How fantastic to be discussing such great things as December starts. Great motivation to get my arse in gear.

Chad, Chris F and I had a fun discussion about possible central US events.
For the spring we discussed the texoma lakefest http://texomalakefest.com/index.html as a centrally located spring event. It's usually mid April as it started as an Easter regatta. I'd need it to be the week after for it to work for me and I'd call that one "just inside doable" for me with a little luck and local crew addition probably.
I like the idea of the put-in-bay for a Summer event. That's within range if we are going to have some east coast boats come over.
And I am hoping the epoxy cup will happen in 2012 in September.

Might be a while before we can get 5 on the line for our own starts but you never know what could happen.

Kevin.

p.s. I was thinking the same thing as Chad about Jon's launch. Under the boom and behind the shrouds is how we do it. And I have a bag in the companionway which works well, keeps the kite contained and out of below deck rigging.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby micah202 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:10 pm

jray wrote:I gave lots of thought to putting a launch/retrieval sock on deck. After sailing some I found it was easy to just use the cabin hatch. We will have a snap in bag there next season, similar to what Shazza has. The only problem I found with launching from there is the kite wanted to hook where the lower stays attach to the mast. The spinnaker is repaired now and I will be putting some foam and tape there keep it from happening again.

...49ers use a shock-cord tied to the shrouds and going across the front of the mast,~6-8'' below the 'V' point
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby jray » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:36 pm

micah202 wrote:...49ers use a shock-cord tied to the shrouds and going across the front of the mast,~6-8'' below the 'V' point

Great idea! I will give it a try. Much easier then what I was thinking of and gives even more area for the spinnaker to get by during sets.

We have been launching inside between the mast and shrouds. Which works great with the exception of the above problem. Looking at it and not having any experience with asymmetric kites it seemed like a good way.

Sorry for the slight hijacking.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Tim Ford » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:44 pm

Thanks for the video re: Put-in-Bay Race Week, Phil...that's sounds relatively do-able! [another hijack] Also neat to see the Evelyn 32-1 WIZARD...with runners! (I used to own one and still co-admin the website).

Aug 3 conflicts with a huge work obligation I have, annually, but I mean, hey, you gotta get your priorities straight, right?
Tim Ford

Postby jray » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Put-in-Bay race week is a real good time. I was fortunate to experience it years ago when living just east of Sandusky. For those close enough and with a little time, it is one to put on the list. No go for me as I will be busy at that time North of Seattle. :(
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Chad » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:18 pm

Chad wrote:Which PH region is that? Assuming(?!?) no i550 OD start, is "class rules" PH class rules, or OD class rules? It's unclear in the oddly worded 2011 NOR...

The put in bay race would be under ph-le, which appears to require motors, pulpits, and lifelines. See article 9:
http://www.phrf-le.org/Files/ClassRules_2011_28Mar2011

Also gotta look and see if my boat is IMS legal (?!?), since that seems to be another of their requirements.

Edit: but they have a soling and etchell in their rating list, so maybe it's all good.
Chad

Postby Big_Dog » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:12 am

I moved south nine years ago, but had raced on Lake Erie for over 20 years. I think I remember having some good times at Frosty, Roundhouse and Pat Dailey’s during Bay Week. Yes in the mid 80s an Etchells was racing at bay and it would blow thru the fleets. A number of owners were not very happy and I do not remember seeing her for a third year. Times may have changed.
Jon
#36 – Still In the Dawg House
Columbia, SC - Lake Murray
Big_Dog

Postby slowpoke » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:47 pm

I just looked at the socal phrf rules; VERY interesting that on their intro page they have highlighted in blue that a boat has to be " 18.5 ft. long". Are they afraid of us? Just finished the Hot Rum Series where the minimum length has to be 20 ft. Raced against 2 etchells, a 6 meter, and a BC, none had lifelines. Possibly they had restricted or provisional certs?

Looks like I'll be making a sugar scoop like ben did! ;)
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby micah202 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:59 am

slowpoke wrote:I just looked at the socal phrf rules; VERY interesting that on their intro page they have highlighted in blue that a boat has to be " 18.5 ft. long". Are they afraid of us? Just finished the Hot Rum Series where the minimum length has to be 20 ft. Raced against 2 etchells, a 6 meter, and a BC, none had lifelines. Possibly they had restricted or provisional certs?

Looks like I'll be making a sugar scoop like ben did! ;)

..not to mention the extra ~400 lbs of lead needed,,and which he generously 'threw'-in with the scoop :shock:
micah202

Postby Chad » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:13 am

The 18.5' is new in SoCal- it wasn't there the year before. I think the aim is to cut it off right below the 5.7's. For ballast, SoCal still just says "self-righting".

Ben's scoop and lead were for NorCal, which has a 19 or 19.5' limit, plus the 400# ballast thing.
Chad

Postby slowpoke » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:44 am

Right Chad, I don't think I'll need the ballast, but I'll probably need the scoop. Phrf says 18.5, but the Hot Rum Series required 20 ft., something I think is pretty common in SoCal/San Diego. So I'll probably make the scoop 2 ft. just to make sure I won't be excluded.
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Kevin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Jeff got a Lake Michigan cert last year with no modification to his boat. It was a pretty crappy rating, but at least it was a cert. If the put-in-bay folks will recognize that cert then I would consider it. They also require insurance and other stuff as well. Oh joy, more hoops to jump through and more money to be spent.

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby micah202 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Kevin wrote:Jeff got a Lake Michigan cert last year with no modification to his boat. It was a pretty crappy rating, but at least it was a cert. If the put-in-bay folks will recognize that cert then I would consider it. They also require insurance and other stuff as well. Oh joy, more hoops to jump through and more money to be spent.Kevin.

..yeh,,boat insurance often requires a marine survey,,,I wonder how our little 'woodies' will do?

...sometimes it can work to -slip- it into a homeowner policy ;)
micah202

Postby jray » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:07 pm

I have mine insured through our local State Farm company. Very reasonable rate. Worth checking out for someone looking for coverage. If I remember it is around 180.00 a year.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby admin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:59 pm

Teresa Nielsen in Napolis insured both my keelboats (ALLSTATE)...being a racer herself, she was always sympatico ;-)

They should have reduced rates for we D-I-Y guys...I never submitted a claim b/c it was faster and less hassle to just do repairs myself. Never had anything extensive though, just the usual racin' is rubbin' stuff. Nonetheless I think handyman special rates should apply! (unless the handyman makes the vessel uglier and less seaworthy...I can see where the Insurance people might have some reservations)

tf
admin
Site Admin

Postby Kevin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:02 pm

Well, american family doesn't insure self built water craft of any kind. But that's a topic for the middle of a cold harsh winter. k.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Chad » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:41 pm

I've always done liability-only policies, but I've never had a boat that was worth much more than my car. If I break it I fix it, if I sink it I lose it!
Chad

Next

Return to General i550 Chatter