Another Regatta in 2013

Talk about it.

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Another Regatta in 2013

Postby Kevin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:05 pm

I'd like to propose that we give the "midwest i550 regatta" another go during the 2013 sailing season.

DATES:
August 30, 31
or
September 7, 8
or
September 28, 29

a. Chicago - Montrose harbor. 2 local boats. 2 boats in Lake Forest who need to be contacted, Guest rooms available. Local club has a circle of pins that we can utilize. Potential local club support, but that would take some doing and possibly some joining by myself.
b. Brookville, IN - We could go back down south. We know the lay of the land now.
c. A lake further North in Indiana?
d. Put In Bay, OH

The intention is to go sailing, race some and have a great time with fellow builders. Trading boats, and crew and helping each other figure out what works and what doesn't work is all on the table.

Interested?

Not interested?

Who wants to fly in to join in the fun even if they don't drag a boat over?

Shall we put the "Epoxy Cup" up to the winner?

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Re: Another Regatta in 2013

Postby Chad » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:24 pm

I'm certainly game. Will be back home on Friday, consult the wife, figure out when she says I can go play!
Chad

Postby ryderp » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:15 pm

Definitely interested, but I need to check on the schedule.
ryderp

Postby Kevin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:41 pm

So dates ...

August 31, Sept 1 is Labor day weekend. I thought it was the weekend before Labor day. But that does give us more time for travel as Monday will be a holiday.

Earlier probably equals warmer. And if it's in Chicago, the weather changes daily. For example, it might be 70 on the water today with wind out of the north at 15kts. It was 93 2 days ago with 10 from the SE.

August 17,18 is also an option on my calendar.

Anyone else interested? Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Chad » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:08 pm

Labrador weekend is sounding good here. I'm open to locations, but Brookville (E Indiana) is probably about as far as I could travel for a weekend.
Chad

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Labor day weekend will work for me if we have it in Chicago, I can't travel and camp that weekend due to a family commitment Sunday evening. To the good, we have the potential to get 3 days of sailing in. I'd have to check with the harbor master about keeping the boats in the water. And the launching is via hoist, not ramp at Montrose Harbor.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Chad » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:37 am

Hmm, no camping within an hour's drive it seems. Don't know why, but hotels and small boat racing seem antithetical. I'll try to adjust, though.

Anybody else wanna race/sail that weekend?
Chad

Postby Kevin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:30 pm

No camping? If you need to camp in order to feel like you are racing then I can offer you "camping" accommodations at 3 levels located less than 30 minutes from sailing venue with fantastic coffee shop on the way.
a. Primitive (fairly flat grass and fire ring with running water)
b. Moderate (add access to restrooms and electricity)
c. Deluxe (add access to guest room with a real bed and roof, you can still cook outside if you want to but we have a kitchen).

Other relevant info includes...
- potential crew. I'm working into the Wednesday night beer cans at the club which should bring good connections. There is are large V15 and laser fleets with interested folks.
- Saturday night BBQ hosted by myself back at the ranch or on the lawn at the harbor (I can add fireworks if we stay at the club, they have them every sat night at Navy pier and you can see them from the lawn.)
- Mast up storage on a trailer available. Slips are generally full so we would have to pull the boats.
- Parking is on the street and afternoon traffic is crazy, we just need to be clever about start times and where we park for easy exit in the afternoon.
- 1nm racing circle off shore from the club for 360 degree racing options. It's out by the Wilson Crib (water intake for city of Chicago) if you want to check out.
- 2 boats located at the harbor. Anikin is about to get his keel back in.
- Potential 4 days of sailing (Friday through Monday) depending on interest and desire.

That's what I can offer here. And that offer is open Labor day weekend or any other weekend that works out. Marks are pulled 10/15 and the harbor officially closes 10/31.

Kevin.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Chad » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Swanky camping, eh? I might have to sneak out and dig my own pit toilet just to add some authenticity to the experience...

Phil, does Chicago work for you?

Maybe we should harass Jeff to drag his for sale boat to town?

How many tents fit in your yard, Kevin?
Chad

Postby Kevin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:48 pm

3 would fit easy. I also have a 2 guest rooms because kid #1 will be moving to Lawrence KS in 2 weeks. And you could set up 2 tents in his room if you wanted too.

Erwan also lives in Evanston so we have overflow if we need it.

Kevin.

Any digging should be out behind the red twig dogwoods.
Kevin McDaniel
i550 #074 - PipeDream
Kevin

Postby Chad » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:45 pm

Well, for various reasons (a fuzzy yellow ball at Wimbeldon, and some epoxy application going on in Chicago) our Labor Day weekend plans didn't happen.

So instead I invited some friends out for a fun sail, heading to a swimming dock at the lake. Four adults, three kids (one just ten months old), breeze around 8 (averaging between the 0 's and 12's, crazy lake!). I tried the B sails, a Hobie 16 main and Star jib. They worked swell, and fit really well. I used 1/2" PVC pipes for the main battens (they cost more than the sail, if you buy 'real' ones). Good time had by all, and it appears I've won my daughter back over to the 'sailing is fun' side. It feels like it's been a bleak summer as far as getting out in my own boat, but I'm hoping to make up for lost time this fall.

Sorry no pics.

Anybody have any September ideas?
Chad

Return to General i550 Chatter