Just Posted on i550.Org

Talk about it.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Just Posted on i550.Org

Postby M&S » Tue May 08, 2012 11:52 pm

Elroy has been up to Makin' Our Lives Mizzzzzerable ... check it out

Cease and Desist to Christopher Beckwith
Better grab a cup of coffee or a beer, as this is a long one...)
On a beautiful day like today, we could be being productive, or having some fun. But instead, we have been researching, getting business advice and calming down, so that we can respond to CB's latest crazy attempt to regain "his" i550 design. Others have said as much to us on these forums, on SA forums and in private emails.
As I told one new plan set holder last week. "The web is what made the i550 go viral, but it can also be a cruel place and Matt just doesn't like personal attacks or us advertising on his site. If you've been following for a couple of years, then you already get it. We've experienced "shills," who are not who they say they are, or are mentally ill (for real, we finally got someone to give us a diagnosis who knew the individual since he was 14) and those who have or threatened to steal our rights to the design. One guy even started manufacturing i550's in China out of cheap ply, that promptly fell apart. We wrote him a "Cease and Desist" letter and as far as we know, he quit building i550's.
Most everyone has been wonderful. There have been a few who have made our business life more trying in these difficult economic times. "
But first some background; We've been looking at CB's blog daily ever since he hinted he would have a big announcement at Charleston Race Week 2012. Then he came up with the Spacely Sprocket joke endorsement after we emailed him that we hoped he was not up to his old tricks. CB doesn't make frivolous jokes.
Yesterday a.m. he announced a new, improved i550 version called x550 and offered up dxf files of it for free to anyone who asked. And in a rewriting of history, he claimed the design we had was the "Watershed Variant."
He has been trying to undercut us for years now, with loads of dirty tricks behind the scenes.
A few examples:
1) Early on, he wrote a foul-mouthed, lengthy rage on i550.Org against us, and then went back and deleted it.
2) He has offered to our plan set buyers, that they could send in their old plans from Watershed and he would send them his own replacements. That one got taken down.
3. He offered, on two different occasions, to design a different sized version of the boat. Matt took that down both times.
4). He wrote to say that he was leaving the i550 world to concentrate on his boat (a J24) and his family and he would no longer be available for his agreed upon "support". He posted "Goodbye Cruel World" on an i550 Facebook Page. We thought "Good Riddance."
5) Then he came back and he always comes back and back and back again.

He did not have our permission to offer up a new version of a design he sold to us. This is just another in a long line of bullshit and we are tired of it.
What are we supposed to do? Ignore it and hope he goes away?

What we believe it all comes down to is one simple factor, CB (who must remain an albatross around our necks as we agreed in writing to always refer to him as the original designer and we have kept our word) is regretting that he sold "his" design for what amounts to $1200 in marine plywood and shipping, plus the labor to loft and cut the original templates and his kit. Tim asked him twice if he was sure he did not want any further royalties, and twice he answered "No."
As we are posting elsewhere, here is the final written agreement, where-in CB sold to Tim "unencumbered" rights to the i550 design.

Final Agreement
Addendum
I, Christopher D. Beckwith, the "Designer", hereby execute this instrument on January 14, 2008 and convey unencumbered interest in the design of the i550 Sportboat, the design, as drawn, marketed and sold as the i550 Sportboat to Tim Reiter, the "Manufacturer" having fulfilled and completed the initial agreement dated June 18, 2007.
Said interest shall include, but not be limited to, full marketing rights, right to build hulls, right to sell plans and templates, right to change the design as deemed appropriate and rights to all revenue and royalties generated from the sale of plans, templates, kits and hulls starting with hull #60. The "Manufacturer" acknowledges receipt of all drawings, plans, information, photos and available information that the "Designer" has provided. The "Designer" is allowed to keep drawings, photos, plans, and information for reference only. Any distribution by the "Designer" must be approved by the "Manufacturer".
Christopher Beckwith will retain title of "Designer" of the i550 Sportboat and agrees to support client builds up to Hull #59. This includes all revenue and interest in plans sold to hull number 59. Hull numbers 60 and beyond will be supported through the "Manufacturer." The "Manufacturer" will receive support as needed by the "Designer".
The designer acknowledges receipt of the "Kit" as described in the original agreement and that all criteria for the transition of "rights" from the designer to the manufacturer have been completed in full.
This agreement is final.
Signed and dated by both Christopher Beckwith and Tim Reiter.

