About "free parts drawings"...

Talk about it.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

About "free parts drawings"...

Postby Chad » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:57 am

I was told a question was raised on another forum about i550 parts drawings being made available.

I have offered free drawings for the stuff I've changed on the boat, for a long time. Mostly it's the frame shapes I used, with the curvature I found to yield fair hull panels, and the longitudinal frames I add to the boat, a jig plan, etc. I have never drawn the hull sides or bottom, nor given those away. My position is that the frame shapes are easily derived from various sources already (the Sail mag article on Watershed's site is a vector PDF, the original rules basically spelled out the stem, middle and transom frames, etc.), and the hull itself could be easily redrawn with a half-hour's tape measurements, input into freeship. But still, I've always insisted that folks have a hull license anyway, usually by seeing their dot on Susan's map.

So, nobody has built a boat from the drawings I offer, because they deliberately leave out the hull panels. Nobody has received plans from me that hasn't already bought a hull license. The free plans I offer are to help folks with their build, not to replace Watershed as the rights holder and only legitimate source of hull numbers and complete plans.

I shared an earlier version of my CAD file with Tim R last year, before he hooked up with Lee from the pnw gang. So he has (I presume) seen most of what I've drawn.

Just thought I'd clear that up!
Chad

Re: About "free parts drawings"...

Postby Tim Ford » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:15 am

I was unaware of any controversy, but thanks for the heads-up!
Tim Ford

Postby M&S » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:54 am

Chad,
Thank you for clarifying your position. We have had no qualms with your work or offerings to others. Class.org is a classy bunch. I admire your work.
Tim
p.s. best wishes for settling in in the N.E. of Missouri.
M&S

Postby slowpoke » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:47 am

I think you made your position that the drawings are only available to plans holders very clear on your blog site. Thank you for all that hard work, and your willingness to share it! :)
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Return to General i550 Chatter