i550 north regatta

Talk about it.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Re: i550 north regatta

Postby Mist » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Big Dog, I have been considering a modification to my bow-sprit. A retractable potato launcher. No display of effection equiped like that! -Mist
Mist i550 #296 Tim K
Mist

Postby Kevin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:21 pm

That would be a serious road trip for me. And Chad too, but I think he is a little more crazy than I am. Mid August would probably be the best time for such a trip for me. 2nd choice would be the 2nd weekend in September. I'd be solo for the later date for sure. And I'll need to address a few trailer issues too, don't want a break down on a long trip like that.

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby cstay » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:30 pm

If anybody needs crew i have a good amount of talented sailors who im sure i could convince to come out sailing.
cstay

Postby Chad » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Looking at the boat distribution map, I wonder if the Gougeon (RIP Jan) boat could make it? I recall "Vegas" being interested in class racing during their build.

And, has anybody had any contact with Paul in Maine with "Slightly Barbaric"?
Chad

Postby Tim Ford » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:20 pm

I haven't been in touch with Paul since he was in The Acad. What's pathetic is: I was literally within a mile and a half of his location on the Map when I was in Portsmouth last summer for 3 days. Should've checked the map! I guess his first gig out of The Acad is at Portsmouth Naval Station?

(even worse, I was within 5 miles of cstay's project too! gawd, what a dumass I can be....sheesha louisa...)

May want to wait a few weeks before contacting Vegas and let the Jan-thing heal a little....I wish I had met the man at some point, the eulogies people have written are very moving.
Tim Ford

Postby Chad » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Yeah on waiting to discuss with señor vegas -not the best time to ask the boss for the keys.

While on the subject of connecting while in town (a different town), who's going to the Chicago boat show later in January? Thinking of taking the train up, might take the family as well...
Saw Jeff last year, Kevin was gone I recall, any others?
Chad

Postby jray » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:36 am

When everything gets sorted out and a venue and date is set I will look into flights to join in the fray. Would be great to actually meet some of the i550 people I've been in contact with over the last four plus years. All helped me get my build done! With regrets the Twist will have to stay home for this one, just a bit to far to pull right now.
Jon
#061 Critical Twist
jray

Postby Kevin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:09 am

Chad, I'm currently planning on going to Strictly Sail if you are coming up. I was traveling that weekend which was unfortunate. It's always fun to get a sailing fix in while the snow flies outside, at least the dreams get fired up to full strength that way. On a related note, there may also soon be another i550 in the hood. Had a interested sailor in my garage yesterday checking out PipeDream for reference. More details on that as they become available.

I suppose will need to work out a crew lottery system for the NE regatta. I vote for the 2nd weekend in August. (trying to get back on topic)
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Chad » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:41 pm

I'll be at SS Saturday afternoon and Sunday until about noon or 1.

Good to hear about another build, and 2nd week of August will probably work -sort of the beginning of the window for me to hit the road.
Chad

Postby Chad » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:45 am

Been two weeks, sent the vegster a message:

Hey,
First, really sorry to here about Jan- I never met the guy but have read a lot about him over the years. Definitely a loss to us all.

Some guys are planning to meet up late summer for some informal i550 racing, maybe Toronto, maybe as far east as Lake Champlain, dunno. Is the Googe boat available to come play? Do they trust you with the keys?

Best,
-Chad

-will update if news is heard.
Chad

Postby Kevin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:18 pm

From a post on another thread it appears that this event could happen in Toronto or NY.

Current target date is the 3rd weekend in August (August 16 - 18).

Lots of planning still to be done.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Marino » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:15 pm

I have been able to talk to one of our past commadores and current Race Director at Mimico Crusing Club.
Both of them support the idea and are willing to let me contact them when I need advice and direction.
Attached is a list of items that were briefly discussed with both the Commadore and Race Director.
There will be more to follow in time.
Attachments
List draft nuber 1.docx
(16.85 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Marino Zorz
Toronto, Ontario
Build License 307
Build log: http://photos.app.goo.gl/M2m7Afvf2f8p35nz5
Marino

Postby cstay » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:53 am

I am unable to sail in those dates as i will be racing the Soling North American Champs. Not that i matter :p but also my club is hosting that event so having them run the races would not be possible.
cstay

Postby Tim Ford » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks for pursuing this, Marino!
I was looking at the map (don't have the chart dialed in yet) and it looks like an interesting place to visit and sail out of. What's the sea state like in a big and building southerly, somewhat gnarly? Also: water temps in mid-August...60's? 70's? high 50's? :-(
More & more events are now combining a distance race...I'm not sure that would be suitable, not knowing the area, but it might be worth a thought. BlocK ISland has one and even the stodgy Annapolis Race Week has begun trying to incorporate one into the schedule. Rounding Toronto/Olympic Island? Is that even possible in a sailboat?
Tim Ford

Postby Chad » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 pm

My i550 plans are getting harder to commit to as my Hawaii plans seem to be pretty firm now- I'm almost regretting that!

I see that Toronto is about a 13 hour drive for me- not too bad, easily doable in a day. That makes it an easier option than Champlain, for whatever that's worth. (I still want to get all the way east eventually for my own reasons, just not sure that's going to happen this year with the calendar shaping up the way it is).

My daughter starts school on 8/15 (why do they do that???), so I'd prefer an earlier date in August (9-10-11th), or even pushing back until Labor day weekend?

Total non-sequitur, but while googling maps and drive times, I noticed my boat is on the google map aerial picture! Has anybody else's been thusly immortalized?
i550onGoogleMap.jpg
Chad

Postby admin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:50 pm

NoSeeYumm.jpg
NoSeeYumm.jpg (195.83 KiB) Viewed 6158 times

Alas, mine is occulted by tress. It's there though!
admin
Site Admin

Postby Marino » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:01 am

Don't forget the dates i suggested were long weekends that I felt were best for everyone.
I've been informed that the club executives should have the proper presentation package for discussion by the fall. The dates can be changed if needed. So if August is best for everyone, I will place a date that is in August in the presentation package.
By the way Chad, everyone on the race committee were very impressed with your i550 and the features you incorporated into it.
Attached is a photo of Mimico Crusing Club(MCC).
Attachments
imagemimico club house.jpg
Marino Zorz
Toronto, Ontario
Build License 307
Marino

Postby Kevin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:59 pm

On dates, I also have a student to take to college the 16th of August, so that weekend is out for me. If early August is an issue for Chad then I'd vote for going to late August. I will probably be crewless either way so hopefully other builders will come along or locals will help out.

Kevin.

p.s. I'm in possession of the "epoxy cup" which is a fine piece of sailing hardware. ;-)
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Marino » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:42 pm

Well, I have not received any feed-back from the club in getting support.
I wanted to make into a special event that would be an event worth coming to.
There are two other clubs I have been advised to contact and see if I get any response from them.
They are both within the Toronto area.
One of the two supported Derek Hatfield's "Spirit Of Canada" attempted in the "Vendee Globe Race".
Marino Zorz
Toronto, Ontario
Build License 307
Marino

Postby DragonKraft » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Looking at setting up a small boat shop here in the GTA. Looking for other owners near me. 30 plus years of wood/epoxy experience and looking forward to getting back into loaded structures.
DragonKraft

Previous

Return to General i550 Chatter