Taken directly from Elroy's "i550" Blog:
Posted by Christopher at 2:14 PM 1 comments
Sunday, May 6, 2012
x550 - By the numbers...
So the x550 as we've been calling it lately has some interesting differences, and similarities to other boats that are out there. column one will be V1.0 is TTB, V2.0 is the Watershed variant, and x550 is V6.0 of the design in our files...

V1.0 v2.0 x550
WL Height 7.1 7.2 7.1
WL Length 214 211 216
Disp(optimum) 1300 1325 1290
Vol. Immersed 20.05 20.21 20.05
COB Z 111.2 110.8 111.8
COB Y 4.6 4.6 4.6
CLA Z 98.6 98.4 98.8
CLA Y 4.5 4.5 4.5
PRis. Coef. .56 .57 .56
Disp. Speed 5.67 5.61 5.69
D/L 97 104 96
S/L 2.0 1.95 2.0
D/L Speed 8.42 8.15 8.48

The odd shape in the stern, that early builders complained about, actually provides a number of things to the boat and acted much like the reflex does on the current design. I know one boat was cut up, because of this odd stern shape. I know the kit I got (hull 36) had this, and we left it in, as does 336, but we made the mistake of fairing it out, then adding it back in. Those that would like optimized files for their build, please contact me via e-mail and I will get you raw DXF of the optimized parts.

In the never ending i550 saga, it seemed odd to me that I was able to optimize the boat further in the last two years. funny, when I compared to the original drawings sent to TTB, the optimization is actually pretty close to what we sent him back in the begining. A few builder concerns had us changing a few things, apparently not for the better.

1) We were told by Mr. Beckwith that the design he sold us was the same design as TTB.
2) When Tim lofted up the original templates, he found a few errors and pointed them out to CB, who agreed they were, indeed errors, and he would redraw those pages. We have the original plan set #42 that contains those errors. For a long time, we corrected those pages by hand, which probably some of you received.
3) CB finally got around to correcting those pages, and put a revised date on them. We also have copies of those plans.
4) As to "Those that would like optimized files for their builds, please contact me and I will get you raw DXF {probably taken from his pirated copy of the latest drawings} of the optimized parts." This is a flagrant violation of his agreement:
"Any distribution by the "Designer" must be approved by the "Manufacturer".
5) Publishing by CB via his blog of any dimensions pertaining to the i550 hull form, original or new, is "distribution" and violates the agreement. This puts i550.Org in a tenuous legal position, as it is published on i550.Org.
6) Stated also in the agreement is "The "Manufacturer" will receive support as needed from the "Designer". CB actions are the opposite of support.
7) The CB modifications, of course, are way outside the specifications of the i550 Class (i550class.org).
8) The CB modifications are outside the NACA rules. Careful reading of, and comparison with, CB supplied dimensions that show this is true in more than two specific areas. We are not going to make things easy for you. Find them yourself.
9) CB has no legal right to publish or otherwise make available any modifications to a design that he sold to Tim Reiter of Watershed Sailboats, "unencumbered."
10. CB misrepresented to Tim Reiter that he had sold and delivered 57 hull plans to actual buyers, and then provided nothing but a list of very few emails, names, addresses, who we wrote to with most of them saying they had just contacted CB as interested but never bought, and also many emails that just bounced back to us. Every once in a while, someone shows up & says "I bought # whatever plan set," and we have had to take the person's word as CB kept no real records. Although, he did give us Hull#1 as TTB, CB claims in his construction Guide to selling about 30 sets of plans in one week, but our records show at least 34 are still unaccounted for; several others have been accounted for by plan set holders contacting Watershed directly. CB had lately said he has full records, and if he does, he should produce them, so that we may verify if they are the true owners of those hull set numbers. Even then, how could we believe him now? And we mention this only here because we know how his mind works. During the international class failed election, he asked us to give him 5 more hull #s, so he could have enough votes to win "Chief Measurer." Now, he's going to warp that thinking into the rights to all those first 60 hulls that he conned us into believing he had sold and delivered prior to making an agreement with Watershed.

As to CB's last query, "Was Tim appointed chief measurer of the i550 NA class ? I guess I missed that meeting...."
Duh. They (to our knowledge) have never had a meeting, certainly not an AGM and have elected no officers. They have no treasurer, but yet they collect dues. Therefore, you cannot appeal your boat to US Sailing, because NA.Org isn't even a class yet. Nor are the other 2 current proposed classes.
Before, we made a written and verbal agreement with NA.Org through Eric Rimkus, I emailed US Sailing and hypothetically asked if two classes could exist for the same boat under their organization. What I received back was "It would be unusual, but it is possible. There is no rule against it." I made certain with that email before committing ourselves to allow NA.Org to be affiliated with our business, because we did not wish to block Class.Org from forming under US Sailing if they so chose to do so. Even though we had our differences with the former International Class, trying to form a constitution, we still considered them our friends and first customers. T-Ford bought the real kit # 1, Kevin bought kit # 2, Jeff bought kit # 3 and Chris Farmer bought kit # 4.
There would have been no Watershed, except for those guys. And there would have been 4 less i550's in the U.S. waters early on. Now we have made up our differences with Class.Org. They have what Matt's site used to have, builders and prospective builders helping and encouraging each other in a respectful and fun manner. Many former i550.Org and NA.Org members have moved to that forum or post up on the SA Sportboat i550 thread, the Australian site or on many of the Facebook pages around the world. They rarely post up at this site, because of the rancor. Before this controversy, there were only about a post or 2 per week and only 5 discussions. Once it went 2 weeks without any kind of post.
Matt built this site with very good intentions, and it has become the #1 i550 site that everyone (at least in the beginning) comes to find out about the i550. We don't want trouble here, as this site is great publicity for the boat. The last SA front page of JRay's beautiful fish keel bulb got not one nice comment here on i550.Org. We gave the SA editor our site address, but he directed it to i550.Org site. Why? Because it is the original one, with the best pictures. We believe the slow down is caused by two individuals who keep trying to make trouble for our business. When someone asks something like "Why isn't your business plan working out?" how do we not defend our business? Then they whine and make specious legal threats to Matt, and he has to cave into their demands. We had to stop selling through Duckworks because Eric and CB complained about our advertising in general. Duckworks sold about one plan set for us every 3 months or so. It's a small web business that has been around a long time. They said there was no way they could figure out why Matt's lawyer advised him that we could not be on his site and still sell through Duckworks. But they were so nice, and gracious and left all the i550 info and pictures up, with their site no longer selling the plans. NA.Org is selling marine materials like discount epoxy on this site. Why do they get to advertise? We probably will be the next to get kicked off i550.Org, (that's why we are also posting this on other sites) as CB is reportedly threatening to make a trademark infringement claim on Matt's site.
That's the thanks Matt gets for promoting the i550? We are immensely grateful to Matt. If we could buy i550.Org, we would do so in a heartbeat. Maybe someday we can, or begin our own forum.
CB sold us a design called the i550 and he is threatening a trademark infringement on Matt? CB tried that last year with the Class.Org organizers. He never followed through, as always.
People are continually confused that we don't own i550.Org. We get calls in broken English saying "I want buy i550 planos from .Org."
Meanwhile, all other forums still allow our guerilla advertising and posts of all sorts from all over the world and inquiries about the i550 continue to grow. When someone from Bulgaria calls you in the morning and someone calls you from Turkey that same evening, you know you have something.
Last night, in one of CB's several snide emails he said his posting up a variant of "his" design on his blog was all a big joke. Well, CB, we are not laughing.
As we told you last night, "Don't go away mad, just go away."
Cease and Desist. We've had all the "support" from you that we can tolerate.
Tim Reiter & Susan James
Watershed Sailboats
http://www.i550sportboat.com/
i550Watershed@yahoo.com
Last edited by M&S on Wed May 09, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M&S

Re: Just Posted on i550.Org

Postby slowpoke » Wed May 09, 2012 12:28 am

Read this, feel sorry for you, hope he falls in a hole and can't get out.
Rocky Shelton
Slowpoke, #288
Tijuana, Mexico
slowpoke

Postby Chad » Wed May 09, 2012 1:12 am

He's agreed to only provide his mods to plan holders, right? As long as the NA folks let his design play in their class, I don't see a problem. I see it as hastening the demise of that class, if his mods are as beneficial as he claims. Let them cannibalize each other. If they want a home-built hull development arms race class, let them try it. The fact that that idea was the core issue in Chris' election bid, which was soundly rejected, tells me there isn't much market for it. Unless the NA folks have found a whole new constituency that was unrepresented on the old forum. If they have, good for them but it's the quietest groundswell I've ever seen.

Who ever heard of a boat's designer NOT getting elected to a class position, anyway?!?

I think Chris is good at winding people up, and enjoys the attention it gets him. I don't think there is any substance to his current ploy, and it isn't worth going to war over. That's just my opinion.
Chad

Postby ryderp » Wed May 09, 2012 2:00 am

This could make a good reality TV show. Of course it would be possible to optimize the design of the i550, but I think that most people want: 1)to have a boat that is fun to sail, and 2) to have enought of a standard so that when owners get together to race, that the sailer's skill probably determines the result rather than the mods. In any case, WS has been very reasonable to me, and of course I like this forum because people help each other instead of cutting each other down.

Phil
ryderp

Postby M&S » Wed May 09, 2012 2:57 pm

thank you for your thoughts and support, we appreciate so much these considered opinions.

Tim and Susan.
M&S

Postby Big_Dog » Wed May 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Obituary – 1550.org
It was what moved the i550 forward for a long time, however today the i550.org site has been taken down. In the end Matt wrote:

The i550.org site is dead.
It was time.
Thanks for all the memories.

Hopefully Matt get the time to build his boat.
In his last email he was about to buy the plywood.
Jon
#36 – Still In the Dawg House
Columbia, SC - Lake Murray
Big_Dog

Postby M&S » Wed May 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Thank You posted on SA i550 thread this a.m.:
The i550.org site has been taken down.

The creator, FireballMatt, has been pivotal in the growth of the i550 sportboat. He started the site nearly five years ago on a volunteer basis and has been an incredible asset.

The i550 world is indebted to him and his efforts and support of the i550.

Watershed Sailboats (T&S) especially thank  Matt  for helping put the i550 on the map.

i550sportboat.com remains the source for Plans and  all the other stuff.

Watershed Sailboats & i550class.org are the places to go for all the knowledge and how to build stuff.

Matt, thank you, warmest wishes in all your continuing activities.
M&S

Postby Tim Ford » Wed May 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Too bad, there was actually a lot of great info on how to build at that site. On the other hand, this could be a good way to pull in the people who are not trouble-makers and who want to be part of a community that doesn't tolerate a whole lot of B.S.

I think the mods/admins here are going to have to be somewhat vigilant over the next few weeks to keep the trolls at bay.
Tim Ford

Postby Chad » Thu May 10, 2012 12:13 am

M&S, I think it would be a good idea to tone down the aggressive marketing on threads about other boats on SA. It turns into a tit for tat, that makes it unpleasant to go there, and turns everybody off.

I recall when a dozen or so builders regularly contributed updates, and everybody felt the class enthusiasm- that's what is needed, if ever there was a way to get that back...

I know that genie is out of he bottle, but driving the good guys away still doesn't seem productive.

I know the biggest reason to avoid buying a Viper is the assholes that represent the class (on SA). I wouldn't want to join that group, and I think we need to avoid being seen in the same way.

Again, just my opinion.
Chad

Postby fireballmatt » Thu May 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Tim Ford wrote:Too bad, there was actually a lot of great info on how to build at that site. On the other hand, this could be a good way to pull in the people who are not trouble-makers and who want to be part of a community that doesn't tolerate a whole lot of B.S.

There shouldn't be many "trolls" coming over from the .org now that it's down. The decision I made wasn't just about drama, but also about declining numbers. Most of the people posting were either from here or the NA or AU, there was very little new blood coming in at all. Page Views were down from about 200-300k per month during it's heyday to about 10k per month as of Monday. The majority of that 10k were folks just glancing at the forums, then hopping over to the Blogs section and leaving the site from there.

Basically with the split of the classes the .org had just become a dumping ground for when anyone wanted to pick a fight. That's not good for the boat, it's not good for the classes or all the good folks that are involved. So I killed it. It was obsolete.
fireballmatt

Postby cstay » Thu May 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Is there any way to keep some of the old useful postings online somewhere? So they can be viewed but not posted on.
cstay

Postby fireballmatt » Thu May 10, 2012 3:01 pm

Yes, it's definitely something I'm working on. Trust me, I didn't just delete the whole thing out of disgust, its all carefully backed up and all the images and posts have been saved.

I'll be putting together a new installation of the site and displaying all the posts in the building threads. All the general/non-building stuff will not be on display.
fireballmatt

Postby admin » Thu May 10, 2012 3:11 pm

Excellent, thanks Matt and also thanks for all you have done over the years for us. It must have been a bit of a drag, from time to time. We appreciate the time and effort you put into it (or at least _I_ do!) --tf
admin
Site Admin

Postby noemar » Thu May 24, 2012 1:54 am

Thanks Matt
noemar

Return to General i550 Chatter